facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Picture Attachment problem (09 Jul 2022)

Due to the extraordinary growth of the membership and resources, we are once again bumping up against hosting limits. I am working on a fix. In the meantime, the forum should function, but you won’t be able to attach images. Working as fast s we can to fix. Thanks for your patience. - Makotosun

1978 DT250E | Project: neglect

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic 1978 DT250E | Project: neglect

Very nice. I like the key problem, myself. I've done that before (yesterday, matter of fact, as the buyer for my CT-2 was on his way over.)
Where did you fine those rear winker lights? The new K&S 25-4015 rear turn signals?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 87warrior
25 Jul 2022 20:42 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 87warrior
  • 87warrior's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by 87warrior on topic 1978 DT250E | Project: neglect

Thank you for the kind words. This project is turning out better than I anticipated. My initial goal was to simply get it running and rideable... now I am just having fun!

The more folks I tell about my key debacle too, the more stories I hear from others about similar things they have done!

I found the rear turn signal assemblies on eBay from seller "atvunlimited". These aftermarket replacement blinker assemblies do come with a 12v bulb in them.
1978 DT250
Last edit: 26 Jul 2022 10:25 by 87warrior.
26 Jul 2022 10:23 #12

Replied by msavitt on topic 1978 DT250E | Project: neglect

87warrier - the bike looks terrific

I have a '78 DT400E which shares same exhaust and other nearly impossible to find parts...in fact I had a blue tank from a 250E and painted it yellow and got the DC Plastics side covers and fenders and I got to say they were terrific.  I was warned that parts would be hard to find, but I love the bike.

I am still on the hunt for the upper chain guard or locking cover for aircleaner....insane prices, hoping to find as part of a larger assembly
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 87warrior
26 Jul 2022 14:42 #13

• 87warrior

I attempted to fit the DC side covers last night and was disappointed. The precut holes that slide over the rubber grommets on the frame pins were not cut in the right spot. I expected the side panels to come with no cuts or holes based on the description. If you have any suggestions to fit the side covers I would love to hear them. 
1978 DT250
27 Jul 2022 07:11 #14

• 87warrior

As I mentioned above, the DC side panels have been a bit of a disappointment regarding their fit with the pre-drilled holes. Nonetheless, they are loosely installed on the bike and I only lost one on my last trial ride down the road. 

After installing reproduction mirrors from The Vintage Spoke, I turned my attention to the Autolube pump, hopeful that it would come to life. I pulled the cover to adjust the cable and check for the shim clearance. To my surprise the cable was removed from the pump wheel. After snaking it around and hooking it up, I managed to get the cable adjusted correctly (I think) and verify the gap on the plunger. I bled the pump and then started the bike with the oil output line in a bottle and the carburetor plugged, (I had been running premix) and it wasn't pumping oil. It took several minutes of runtime before the oil reached the end of the hose. 

Naturally I had to take it for a ride.

After riding it around my county block (a 10 mile loop of twisty gravel roads) I discovered the shifter seal and the seal behind the sprocket are leaking enough to drip on the floor. I also realized the handlebars are bent pretty bad, so that will need to be addressed.

I hope to take it into get the VIN inspection done (Kansas law for bill of sale antiques) next week so I can get a tag. 
1978 DT250
04 Aug 2022 15:17 #15

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Sneezles61
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic 1978 DT250E | Project: neglect

My handle bars were bent a bit as well… I took them right off and laid them on my wooden jobber table, and with a heavy rubber mallet (the kind you wack a wood flooring air nailer with) I was able to straighten them out enough that I can’t tell they were wonky…
Sneezles61
04 Aug 2022 15:25 #16

Replied by MarkT on topic 1978 DT250E | Project: neglect

Nice job!

Check to make sure the transmission vent tube is clear...  I've found quite a few plugged which can cause the shifter and output shaft seals to leak. 

On DC Plastics... so strange...  none of the ones I got were ever drilled...  they seem like good people, you might try to contact them and see what they say.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
04 Aug 2022 16:43 #17

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart