facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

DT3 Turn-Signal Restoration

03 Jun 2020 13:11 03 Jun 2020 14:19 by jmagda.
jmagda
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
DT3 Turn-Signal Restoration #1
i'm presently working on restoring my DT3's front and rear turn signals. I'm at the stage where I need some opinions from those experts in here who have already been where I'm just approaching.

Specifically, the light sockets were horrendous. Corroded, rusted, pitted, speckled with paint from a "let's hide everything so this chump will buy this bike" job of the previous owner. I've gotten them down to bare metal (pitted though, like I said). My question is, do you guys think I should paint these little buckets to protect them, or coat them (not dripping) with a thin wiping of oil to protect them in their new life?

Some befores:

I had to soak the whole reflector/grommet/socket assembly in 3 parts rubbing alcohol/1 part peppermint oil (can't locate wintergreen oil around here) for 24 hours to get the rubber grommets soft enough to pry out of the reflectors. I didn't want to risk ripping open the grommets - they can't be sourced that I know of.

Ready for... something. Paint? Oil?

In case anybody's wondering where's the 4th signal, it's perfect (thanks to a generous donor), therefore not needing restoration.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jun 2020 14:42
Mauser
Collector
Collector
More
DT3 Turn-Signal Restoration #2
I re-coated the reflector part with silver foil.

Yamaha RT2 360 ~ Honda XR650R ~ Yamaha DT175MX ~ Kawasaki KH400

03 Jun 2020 16:16
jmagda
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
DT3 Turn-Signal Restoration #3
Thanks, Mauser, but I'm talking right now about the light sockets and whether or not to paint them or coat them with a thin wiping of oil.

03 Jun 2020 18:23
DEET
More
DT3 Turn-Signal Restoration #4
Have you ever looked at the bottom of a soda can?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
The following user(s) Liked this Post Snglsmkr

03 Jun 2020 18:26
DEET
More
DT3 Turn-Signal Restoration #5
Since you have them apart, you could have them plated.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

04 Jun 2020 04:43
jmagda
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
DT3 Turn-Signal Restoration #6
Ahhh!, You must be referring to your famous DEET soda can reflector resto! Believe me, DEET, I've pored over that post a million times. It's ingenious. But that would still not address the bare-naked steel reflector behind it. When I get to the reflectors, I plan on painting the backs with a rust inhibiting type spray paint. The fronts, what I am planning on is to apply some VviViD gloss chrome auto wrap and seal/shrink it with a heat gun.

04 Jun 2020 04:49
jmagda
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
DT3 Turn-Signal Restoration #7
I don't know the costs of nickel plating, but around here, the cheapest chrome plating starts at $150. I had thought about taking all my little parts from the bike (and the fork tubes) and have them chromed all at once to mitigate the cost. But that's way down the line. Right now what I'm doing is one segment of the bike at a time, rather than tearing it completely apart and having pieces all over the place (which my wife would never go for). I kinda got off on a tangent here, fooling with the signals, but next is re-painting the oil tank and gas tank to at least get her running.

04 Jun 2020 04:57
jmagda
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
DT3 Turn-Signal Restoration #8
My "pros" reasoning on wiping the light sockets with a thin layer of oil is to 1) not add to their thickness with a layer of paint (making it that much harder to squeeze them back into the grommets) and 2) make them slicker and thus easier to squeeze them back into the grommets. Of course, I could be completely over-thinking this, and one little ol' layer of paint might not make a difference. I don't know - that's why I'm asking for advice.

04 Jun 2020 06:31
DEET
More
DT3 Turn-Signal Restoration #9
You could send them off to someone who is zinc plating.

12 Jun 2020 11:10
jmagda
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
DT3 Turn-Signal Restoration #10
Only place local doesn't do zinc, just nickel and chrome. Starts at $150. I would imagine places in another city or state would have similar prices, then there's shipping. That's too much for me. It's just a couple of little parts. I've already started the process of rust "neutralizing". Then, I'll paint them silver.

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart