facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Mike's 1969 AT1 Refurb

06 Jul 2020 07:16
mtalley11
Content Contributor
Content Contributor
More
Topic Author
Mike's 1969 AT1 Refurb #1
It begins...

I purchased this 1969 AT1E locally (for about twice its original cost). B) I was 12 when she rolled off the line. This will be my attempt to document a light restore of this little beast. It's going to be a rider, not a hider. Has spark and compression, so that's a good sign.

I'm amazed at the original paint. Even has the coveted badges. Tank has only very light surface rust inside.

I have a box of parts ready to go.

Tires, brakes, gaskets, seals, battery, rubber parts, etc. I'm going to take my time with this build and do my best to update the board with my progress. Not going to even attempt to start it until I've gone through everything thoroughly and replace what's needed. Will stay as close to OEM as practical. Might decide to add blinkers if I can find the right parts. I guess the first thing I'll do is strip the carb. What else demands my immediate attention?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, 1971DT250, Swoop56, KJB, LongStride, Pete-RT1, GJVGC, Pops

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jul 2020 07:26
GJVGC
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Mike's 1969 AT1 Refurb #2
Awesome bike! Wish I could find one in that condition!
The following user(s) Liked this Post mtalley11

06 Jul 2020 08:27
mtalley11
Content Contributor
Content Contributor
More
Topic Author
Mike's 1969 AT1 Refurb #3
Thanks GJVGC. I think I got lucky on this one.

OK, so taking off the carb, I see PO had installed it with the flat washers between the carb body and the intake joint. Major unforced error. Maybe that's why he said it wouldn't start? :ROFLOL

Here's my first question for the experts. Should I worry that the brass inlet tube was loose and came off with the gas line? Seems to be a press fit. Can I just push it back in and maybe give it a few light taps?

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) Liked this Post Pops

06 Jul 2020 08:58
apex
Content Contributor
Content Contributor
More
Mike's 1969 AT1 Refurb #4
Yes, a couple of taps and it will seat.

Bike looks really nice for 2x's it's original selling price!

Allrighty Then

06 Jul 2020 13:21
Midlife Motor
Open Class
Open Class
More
Mike's 1969 AT1 Refurb #5
You're off to a good start by posting pics. You will get more responses that way. Also, if you attempt to figure things out yourself and let us know what you've tried, that helps too. Looking forward to this thread.

It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
The following user(s) Liked this Post 2fishkev, mtalley11

06 Jul 2020 19:59
mtalley11
Content Contributor
Content Contributor
More
Topic Author
Mike's 1969 AT1 Refurb #6
Stripped the carb today. Looked really good but gave it a good cleaning and blow dry anyway. Got a new gasket and starter plunger from a rebuild kit the PO gave me.

Carb is reinstalled but throttle valve is waiting for a new cable so I made a carb condom out of a nitrile glove finger to keep nasty stuff out for now.

Moved on to look at the generator. With all the talk of brushes wearing out, I thought I'd take a look. Removed stator and yup, gonna need new brushes. Just at the wear point but no sense talking chances. Ordered 4 NOS from eBay for $60. Part number is 101-81111-10 for any in the market. Shipping from Singapore by OldPartsShop on eBay. Hope they don't take a month of Sundays to get here!

Last item is for the experts. This cylindrical gizmo attached to the left of my regulator looks funky. Is this normal aging or does it spell potential problems? The one on the right hand side looks nice and flat on top. This one looks like a mouse was chewing on it or something.

This message has attachments images.

07 Jul 2020 06:58
apex
Content Contributor
Content Contributor
More
Mike's 1969 AT1 Refurb #7

mtalley11 wrote: Shipping from Singapore by OldPartsShop on eBay. Hope they don't take a month of Sundays to get here!

Last item is for the experts. This cylindrical gizmo attached to the left of my regulator looks funky. Is this normal aging or does it spell potential problems? The one on the right hand side looks nice and flat on top. This one looks like a mouse was chewing on it or something.

I recently purchased a set from the same ebay seller. It took a month of Sundays.

That condenser looks OK, it's what's under the cover that bears taking a peek at, inspect the contact points on both coils. There are adjustments that can be made, but those are rare to have to make, and the bike must be running anyway to test. The Technical library has manuals to walk you through that, if needed. Most of the time these regulators just work fine.

Allrighty Then

07 Jul 2020 08:25
mtalley11
Content Contributor
Content Contributor
More
Topic Author
Mike's 1969 AT1 Refurb #8
Apex, thanks for that. I pulled the regulator cover. Everything looks nice and shiny but I'll clean the contacts with some 400 grit sandpaper for good measure.

Looked at the points this morning. Thought I might be able to clean them up but these are too far gone IMHO. Wear seems a little excessive for 4606 miles on the clock, don't you think? I suppose it's possible they weren't contacting squarely from the start. Ugh!

Anyway, ordered NOS points (132-81121-10) from Yamamoto74 on eBay. Also ordered a new condenser (148-81226-10) just because I'm used to replacing both as a set.

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) Liked this Post LongStride

07 Jul 2020 09:16
apex
Content Contributor
Content Contributor
More
Mike's 1969 AT1 Refurb #9

mtalley11 wrote: Looked at the points this morning. Thought I might be able to clean them up but these are too far gone IMHO. Wear seems a little excessive for 4606 miles on the clock, don't you think? I suppose it's possible they weren't contacting squarely from the start. Ugh!

Anyway, ordered NOS points (132-81121-10) from Yamamoto74 on eBay. Also ordered a new condenser (148-81226-10) just because I'm used to replacing both as a set.

Those points are gacked! Even I would replace those, and I'm a "reuse til death" guy. Yes, condenser replacement is appropriate in this case, probably the cause of the contact's appearance.

Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post Enduronut, Pops

07 Jul 2020 17:31
Dirtboy
Open Class
Open Class
More
Mike's 1969 AT1 Refurb #10
great pics and bike. looking forward to this running!

I am looking to buy good condition 1969 DT1 gas and oil tanks

1968 DT1 x 2
1969 DT1B
1969 DT1-S
1971 DT1E
1974 DT250A
1998 Kawasaki KX60
2018 CRF450R
??

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart