facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Looking For Some Help

• phrog44
  • phrog44's Avatar Topic Author

Looking For Some Help was created by phrog44

I have been slowly resurrecting my 1972 Yamaha DT2.  I have replaced or repaired broken or missing parts, including the wiring harness.  It now starts but needs clutch repair or adjustment.  None of the lights work.   i think I have hit the end of my patience and expertise but, have come too far to give up.   Am looking for someone local to Grand Rapids, Michigan that I can hire to help get to a final ridable condition.
23 Jun 2022 11:23 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic Looking For Some Help

You got a nice DT2 to start with.  I just got my DT2 roadworthy and registered for the street, have been using it as an around town bike since highway speeds are too much for this bike.  I had a lost spark issue and was lucky enough to find a fellow member close enough to me that I could take my bike to him for his help.  He was able to get the spark back for me but I too had no lights, it ended up being the connections at the bottom of the key switch were broken.  After an aborted attempt I sent my key switch/harness to Deet for a rebuild, all lights worked as they should now.  Good luck with your project, lot's of very knowledgeable help here.

EDIT:  oh yeah, I clutch didn't work when I got the bike so I completely rebuilt it from clutch cable to friction plates, works like a charm now.
1976 DT400C
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
Last edit: 23 Jun 2022 14:18 by AirborneSilva.
23 Jun 2022 14:16 #2

• phrog44

Replied by phrog44 on topic Looking For Some Help

thanks for the reply.  Good to know that I am not alone.  I may have a bigger problem than you however.  My key switch was pretty much destroyed at some point in the past.  The switch for the '72 DT2 may be unique to that year.  I could not find a replacement, so I wired in a generic switch, trying to duplicate the same functions.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an accurate wiring diagram for 1972 models so, it's hard to be sure that I have 100%.
23 Jun 2022 15:58 #3

Try this one:

1976 DT400C
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
23 Jun 2022 17:18 #4

This message has an attachment file.

Replied by MarkT on topic Looking For Some Help

These are simple machines.  Diagrams are out there and if you think what you found is not correct, many here can either help find the correct one or help with understanding the system.

DEET or others can also help with switches.  It seems complicated but it really isn't once you get into it.  First step is to ID what you have by VIN and then wire colors and pictures of what you have questions about. 

This image is hidden for guests.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
23 Jun 2022 18:17 #5

• phrog44

Thanks.  I'll need to check it out a little more closely but, it looks close so far.
23 Jun 2022 19:22 #6

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Looking For Some Help

Here are a couple of photos of the ignition switch - it is important that you have them to hand for reference when searching fleabay for parts!

The part number is 275-82508-71 and this part was fitted to the DT1E, DT2, DT3, RT1B, RT2 and RT3.

If you have the time, search under all Yamaha main and ignition switches, as very often a seller accidentally mis-identifies them.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
24 Jun 2022 00:19 #7

This message has attachments images.

• phrog44

Actually, this is what I started with.   
24 Jun 2022 06:29 #8

This message has an attachment image.

Yeah it's come a long way!  where did you get the paint and what's it called?  I'm looking for paint for mine, from what I've seen in the color match thread house of kolor suset pearl is about the closest match but it's not cheap, like me

This image is hidden for guests.

1976 DT400C
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
24 Jun 2022 10:19 #9

• phrog44

I wish I could help you with a paint code or other information I had it repainted by a local guy that does only small custom work.   I gave him the original parts and, I am pretty sure he custom mixed them himself to match.  It is a near match for color, but slightly more metallic than the original.  The Yamaha decal is a little larger than original.  Right now, it looks better than it runs. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva
24 Jun 2022 13:25 #10

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart