facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Restore your shrunken oil tank cap?

• DaveinSC
  • DaveinSC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Restore your shrunken oil tank cap? was created by DaveinSC

I know you can buy a replacement pretty cheap but not cheaper than me. Every one of my bikes suffer from the shrunken cap syndrome so I thought I’d experiment with a way to fix them. I turned a slug of aluminum with a little taper then a sharper taper to fit the hole in the bottom. I used my lathe and tail stock for the next part but a vise would work fine. I set it up to press the slug in then took a heat gun to soften it and pressed it  in. After it was cool I pulled the slug out and it screwed into the tank nice and tight again. I did a second one with the same results so it seems to work pretty good. I don’t know if or how long before they shrink again but for now it’s good. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Dirtboy, KennyV, Ht1kid, Jack
16 Sep 2021 10:55 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DEET on topic Restore your shrunken oil tank cap?

How much to do 6 of them?
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
16 Sep 2021 11:11 #2

• DaveinSC
  • DaveinSC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by DaveinSC on topic Restore your shrunken oil tank cap?

I don’t know if I’d be comfortable with doing them as a job, I’d hate to screw up someone’s parts but if you want I can make you a slug tool so you could do your own. It’s not hard but you have to be careful not to melt the cap with the heat gun but have enough heat to make the slug go in pretty easy. 
16 Sep 2021 11:32 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic Restore your shrunken oil tank cap?

What a great idea. Had that problem with our fuel tank caps on think it was MX250's on similar. On my bad AT1 oil tank cap i stretched some thin pushbike tube over it & forced it in with grease or oil--& couldn't get it out next time without a struggle. Lucky it didn't break.
17 Sep 2021 03:26 #4

Replied by tennbamaman on topic Restore your shrunken oil tank cap?

I always thought this was just my oil cap.  Never understood it as i knew it was original and or appeared to be.  I used teflon tape to try to make it a little thicker but that still does not work good.
17 Sep 2021 12:55 #5

Replied by MarkT on topic Restore your shrunken oil tank cap?

You can still buy new ones from Yamaha too.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
17 Sep 2021 13:02 #6

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart