facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

1977 DT250

03 Feb 2020 09:37
Wax
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
1977 DT250 #11
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the owner misidentified his bike. The bike pictured is a 1978 DT125E. The rear fender will not fit on your bike. Hopefully you can contact the seller before he ships it, to get a refund.

Also, your bike has parts from both the 1977 DT250D and 1978 DT250E. Please check the vin charts to verify. The vin sticker often says the year prior because they were made a year in advance to be ready for sale the following year.
[/quote]

Thank you very much! I got it taken care of.

I checked the VIN on my bike before I picked it up. It was made 04/1976 and is a 1M1-000XXX VIN. I checked the decoder to determine it was a 77 DT250D.

I didn't think to check the VIN on the the seller's bike - that was a bad assumption on my part. Thanks again! Saved me a lot of headache.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Feb 2020 09:40 03 Feb 2020 11:19 by Devin.
Devin
Supporting Moderator
Supporting Moderator
More
1977 DT250 #12

Wax wrote:
Thank you very much! I got it taken care of.

I checked the VIN on my bike before I picked it up. It was made 04/1976 and is a 1M1-000XXX VIN. I checked the decoder to determine it was a 77 DT250D.

I didn't think to check the VIN on the the seller's bike - that was a bad assumption on my part. Thanks again! Saved me a lot of headache.

Good to hear! The 1977 DT250D is rarer then the 1978 DT250E. For what you paid, I think you got a good deal.

The following user(s) Liked this Post Makotosun

08 Feb 2020 19:32 08 Feb 2020 19:36 by Wax.
Wax
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
1977 DT250 #13
Got back in town today and was happy to have a couple of parts waiting on me.

I got front and rear fender for $47 + s/h. Keeping my eyes peeled for side skirts. I looked at the after market side panels, but I’m going to try to hold out for some originals even if they’re a little beat up.

The rear is actually in “Silver Mist” underneath an ill advised black spray job that was likely done while still on a bike.

Found these NOS hand grips in my dad’s gear bag while I was digging out a helmet. I’ll get some some black ones in the future, but these work for now.

The yellow fender (from the post above) was in mint shape (considering age) and came with every bolt, washer and grommet. Makes me sad the source bike ended up as a parts unit; probably would have made a good project.

I planned on doing work on the bike, but my son wanted to make the most of the mud from last night’s rain so we rode for a couple of hours.

Parts shop called while we were riding and new chain, sprockets and reeds are in so I’ll get back to work on it this week.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post FrankC, KJB, KennyV

08 Feb 2020 20:46 08 Feb 2020 21:06 by Enduronut.
Enduronut
Founder Moderator
Founder Moderator
More
1977 DT250 #14

Don't know if it matters to you or not, but like Devin mentioned in post #10, it seems to have a mixture of 77 and 78 parts.
The most obvious difference is the color . . . The rarer 77 model came in a beautiful "Balboa Blue" color ... as shown below.
Just thought you'd like to know . . .
but the most important thing is, that you and your son are enjoying the bike !! Yay2

Control your thoughts . . . or your thoughts will control you!.
You can't accomplish . . . what you haven't dreamed!
Don't aim . . . and you'll hit your target every time!
A wise man knows . . . he isn't!
Failure squared . . . equals success!

The following user(s) Liked this Post Devin, MarkT

11 Feb 2020 20:11
Wax
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
1977 DT250 #15
I appreciate both of you pointing out the color mixup. I saw the “Balboa Blue” notation on the VIN decoder sheet, but I’d also seen blue bikes listed as 78s and silver ones listed as 77s.

As demonstrated by my naivety in the last post I’m learning to pay careful attention when buying parts as so many are listed incorrectly.

It would have been nice if the bike had the original tank. I prefer the Balboa Blue to the Crystal Silver (I think I got Silver Mist from a rattle can maybe?) and the tri-color decal on the ‘77 tank is a great look.

There’s a decent blue tank on eBay, but it’s north of $200 and I can’t justify spending that kind of cash.

I hate to build a Franken-bike, but since the tank I have is in good shape I don’t want to paint over the factory color.

This bike has probably had somewhere between 5-25 owners over it’s 40+ years and there’s a kind of charm in a mutt bike that’s still kicking despite a few scrapes.

As I’m writing this it occurs to me that I haven’t checked the VIN on the engine to see if it matches. The bike may end up being less 77 than I think....

Last week I spent all my free time riding didn’t get any work done on it. This week the weather is a mess so it’s a good time to work in the shop. Here’s my parts bounty for the week.

The front end is going to get disassembled this week and I’m hoping to get the alignment sorted out without too much trouble.

The following user(s) Liked this Post Enduronut, FrankC

11 Feb 2020 21:26
darinm
Collector
Collector
More
1977 DT250 #16
The nice thing is you got a nice rider at a great price. Regardless of all cosmetics!

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS 185 Sierra
2016 Yamaha WR250R

12 Feb 2020 01:47
Delcowizzid
Open Class
Open Class
More
1977 DT250 #17
Gotta love the old dt250 I just got mine pretty much finished I may part with my airbox lid if you can't find one as you can see I didn't have a filter or mesh and I upgraded to a bigger carb and didn't have a way to join it to the airbox and I forgot to fit the airbox back in before the swingarm so went a little old school on a solution haha. I have a build thread on here for it

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, FrankC, Wax

14 Feb 2020 20:48
Bwestern
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
1977 DT250 #18
Great project and bike. I have the 78 250e and love it.

I recently scanned all the paper type gaskets and traced and saved them as an svg. I use gasket material from the auto store and use my wifes cricut (looks like a printer but cuts stuff) to cut the pattern out. If you don't have something that will cut it out you can always print it out and use an exacto knife to cut the template out. Hopefully its of use to you

happy riding

This message has an attachment file.

The following user(s) Liked this Post FrankC, Wax

16 Feb 2020 18:43
Wax
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
1977 DT250 #19
Thanks for all the feedback! I’m really enjoying the bike so far. I was going to order a seal kit, but I will try my hand at making some.

While I’d rather be riding I still managed to have a pretty good time working on the bike. I pulled the forks and handle bars off for cleaning.

Forks were pretty nasty and a little scuffed up. Here’s the fluid that came out.

Replacing the first fork seal took me about an hour. Twenty minutes of which was me being befuddled by how to get the hex bolt loose from the bottom.

Exasperated I searched the forum on my phone and found a post by the brilliant MarkT that said to use a Gator Grip.

My older brother gave me a Gator Grip for Christmas 10-15 years ago and while I laughed at the time it’s come in handy several times. Observe my use of every 3/8 extension in my shop to reach into the tube.

The horn is the only electric device not working on the front of the bike and while it’s not vital it’s much easier to get at it while the forks are off so that’s my next project.

The following user(s) Liked this Post FrankC

17 Feb 2020 00:14
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
1977 DT250 #20
A few posts on the forum about how to get a recalcitrant horn working, including taking it apart.
The following user(s) Liked this Post FrankC

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart