facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

4 month dt360 resto in a nutshell

• bart
  • bart's Avatar Topic Author

4 month dt360 resto in a nutshell was created by bart

hi all, this was my winter project for 2020 and this forum has been very usefull.  just a few pictures of before and after of my 360A. the only thing the bike had going for it is the frame and engine mumbers match, oh, and the tank wasnt too bad inside, the seat bucket wasnt too bad.  the engine was stuck with rust and totally worn out, the forks and rear shocks were wasted. one thing that was obvious from the owner of 30 years ago the bike was loved. the bike had 4700 hard miles on it and ended its time with the former owner with a 4th over piston that was SHOT. vince @ MR crankshaft rebuilt this crank and did another great job for me. on a visit at sportwheels by jordan MN, about an hour from where i live , i was looking for a usable cylinder. i met another guy that i had run into there from time to time and said " i dont suppose you have seen a 74 DT360 cylinder laying around?" his hand just happened to be right on top of one and with total surprise he looked down lifted it up and said " like this one" no flipping way!! i knew then that it was ment to be. in his hand was a stock bore cylinder that cleaned up with a light hone . the piston rings were the spendy part @ 60 dollars from ebay and the new standard piston was a good deal @ 25 dollars. all new seals crank bearings wheel bearings brakes tires tubes rimstrips new tapered bearings for the steering heads. the fork tubes are from a 77 dt250 and the bodys are from the 74 dt360 and they seem to work sweet giving another 4" of travel.the rear fender was literally smashed and rusted but @ 15 dollars i thought i would give it a tray and managed to get a decent usable rear fender. the front fender is original as is the headlight and gauges. i know the bike was loved because there was a chunk out of the left side case where the chain had grabbed the rear stud for the chain cover and broke it . the guy split the cases and drilled and tapped the broken piece and with a washer and silicone bolted the piece back onto the case . no jb weld in the early 70s? i had the piece welded back on and kept the matching cases.
i used the ppg bright green 45732 that was in the paint match thread. it isnt quite dark enough for the original but this bike is for fun and no museam piece and i really like the color and am glad i went with it. the seat and seat foam are from KDI reproductions as well as the fuel cap seal kit. im sure there are points i missed and forgot but i really wanted to post this and give a big thanks to the info here.the bike runs and rides like a dream ! i know this is kind of an odd way of doing this but i just dont have time for the " build log" and constant updates. i hope the pics come through right!.ENJOY!! 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ajc, MarkT, swm, mdscott, JayB, pabdt, Schu, msavitt, Jack, Top Jimmy
Last edit: 09 Apr 2021 19:54 by bart.
09 Apr 2021 19:50 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by pabdt on topic 4 month dt360 resto in a nutshell

great work sir !   I wish I was half as fast as you.   Mine resto is taking forever. 
74 DT 360 ... resto in progress.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bart
09 Apr 2021 21:36 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic 4 month dt360 resto in a nutshell

Nice work.  Due to safety, one concern I must mention is with using 77 inner fork tubes (including damping rods I assume or you wouldn't gain travel) with the 74 lowers is "overlap".  At full extension there may not be much strength because the bottom of the inner tubes may be almost at the top of the lower sliders? 

I had a friend modify damping rods to get a couple inches more travel when we were kids (homemade mod, not a kit) and the inner tubes broke out of the sliders when he landed from a small jump.  It was not pretty.  Luckily he wasn't going too fast but still broke his arm, a couple ribs, and collarbone.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
09 Apr 2021 21:36 #3

• bart

Replied by bart on topic 4 month dt360 resto in a nutshell

Thanks for the replys.the only difference i could find with the dt250 lower fork legs was the lack of the mounting points for the fork brace otherwise they were identicle.the dt250 was a silver monoshock bike matbe a 76? One of the original fork tubes was badly scored.
10 Apr 2021 07:45 #4

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by nhsteve on topic 4 month dt360 resto in a nutshell

It sounds like you got real lucky with the cylinder and parts needed, for sure! 

This image is hidden for guests.

10 Apr 2021 07:50 #5

• bart

Yes the bike gods did smile on me with this one.the cylinder find is a story i will never forget.  Heres pics of the desperate case repair the guy had made and the final repair .
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
10 Apr 2021 07:58 #6

Replied by msavitt on topic 4 month dt360 resto in a nutshell

nice job!
another DT360 saved from the scrap heap, enjoy it!
10 Apr 2021 09:20 #7

Replied by nhsteve on topic 4 month dt360 resto in a nutshell

I do kinda have to give kudos to the previous owner to have made that repair. I suspect that 2 part epoxy was available when it was made, but maybe not JB Weld, which works quite well in some applications. I am thinking that he did not have access to, or could not afford, to have it professionaly TIG welded then, and this was his best shot. Like you say, he must have really liked the bike.

Nice TIG welding for your repair. 

This image is hidden for guests.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, bart
11 Apr 2021 08:23 #8

• bart

Yes this bike has been loved.and it is loved once again. Lets try some pics from my phone.  
The following user(s) Liked this Post: mdscott, pabdt, Andy L, Top Jimmy
13 Apr 2021 15:04 #9

Replied by akara1 on topic 4 month dt360 resto in a nutshell

awesome job!!
It really is hard to pick up what a beautiful color that ppg green is on camera, I really like it as well!
16 Apr 2021 11:17 #10

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart