facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Update pics on dt360 project

24 Sep 2020 18:13
Matthew35
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Update pics on dt360 project #1
Got my wheels broke down, polished every spoke and nipple and relaced. Polished my hubs and cleaned everything in the brake drums as well. Was very lucky, the forks were in great shape! Polished my lower tubes, pulled them apart, cleaned them out, and refilled with fresh fork oil. Polished my fork brace like a mirror and got oem style dust boots on, as well as a cable guide, which was missing when I bought the bike. Thanks ebay.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Sep 2020 18:15
Matthew35
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Update pics on dt360 project #2
Pics

The following user(s) Liked this Post Von

24 Sep 2020 18:15
Matthew35
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Update pics on dt360 project #3
More

The following user(s) Liked this Post 2fishkev, Snglsmkr, Pete-RT1

07 Oct 2020 23:57
pabdt
Open Class
Open Class
More
Update pics on dt360 project #4
nice, I'm appreciating your fuel tank. Mine look slike Ali used it for practice. Can appreciate the hub and spoke cleanup

74 DT 360 ... resto in progress.

08 Oct 2020 06:10
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Update pics on dt360 project #5
Looking good. Love the fork brace but hope it doesn't contact the guard under full compression. I know you'll have that in mind though & if its how it was, then must be good. Wish we could buy things like that at reasonable cost down here. Re the spokes, years ago i gave mine a super clean on the wire brush on my bench grinder & built the wheels up again. First sign of water & they all went rusty haha. Learning curve,

19 Oct 2020 11:39
Matthew35
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Update pics on dt360 project #6
About the rust, I was worried about that myself so I hit all the spokes, hubs and rims (basically all the bare aluminum and steel) with clear lacquer. Hope it stays nice. I figured it was worth a shot.

20 Oct 2020 10:16
Matthew35
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Update pics on dt360 project #7
Making progress. Got cases polished up and lacquered. Unforunately, when removing head studs from cylinder, one was seized and broke off. Took nearly a month to get it back from machine shop with helicoil. Had I known, I would have done it myself but c'est la vie. Due to budget constraints, I decided to sandblast and paint my cylinder and head myself. I had wanted to soda blast and Cerakote. As rattle can jobs go, I am happy. Preheated to around 200f before painting to dry. Cured paint (VHT engine enamel black, VHT engine enamel clear) at 200f for several hours. Between coats I sanded the fin edges with a random orbit sander at 220 then 320 grit. Blew off with compressed air, wiped down with clear shop towel, shot clear.

The following user(s) Liked this Post Rick C., JayB, Von

20 Oct 2020 11:11
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Update pics on dt360 project #8
Came out nice! :likey

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

02 Nov 2020 11:29
Matthew35
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Update pics on dt360 project #9
She is now streetable/trailable. Everything knocked out but the tanks and decals. One upgrade I really like is that I switched to DT100 footpegs. I have size 13 (US) feet so now I have way better spacing at the brake and shifter, and the pegs are back closer to the swing arm pivot as all modern bikes have switched to for better control/balance. Powder coated my shock springs and am very happy with results, chrome was far too expensive and the black paint look was ugly in my opinion. I blacked out the recessed letters on the case with black engine enamel sprayed into its cap and applied with a fine brush. Then clear lacquered the polished cases. I balanced my wheels by static balancing using the axles across a makeshift stand of blocking and a jackstand using brass spoke weights. I used a fine Reed vise to compress the shock springs and zip ties to hold the compression for reassembly. I used Maxima shock oil to refill the shocks after draining, cleaning, purging, and repainting them. They were in remarkably good condition considering their age.

02 Nov 2020 11:33
Matthew35
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Update pics on dt360 project #10
Pics

The following user(s) Liked this Post JayB, Jack

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart