facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 72 dt2 refresh

72 dt2 refresh 13 Aug 2019 10:12 #1

• nutt
  • nutt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Have a few hurdles and could use some help here. First is purchasing rims. Is there an option other than NOS that are worthy of our bikes?
Does the chain guard fit other bikes and years or is it exclusive to the DT2/
Is there a good aftermarket headlight and ring?
And I've searched and found that LanceSpeed has found a good match for the mandarin orange paint in BC but it is a dead link and can't pull it up.
More questions to come....

Thanx in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

72 dt2 refresh 13 Aug 2019 10:15 #2

• darinm
  • Collector
  • Collector
Did you check the master paint thread on here? I'm just on my mobile but if you search it out there is at least one or two 73 dt250 paint options in it.

Could also get rims in decent shape and have Buchanan's replace them with new spokes.

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
1995 Suzuki DR350

72 dt2 refresh 13 Aug 2019 10:33 #3

• nutt
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I'll check the paint thread, thanx. I did find HofK PBC31 Sunset to be very close on the chip, but would like first hand references.
I planned on buying Buchanan spokes and lacing them but my rims are pitted in areas and the rear shows pouch dings in a couple spots.

72 dt2 refresh 13 Aug 2019 10:53 #4

• 1971DT250
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Yamaha called the color of the '71 DT1E and JT1 Mandarin Orange. For '72 the DT2 was called Pearl Yellow but it looked more orange.

Marblesmotors.com custom mixes paint. Scroll down the menu on the right for the color name.

marblesmotors.com/product/1-pint-paint-matched-color-liquid-2/

I've used his paint on some of mine. Very pleased with the results.

Good round wheels without rust under the rim strap are hard to find. I've lost a couple when attempting to have them rechromed, the rust was so bad the wheels had perforation pin holes after going through the acid bath.

Nice headlight rims come up on eBay occasionally.

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.

72 dt2 refresh 13 Aug 2019 11:48 #5

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

nutt wrote: Have a few hurdles and could use some help here. First is purchasing rims. Is there an option other than NOS that are worthy of our bikes?
Does the chain guard fit other bikes and years or is it exclusive to the DT2/
Is there a good aftermarket headlight and ring?
And I've searched and found that LanceSpeed has found a good match for the mandarin orange paint in BC but it is a dead link and can't pull it up.
More questions to come....

Thanx in advance!

You don't say if it's the upper or lower chain guard, but both are shared with the DT3, RT2 and RT3.

If you select a part on Partzilla, it will show which other bikes use that part.

Assuming that you have the correct headlight shell/bucket (it will have Yamaha YHA-107 SAEM67 stamped on the underside), please see my posts towards the end of the thread for which I have attached a link below. Second hand headlight rims should be available on ebay etc.

You can use the search facility in the tool bar above to look for aftermarket headlights or, again, use ebay.

Good luck.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/rest...restoration?start=10

Last Edit: by Gr8uncleal. Reason: spelling

72 dt2 refresh 13 Aug 2019 12:58 #6

• nutt
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Great stuff! My hl bucket does say just that, just purchased off ebay for a ct1, guessing they were the same.
Didn't know there was 2 chain guards, don't have either. I will search again. I saw a couple ebay listings that were grossly different in price, so felt a need to learn some more before purchasing.

Much appreciated

72 dt2 refresh 13 Aug 2019 13:11 #7

• nutt
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I'll give MM a shout, DT.....thanx. Since it's DBC, that gives me some confidence and the price is good. That VRM was $120 for a pint of midcoat.....sprayable, and couldn't get it confirmed just what type of paint.
I do have a email sent to DEET regarding the wheels, fork tubes and many other items, but haven't heard back.
Also have a local guy I've been trying to track down that supposedly has a ton of yammy enduro stuff.
I'm sure I could do a little work to my rims and have them rechromed but there's got to be some available for cheaper.

72 dt2 refresh 14 Aug 2019 00:00 #8

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

nutt wrote: Great stuff! My hl bucket does say just that, just purchased off ebay for a ct1, guessing they were the same.
Didn't know there was 2 chain guards, don't have either. I will search again. I saw a couple ebay listings that were grossly different in price, so felt a need to learn some more before purchasing.

Much appreciated

The lower chain guard was an optional extra - what Yamaha sometimes refer to in their parts manuals as "Alternate Parts". I've got a new old stock (nos) one on ebay at the moment, but that won't be any good to you as I'm on the other side of the Atlantic!

72 dt2 refresh 15 Aug 2019 15:22 #9

• nutt
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I struggled through the fork seal removal but got there. It took my biggest slide hammer puller! Found a better way to remove the dust seal cap after I pooched the first tube slightly while prying it off. I quickly grabbed a razor blade and slid it in the lower groove so I could pry a bit on that, worked nicely!
After polishing the lower tubes a bit, I looked through the archives here and noticed some were using bomb-can paint to refresh their hard to reach alum. pieces. Must say, they look great and think I'm going to give it a test try.
Next, after reading some negative reviews on some tank sealer/liner products, I decided to fill it with evaporust. The results speak for themselves, very pleased. After evaporust, I flushed it a dozen times with laundry soap and water to get the grime that evaporust can leave behind. Next, I rinsed that with thinner. After paint, I'll put a little 2 stroke oil in it and let it film over the insides.
Also, epoxied all the painted parts today. Tomorrow I'll apply filler and hopefully be in final prime at the end of the weekend.
And......ordered the mandarin orange today, not exact but very close. It's House of Kolors Shimrin Sunset PBC31. Thanx to my buddy at the paint store, it was discontinued but he found the supposed VERY last quart in existence about 500 miles away, should be here in a week!! Whoohoooo.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr

Last Edit: by nutt.

72 dt2 refresh 15 Aug 2019 15:34 #10

• nutt
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I need to add, the Shimrin line is tri-coat paint but is supposed to be as easy as shooting base coat. My first try at a tri-coat so hoping for the best.
Attachments:

Moderators: MakotosunDEETDevinDmanEnduronutVinnieyamadminJames Hart