facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Big body, small bike, woe is me.

11 Aug 2017 19:53 11 Aug 2017 19:55 by max.julien.
max.julien
More
Topic Author
Big body, small bike, woe is me. #1
Hello everyone.

Now I know what you're thinking, you bought a little DT100 and now you're on a mini enduro lovers category complaining about the size of your bike. It seems odd but hear me out. In march I didn't have a motorcycle, I didn't grow up riding, therefore I had very little knowledge of ergonomics. So when putting miles on my DT100j it took time for the size to get to me. It really hit me the first time when my neighbor gave my father his Suzuki ts 185, Ive had a chance to sit on it, and at my height (6ft+), it fit like a glove.

I've had a falling out with my little bike because of this and while I know it was built a small bike and will stay a small bike I was hoping someone here may have some suggestions to add just a bit more comfort. I'm looking for mostly standing comfort as that's what I spend the most time doing, so I guess bar risers and the like? Suspension and foot control changes maybe? I'm just not sure whats feasible or advisable.

All ideas are welcome thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Aug 2017 06:58
david.hunter
Novice
Novice
More
Big body, small bike, woe is me. #2
Have the same situation here, altering a DT360 for a tall person. The suspension has been raised, seat height raised, foot pegs and controls will be lowered, as far as handlebars wider bars seemed to have more benefit than raising them. Longer cables needed, it's a lot of work

12 Aug 2017 07:36
MarkT
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
More
Big body, small bike, woe is me. #3
My advice is to enjoy what you have for what it is or trade up to a bigger bike like a 175... IMHO the 175's have the best combination of size and power to weight of any of the Enduros. Really fun to ride.

It will be much cheaper and easier to "trade up" to a 175 than try to modify your 100 into something it's not.

Plus anything you do will be a compromise and will never be as good as starting with a bigger frame.

I enjoy the little bikes... I even built a "Super" DT50 with modern long travel (YZ85) suspension. I'm not tall, but I'm sure I look a little like I'm a "clown on a miniature bicycle" riding it. :haha Still is a BLAST to ride though!

Enjoy what you have for what it is or look for a 175. :Buds

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

12 Aug 2017 15:10
Swoop56
Open Class
Open Class
More
Big body, small bike, woe is me. #4
I'm in agreement with Mark on this , but seeing you're a taller physique , I'd suggest looking at a 250
as an option to a 175 . Mark's right about the 175's being a great balance between weight and power ,
but they are still quite small . Go and try one of each , and see which one fits better physically .
At least you won't look like a Dog molesting a basketball .

12 Aug 2017 18:43 12 Aug 2017 18:48 by max.julien.
max.julien
More
Topic Author
Big body, small bike, woe is me. #5
Buying another bike seems like the most expensive option. I figured a few comfort mods here and there for the time being would be better. Also the power isn't so much the issue its really my prematurely problematic back and the fact I end up bent over a lot.

12 Aug 2017 18:47
max.julien
More
Topic Author
Big body, small bike, woe is me. #6
David how did you go about raising the suspension?

13 Aug 2017 07:46
david.hunter
Novice
Novice
More
Big body, small bike, woe is me. #7
Fitted longer front forks and found some longer rear shocks on eBay, then kickstand doesn't reach down enough to park bike upright so have to deal with that.
Sorry to read about your bad back, and it seems you really like the bike and have a budget to consider. The handlebars are the easiest to deal with they have some adjustment now and there are many different styles available. Foot peg location IMO would be the most important thing with a bad back they need to be low and back so your legs can take the bumps and not your spine. Almost like the rearset setup with control linkages street bikers put on to relocate the controls.
Hands-butt-feet location for a large person on a small motorcycle is in a triangle shape your going to want to get more upright if you've got back problems.

13 Aug 2017 15:38
max.julien
More
Topic Author
Big body, small bike, woe is me. #8
Thanks for the advice I think I'll start with the suspension and the handlebars and see where to go from there. The rear shocks are completely trashed anyway, dampening is totally gone and I think on of the springs is actually stretched out or something like that. The foot controls don't seem to bad to me but ill look into what could be done.

The bike is a blast despite its flaws and I'll try to appreciate that a bit more like the others suggested.

Moderators: Mini Enduro ManDEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart