facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
16 Jan 2019
Tonight we were hit with a spammer which was caught by Enduronut. The user has been banned, hopefully we will be able to nip this in the bud. Please if you notice spam being posted, shoot an email to me at makotosun1@gmail.com so I can act quickly. Sorry for the inconvenience. apparently our defenses are not perfect. MAKO
  • Page:

TOPIC: DT400E engine

DT400E engine 30 Aug 2018 17:20 #1

• mbakula
  • mbakula's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice
  • Novice
I am getting ready to pull what hair I have left out. I am searching for a replacement engine for my 78 DT400 I am looking for either a used (running) or rebuilt . My old one is seized and the mechanic says it may need to be replaced. He thinks it may be rusty. Just because it was sitting for nearly 30 years and he hasn't pulled apart yet, but is quoting a VERY High bill to do the work only if he can find parts. I did see a 77 DT400 engine on eBay but they want $750 for it
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Almost bald, Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DT400E engine 30 Aug 2018 20:42 #2

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
1. Do it yourself
2. Pay the high bill
3. Contact a forum member like DEET, Meis, Enduronut, RacerClam, etc. and see if they would be willing to rebuild yours for you
4. Buy the Ebay engine and plan on going through it anyway... still might be a bargain if yours is really bad.

There is no way to tell what you need until you tear yours down... it could be not too bad or it could be almost not worth fixing... I've had a bike with a "seized engine" that turned out to be the flywheel was stuck to the stator. Easy fix. Or rings that are "stuck" lightly to the cylinder and once cleaned up was fine. Another easy fix. Or the crankcase full of water, all bearings rusted solid and needing replacement, and top end needing bore and piston. Not so easy fix but still doable and affordable if you do much of the work yourself. (Crank rebuilds and boring cylinders is best left to the professionals.)

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

DT400E engine 31 Aug 2018 17:08 #3

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
Take yours apart and take lots of photos and post here. Once you get inside and see what you have, and we can evaluate what your best course of action is.
These are not really complex motors. We have factory manuals and lots of expertise for the hard stuff. All of the parts are available so it will be a fun journey!

No Good Story ever started with a Salad . . .

DT400E engine 31 Aug 2018 19:05 #4

• FrankC
  • Solution Contributor
  • Solution Contributor
take the cylinder off and inspect the crank if it turns and take the clutch cover off to see if it's all rusty inside maybe a great bottom end and may just need a bore or hone so that's the route I would take as the others suggested. DEET does quality work on engines, rebuilding oil pumps and enduronut here at the forum also has done too many bores to count easily.

• Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart