facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Suggestions for cylinder paint prep-first pics

17 Sep 2020 16:49
Matthew35
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Suggestions for cylinder paint prep-first pics #1
So, I have dug around my 74 DT360 enough to see where I want to go with the project.

Any suggestions on how to prep the cylinder and cylinder head for paint? Was thinking of soda blasting but have never done it. Worried crushed glass media will chew the aluminum up too much.

Also, found a place that will custom mix paint and put it in a rattle can at $20 USD per can.
I found a stock chip almost identical (GM Fairway Green Metallic, OEM code 87 WA309D)

Been hand polishing my side cases, finishing with NevrDull. Pretty happy with results.

Found an online supplier that seem sketchy but turned out great, fast and honest. Cruzinimage. Got a complete gasket set,including copper head gasket and OEM style fork dust boots from them.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Sep 2020 18:03
LETSJET
Open Class
Open Class
More
Suggestions for cylinder paint prep-first pics #2
See my post on vapor sodium blasting, by far the easiest and nice finish.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post darinm

21 Sep 2020 06:09
MrBernzo
Open Class
Open Class
More
Suggestions for cylinder paint prep-first pics #3
I had mine hydro blasted. Came up great and was cheap too

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk

24 Oct 2020 02:45 24 Oct 2020 02:46 by pabdt.
pabdt
Open Class
Open Class
More
Suggestions for cylinder paint prep-first pics #4

Matthew35 wrote: So, I have dug around my 74 DT360 enough to see where I want to go with the project.

Any suggestions on how to prep the cylinder and cylinder head for paint? Was thinking of soda blasting but have never done it. Worried crushed glass media will chew the aluminum up too much.

Also, found a place that will custom mix paint and put it in a rattle can at $20 USD per can.
I found a stock chip almost identical (GM Fairway Green Metallic, OEM code 87 WA309D)

Been hand polishing my side cases, finishing with NevrDull. Pretty happy with results.

Found an online supplier that seem sketchy but turned out great, fast and honest. Cruzinimage. Got a complete gasket set,including copper head gasket and OEM style fork dust boots from them.

Soda is a good catch all media. Its safe and works well. Dry glass beads works well, will not chew up the metal, but at home are dangerous. You will end up inhaling the beads unless you have lots of safety equip and a well vacuumed, ventilated cabinet. Last, dry glass beads will remain in your head and cylinder unless you wash really well. Wet glass beads known as vapor blasting, will clean the metal well. Good for carbs, alum parts you are not going to paint as it leaves a very clean finish.

Use the soda. Its safe and cheap.

74 DT 360 ... resto in progress.

26 Oct 2020 05:28
Matthew35
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Suggestions for cylinder paint prep-first pics #5
Thanks for the suggestions. Due to cost over runs, I did end up doing it at home with Sandblasting (glass). I do use a out door setup and where a full upper body shroud and hood with N95. The media is captured on tarps, swept up and screened. I know this is not ideal, but the local shops don't do soda and so I would have had big travel and/or shipping costs. I very carefully taped everything off and very carefully cleaned afterwards. It turned out quite attractive, pics are in the resto thread.

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart