facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Left Crank Seal Replacement (DT175)

Left Crank Seal Replacement (DT175) 08 Mar 2019 06:09 #1

• Kosmo
  • Kosmo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Hey all, made a video about replacing the left crank seal on my DT175. I think I ran into nearly every problem that I could have while doing it! Turned out my seal wasn't even bad (I replaced it anyway) but instead there were two screws that were completely loose and all the oil was leaking out of those! And then I wonder why my engine has rattling noises lol... The woodruff key ended up being sheared as well, the stator screws were stripped beyond any sort of functional use. Not proud of how I installed the new seal but it is what it is, I've always learned the hard way aha.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, MarkT, Blackhat250, Badger52, Snglsmkr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Left Crank Seal Replacement (DT175) 08 Mar 2019 07:44 #2

• Midlife Motor
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
This video is hilarious. It also provides a great opportunity for everyone to chip in on ways to do it better. Well done!

It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Left Crank Seal Replacement (DT175) 08 Mar 2019 08:13 #3

• Kosmo
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
haha thanks :) And yes, agreed, I did it quite crudely in several aspects and I welcome all criticism in regards to the process!

What's YOUR ideal method to tap in/seat a new seal?

Left Crank Seal Replacement (DT175) 08 Mar 2019 09:20 #4

• Midlife Motor
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman

Kosmo wrote: haha thanks :) And yes, agreed, I did it quite crudely in several aspects and I welcome all criticism in regards to the process!

What's YOUR ideal method to tap in/seat a new seal?

PVC pipe, but I'm a learning hack too. The guys on this site are great.
I put loctite on the bottom of the woodruff keys before putting them in the crank. Seems to help keep it in place when installing flywheel. Glad to see you using a torque wrench on that flywheel nut, much better than "felt right".
Like I said, your video was funny, and it is brilliant in its crudeness. My only suggestion is to allow your funny words you typed to remain on the screen longer so us old guys can read them all without having to go back a few times.

It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Left Crank Seal Replacement (DT175) 08 Mar 2019 10:27 #5

• Kosmo
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman

Midlife Motor wrote: My only suggestion is to allow your funny words you typed to remain on the screen longer so us old guys can read them all without having to go back a few times.

Will do! My girlfriend said she had the same issue so it's not just you "old guys" :) Thank you again for the feedback Yay2

Loctite on the woodruff key is a good idea! I'll remember that for next time.

Left Crank Seal Replacement (DT175) 08 Mar 2019 12:15 #6

• RT360Fan
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
I made a homemade driver from about $5 worth of PVC parts at Home Depot. Also, for removal I used a punch and sheet metal screw to remove the crank seal

Left Crank Seal Replacement (DT175) 09 Mar 2019 10:36 #7

• Bobv07662
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
When you run into "stripped" phillips screws on the timing plate again (or anywhere for that matter) mix some valve grinding compound in water and apply to the screwdriver tip. You'll be amazed at the amount of grip it adds to the process!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart