facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: DT360/400 CDI Box replacement in Development!

DT360/400 CDI Box replacement in Development! 07 Aug 2017 20:33 #1

• Makotosun
  • Makotosun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
I was recently contacted to see if I know anyone with a good, working DT400 ignition on a bike to do some R&D testing of a new CDI box being developed for the Mitsubishi CDI used on 74 DT360, 75-76 DT400 and MX400 as well as a couple of other bikes.

I am happy to announce that I received a test unit this past weekend, and was able to plug it into (truly plug and play!) my Suntank bike which runs that ignition. By every test I could run, including a timing advance comparison, the unit appears to be a functional clone of the original. If anything, my bike idled just a bit smoother with the aftermarket box.

I don't have an exact timeline for these to go into production, or a cost, so will wait for more info from the developer. I think it is safe to say these will likely be $200 or less when available.

This is a really exciting development in the ongoing saga of keeping these old girls running. If only we could find someone to create/repop the pulsar coils - maybe make them a bit more reliable :whistle: we would have something!

More news when I have it.

Since we all like to see pictures and videos, here is a short clip of my bike running with the test unit installed.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, MarkT, Swoop56

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No Good Story ever started with a Salad . . .

DT360/400 CDI Box replacement in Development! 07 Aug 2017 20:36 #2

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Great stuff!! :OnFire
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

DT360/400 CDI Box replacement in Development! 07 Aug 2017 20:47 #3

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
I will be running this test box as much as I can find time to ride this next week to assure a level of dependability and will post more info as I have it. I am familiar with this manufacturer and can vouch for their credibility.

There are a few small finish details I am suggesting to them to make it more exact to factory, but these even include the proper 3 prong male/female combo plugs as used on the originals. Nice touch. I am guessing the instruction manual will be limited to remove and unplug the old, replace and plug in the new, and then go riding!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: cpdave

DT360/400 CDI Box replacement in Development! 08 Aug 2017 15:27 #4

• firebane
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Your post had me thinking the other day about CDI boxes. What makes a CDI box differ through the various models? Like why couldn't you use a DT400 CDI box on a DT175?

DT360/400 CDI Box replacement in Development! 08 Aug 2017 16:18 #5

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
Good question. Thye are designed for different trigger/pulsar coils, but otherwise, maybe someone can chime in on a more technical basis!

DT360/400 CDI Box replacement in Development! 08 Aug 2017 17:40 #6

• Andicat
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I wish they had this setup for the old points style bikes. I would dump my points in a heart beat

DT360/400 CDI Box replacement in Development! 08 Aug 2017 18:10 #7

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
There actually may be such an animal in prototyping. He fellow I am working with had something similar.

For a complete replacement of points with CDI, Powerdynamo has you covered.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Steve71

DT360/400 CDI Box replacement in Development! 08 Aug 2017 18:13 #8

• Andicat
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Does it have lighting coil also. This is for a rt2

DT360/400 CDI Box replacement in Development! 08 Aug 2017 18:21 #9

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

Makotosun wrote: Good question. Thye are designed for different trigger/pulsar coils, but otherwise, maybe someone can chime in on a more technical basis!

Even in some of the early CDI's there are some rudimentary advance/retard curves built into the box... That's one difference that could make a box built for a larger engine not be the best for a smaller engine.

Beyond that, when I was working with Powerdynamo on the Yamaha 175 ignition kits, I learned, just as Mako said, the stator coils and even the magnetic field strength of the flywheel changes the design of the CDI box.

For example, the Powerdynamo Yamaha Enduro 125/175 kits use identical stator coils. Same pick up coil, same source coils, same lighting coils. Identical. You can choose a very light flywheel which is smaller and has less magnetic force than the larger, heavier flywheel options. One result is you end up with less wattage available to run the lights with the light flywheel.

What I learned is that the CDI box is also different for the different size flywheels Specifically the size rating of the capacitor (the "c" in CDI). The way it was explained to me is that the lower magnetic force of the small flywheel doesn't charge up the larger capacitor used with the heavier flywheels as well as it should so the spark suffers a bit. Conversely, if you would use the CDI box designed for the small flywheel with the large flywheel, the smaller capacitor ends up getting overcharged and could overheat and fail.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Andicat, FrankC, Swoop56

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

DT360/400 CDI Box replacement in Development! 03 Sep 2017 08:15 #10

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
UPDATE:

So the initial box worked really well - easier to start, smooth running, but the developer was concerned about high revs and how it would do. After some additional tests, I have now received prototype #2 which will be given some tests today. We seem to be vectoring in on a solution.

More soon.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart