facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

1975 DT175 Restoration

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic 1975 DT175 Restoration

On your rusty fuel tank. You have a good tank there on the outside. Not restoration perfect, but a rather good example. Fuel tanks take a long time and a lot of work. But I think in the end yours is worth it. If I'm remembering right, isn't the 75 tank a one-off year? Making it even more worth doing. It would be worth it to go after the interior in a big way and do it right. This thread was just updated to show how to remove the liner.
yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/gene...iner-removal-process

Again, tanks are time heavy investments; vinegar is cheap and works well, but you have to let it work. I just soaked a couple of tanks for 18 hours, and man, did it do the job well! But you have to replace the vinegar every time you drain and fill one, according to my son, a college astrophysics graduate with more chemistry courses under his belt than I ever took. "Dad; it's $3 a gallon; go get some new sh!t, and let it work."
03 May 2021 08:00 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Renegade578
  • Renegade578's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Renegade578 on topic 1975 DT175 Restoration

In this picture you can see the kink in the lower part of the bar. At first I also thought if it was bent, then the welds on the crossbar would be compromised, but after close examination they look fine. Like you said, I've got nothing to lose trying to bend it back. But with the visible kink, I'm not very hopeful that it will turn out well.
03 May 2021 08:21 #22

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Renegade578
  • Renegade578's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Renegade578 on topic 1975 DT175 Restoration

Thanks for the info on removing the tank liner. I'll definitely give that a try!
03 May 2021 08:25 #23

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic 1975 DT175 Restoration

The trouble with bending the bars is always holding the bars firmly while you are swinging on the part you want to bend. With the truck tire on it...it wasn't going anywhere. In theory, you could set it up where you have a little of the crossbar and lower main sticking out on the right side, as the left looks like it would lie flat and be right even if the tire was more on the upswing part of the left side.
I'd leave that moving pad between the bars and the floor. The tire isn't going to remove/scratch any chrome away, but the floor might.
Let us know how it goes.
03 May 2021 11:28 #24

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart