facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1967 YL2C Regulator Replacement

1967 YL2C Regulator Replacement 05 Mar 2019 19:00 #1

• Ccoffin2
  • Ccoffin2's Avatar Topic Author
Hello,

I’m currently working on a 1967 Yamaha YL2C and trying to figure out my options when it comes to modernizing the regulator. The generator on these bikes produce DC power and I’m curious as to what options are out there. I have attached pictures of the basic electrical diagram and of the regulator itself. Any info would be much appreciated!

Best,
Chris

PS The charging system on this is identical to the 69 L5T (if that proves useful)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1967 YL2C Regulator Replacement 06 Mar 2019 02:07 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
They were a great system back in the day, electric start & all. Is your regulator beyond use. I'd guess it's much the same regulator as any 12volt DC yamaha system from back then from an early AT1 or electric start DT125 up to about "74. Even bikes like RD200 or early CS2E CS3E CS5E etc. Reading again sorry i see Modernizing, so that's me out. Something off a car maybe--or maybe not--they're alternator with brushes, but now i'm lost.

1967 YL2C Regulator Replacement 06 Mar 2019 18:21 #3

• Ccoffin2
Thanks for the insight. If it’s salvagable then I may stick with it in the setup. My thought was that “modernizing” the regulator would introduce a higher level of reliability down the road.

With the cover off the internal components don’t seem to be in bad shape at all (see pictures). That said I am far from an expert on this type of regulator. Are there any components that I should be leery of and are at risk of deterioration?

Many thanks.
Attachments:

1967 YL2C Regulator Replacement 07 Mar 2019 05:02 #4

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
I haven't looked inside one of those since about 1970 lol. Points getting fizzed up are about the only part to worry about. I should sit up & take note because my Fergy 135 tractor has stopped charging so going to have to trawl my memory--that'll hurt. In your case an auto electrician might be able to suggest a modern solid state regulator. i don't think any of that is related to the starter side as has a separate solenoid activated by the start button. So the regulator is just 'that', a cut out--in/out.--Cut in at 12.something volts i suppose & out at that point coming down in the revs, & regulator is the other one which by memory doesn't move much if at all but more tension on the adjustment screw will crank the volts up at revs. Cut out moves noticeably cutting in & out. I wouldn't set it up to charge more than necessary as it drags the pony power out off a little 100cc. Reminiscing again i had one of those as a rough old ex farm bike trade in at work so bought it for dad & was a great bike albeit a bit too tall for a short arse, but then the next year the L5TA arrived which was the same pretty mush with smaller wheels. Well, the frame was more like a YG5T 8occ. Anyway, enough woffle, forgotten the question.

1967 YL2C Regulator Replacement 07 Mar 2019 18:53 #5

• Ccoffin2
All good info, thanks for the help!

• Page:
Moderators: EnduronutMakotosunDEET