facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hot Pipes Roasting on an Open Fire

Hot Pipes Roasting on an Open Fire 16 Mar 2019 11:24 #11

• Schu
  • Schu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
So I finally took my two roasted JT pipes to sandblast at my brother in-laws shop. He owns a broach making shop (cutting tools) and they have a nice sandblasting cabinet used for putting a satin finish on the broach teeth to aid in the grinding and sharpening process. So he lets me use the blaster and I help with buying the glass media, rubber gloves, etc.
So the bottom line here is that the muffler portion on one pipe now looks like a strainer near the exit end, and the other pipe has a hole right at the first bend out of the head joint. I showed them to my brother in-law and he said "I have a guy who welds my broaches when we F one up while sharpening, and he could fix all this no problem".
Well as fate has it, in walks "Carl The Welder" delivering a repaired broach. So we show 86 year old Carl the two pipes and he said "let me take them back to the shop and see what I can do".
So either I am going to end up with two repaired pipes from one of the finest skilled welders in town, or I just said goodbye to both of my JT pipes.....
Stay tuned!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Schu

"If it's possible to do it two ways, do it the other way first to save time"
Last Edit: by Schu.

Hot Pipes Roasting on an Open Fire 16 Mar 2019 12:46 #12

• RT360Fan
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
I'm gonna go with; you're going to get two nice usable pipes back.

Hot Pipes Roasting on an Open Fire 16 Mar 2019 13:15 #13

• Schu
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
I sure hope so. It happened so spontaneously quick that I didn't get any "before" pictures. I helped 86 year old Carl load them into the trunk of his 2018 Buick Cascada Convertible. He was wearing a vintage weathered brown leather bomber jacket and an aged old navy ball cap with the name and insignia of the ship he most certainly served on. I was thinking "this guy was a man's man if I ever did see one, as he shook my hand with firm crooked fingers". To say that man left an impression on me is an understatement.

Schu

Hot Pipes Roasting on an Open Fire 16 Mar 2019 22:38 #14

• Mothersbaugh
  • Collector
  • Collector
Schu, forget pictures of the pipes; get some shots of the old man when you see him again!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.

Hot Pipes Roasting on an Open Fire 19 Mar 2019 16:39 #15

• Schu
  • Open Class
  • Open Class

RT360Fan wrote: I'm gonna go with; you're going to get two nice usable pipes back.

I did in fact get two nice usable pipes back. The repair on the header pipe had enough weld that I was confident to at least file the main hump off the weld. It will be so low to the ground once installed on the little mini that you should hardly notice it.......... Right?

The repair on the muffler pin holes of the other pipe are such tiny little zits of weld that I am afraid to try and smooth them out at all. They may not be so noticeable once painted and assembled on the bike with the heat shield and the seat in place........ Right?

Haven't got the bill yet. He sends his welding charges to my brother in-law every couple weeks. Hope I'm still happy with the pipes when I see the bill.
Attachments:

Schu

• Page:
Moderators: Mini Enduro ManDEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart