facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

A New Zealand RT3 restoration

06 Nov 2019 00:52
Lindsay G
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
A New Zealand RT3 restoration #31
I buggered up on this purchase. The top decompressor was in the motor but its just the housing so I bought the bottom two ( they were sold as a pair) but obviously they aren't going to fit.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Nov 2019 04:06 06 Nov 2019 04:08 by 1971DT250.
1971DT250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
A New Zealand RT3 restoration #32
The other 2 on the bottom of the photo are the type that go into the spare spark plug hole. They were an aftermarket accessory from back in the day. These act as an engine brake. There would be a cable that attaches to a lever that mounts on the handlebar. I didn't like the mess they made across the top of the cylinder head and bottom of the gas tank. They are not an aid for starting.

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, Pedalcrazy, Flip, Lindsay G

09 Nov 2019 18:30
Lindsay G
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
A New Zealand RT3 restoration #33

1971DT250 wrote: The other 2 on the bottom of the photo are the type that go into the spare spark plug hole. They were an aftermarket accessory from back in the day. These act as an engine brake. There would be a cable that attaches to a lever that mounts on the handlebar. I didn't like the mess they made across the top of the cylinder head and bottom of the gas tank. They are not an aid for starting.

Cheers for that, at least I know what to look for now.

10 Nov 2019 17:44
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
A New Zealand RT3 restoration #34
The flywheel you bought of trademe nz will measure 102.5mm inside & will fit the original stator & will have 6 magnets.
The one i have which i thought was off an old Ag175 measures 97mm like your stator you're measuring @ 96.something. If you want to try my flywheel on that stator i can send it down for a try. But if your original stator works now you have a flywheel coming then problem solved. mind you, be good to know if that white coil rewound stator is a goody. Mine has F0T0 1971 stamped on the face. I just copied this from an old post from last year The 75-76 250 also used the FOTO 1971 flywheel. Anyway, i'm woffling on. Hope the weather is ok down there.

11 Nov 2019 00:20
Lindsay G
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
A New Zealand RT3 restoration #35

RT325 wrote: The flywheel you bought of trademe nz will measure 102.5mm inside & will fit the original stator & will have 6 magnets.
The one i have which i thought was off an old Ag175 measures 97mm like your stator you're measuring @ 96.something. If you want to try my flywheel on that stator i can send it down for a try. But if your original stator works now you have a flywheel coming then problem solved. mind you, be good to know if that white coil rewound stator is a goody. Mine has F0T0 1971 stamped on the face. I just copied this from an old post from last year The 75-76 250 also used the FOTO 1971 flywheel. Anyway, i'm woffling on. Hope the weather is ok down there.

Feel free to woffle on, its all bloody helpful. Pissed down most of the day which meant I got to spend most of the day in the workshop (after getting all the information Youpost wanted for customs . Thats doing my bloody head in.)
Any way so if I've got this clear this is the way the flywheels and stators go together.Seeing the alloy flywheel is the only good one I need to use the stator with the three coils.All that appears wrong with it is the wires are brittle and broken off so if I can work out where to solder new wires on I should be set. I have no idea on the condition of the white stator .
Attachments:

11 Nov 2019 00:25
Lindsay G
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
A New Zealand RT3 restoration #36
Pulled the front wheel out to check the brakes, all good, polished some chrome and fitted the new cables and air intake.
Attachments:

11 Nov 2019 00:34
Lindsay G
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
A New Zealand RT3 restoration #37
OK, the oil pump. when I went to turn the drum to insert the cable I used a spanner on the nut which came loose. To tighten it is it simply a matter of holding the drum and tightening it or do things have to be aligned internally first or in other words, is there a trick I don't know about. Also after I fitted the new throttle cable its as hard as hell to open the throttle which I eventually worked out was the oil pump causing it because when you do get it open the oil pump takes a long time to close and until it does the throttle is nice and easy to use.
Attachments:

11 Nov 2019 11:52
Swoop56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
A New Zealand RT3 restoration #38
Spray some CRC 556 or WD 40 all around your oil pump cable pulley .
That should free it up so it returns freely .
Just tighten up the nut on the oil pump plunger . It works independently
from the pulley .
The following user(s) Liked this Post Lindsay G

11 Nov 2019 12:26 11 Nov 2019 12:29 by shyted.
shyted
Collector
Collector
More
A New Zealand RT3 restoration #39
Swoop56, the best thing to do is go onto Flips RT2 restoration and trawl his Vlogs on youtube. There's a vlog on setting the oil pump and you will see first hand how it funtions in as much as what turns and what to look for.
Someone put a really good vlog post about setting the pump up too. You can see how it delivers oil and the pump in operation. .
Pictures paint a thousand words and all that Swoop.
Regards Ted

11 Nov 2019 23:44
Lindsay G
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
A New Zealand RT3 restoration #40

Swoop56 wrote: Spray some CRC 556 or WD 40 all around your oil pump cable pulley .
That should free it up so it returns freely .
Just tighten up the nut on the oil pump plunger . It works independently
from the pulley .

That worked a treat thanks and the nut wasn't actually loose, the plunger had been stuck and when I turned it with a spanner it had come free.

Moderators: MakotosunDEETDevinDmanEnduronutVinnieyamadminJames Hart