facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: DT 175 oil and frozen clutch

DT 175 oil and frozen clutch 27 Mar 2019 16:08 #1

• JohnOrr
  • JohnOrr's Avatar Topic Author
Hey, so I have a DT 175 1978 that needs the oil changed and clutch unfrozen.

For the oil I went to my local shop and they guy said that he used to run Semi-Synthetic SAE 10W-40 in it.
I tried looking around for an answer and haven't seen a definite one.
Is this ok to use in the bike or will it damage something?

Next about the frozen clutch, I believe that the plates are stuck together because I can shift into gear, but I will not roll even with the clutch all the way in. I was going to try and open up the case and manually nonstick the plates. One person suggested putting the bike in gear, holding the clutch all the way down and kicking with force until they become free. To me this sounds like not a good idea, but I am far from an expert. On my other post it was suggested to get the bike idling, roll down a hill and try to put it into gear that way.
Do any of these sound like a good solution or is there some other trick?

Let me know your thoughts and thanks as always
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DT 175 oil and frozen clutch 27 Mar 2019 16:39 #2

• darinm
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
That oil should work fine, and yes get the bike started, roll down an inclined road and pop it into second then ride with the clutch pulled in. I've only worked with a stuck clutch once but it worked like a charm. Dirt roads work best for this, as it's the bumps that'll help break it free.

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
1995 Suzuki DR350

DT 175 oil and frozen clutch 27 Mar 2019 17:14 #3

• RT360Fan
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Yep, not uncommon for clutch plates to stick after sitting for a while. Pull in the clutch, put it in gear, and push the bike forward until the rear wheel "unlocks". Rocking it back and forth can work too. I've never tried kicking it over to unfree clutch plates so can't offer any advice on that.

Your oil is fine, these bikes aren't too picky in that regard. As long as it's wet clutch compatible.

Last Edit: by RT360Fan.

DT 175 oil and frozen clutch 27 Mar 2019 21:11 #4

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Sometimes just tying the clutch lever down tight to the handlebar a day or two and then rocking the bike back and forth in gear a little will break it free. I've been lucky that this worked for me the last three times.

The absolute best way is to take it apart and clean up the plates.

That oil is wet clutch rated so will work okay.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
Last Edit: by MarkT.

DT 175 oil and frozen clutch 28 Mar 2019 01:23 #5

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
All sorts of tricks but what i do is start it, paddle away till fast enough to get into gear then hook it up a couple & go over rough ground--that's with the clutch lever pulled back to the bars. Be a bit aware as it might suddenly free going over a jump or rough ground & catch you out with no drive like missing a gear over a jump--which aint fun. If that don't work then pull cover off & clutch plates out then free plates by screwdriver etc--'carefully'.

Someone said kick it with clutch pulled in but that won't work unfortunately because kick start doesn't drive through the clutch, but good thinking. We used to do that on every start up on our old British stuff, couple of kicks with clutch in then kick it, but different principle driving through the clutch. Anyway--!!.

Last Edit: by RT325.
  • Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart