facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

New Accounts require admin approval

Due to a recent unauthorized access to the site, New accounts will need admin activation. We are sorry for this inconvenience. Register for an account, and an admin will review and approve your account in short order. our user security is our prime concern so this extra hurdle is necessary for a short while. Thanks for your patience. Mako

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Case clearcoat or not?

Case clearcoat or not? 10 Sep 2014 13:16 #1

• mdlifcrisis
  • mdlifcrisis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I cant seem to get a glossy clear finish on my engine covers using Duplicolor engine clear coat. I just had to re-strip last nights work Boo Hoo . I don't know if its the So. Fl. humidity or my poor skills but it just comes out dull and cloudy. Im about ready to just leave the metal polished and bare. Maybe Im putting it on too heavy? Which clear coat do you recommend to try? Ive got the polishing technique worked out.. Just cant seem to protect it and keep it shiney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Case clearcoat or not? 10 Sep 2014 22:43 #2

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
You might consider trying Duplicolor Wheel paint in Clear. Part number HWP103

The wheel paint is designed to work on such surfaces and may be better suited to the nasty environment the motor gets exposed to. I have not tried it for that purpose, but it would seem like an option worth trying?

Attachments:

No Good Story ever started with a Salad . . .

Case clearcoat or not? 11 Sep 2014 03:28 #3

• mdlifcrisis
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Thanks Mako. Ill look it up.

Case clearcoat or not? 11 Sep 2014 06:24 #4

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
One thing you might try if you haven't already is to use white flour... the baking kind... and a clean rag as a final step after polishing. Just pour flour on the cases and rub it around with the rag. The flour will absorb and remove any excess polish and the leftover black aluminum oxide which could be affecting the clear paint.

Using flour as a final step after polishing aluminum is a good idea whether you're clear coating or not...

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

Case clearcoat or not? 11 Sep 2014 10:11 #5

• mdlifcrisis
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
After polishing with Mothers, I wiped it down real well with a microfiber cloth and some wax and grease remover until it was squeaky clean. I don't know. Maybe its a combination of crazy humidity and too heavy coats. It looked like crapola. Its easy enough to strip off so Im gonna give it another try today. This time one light coat and see what happens..

Case clearcoat or not? 11 Sep 2014 19:53 #6

• Scootern29
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Depends on what you want. If you are going to ride the bike, don't waste your time clear coating, it wears off. If you want a show bike use Spraymax 2k. When I was racing CZ's I had the motor polished out till I did my first race and with the mud and stuff it was ruined. A never ending cycle. A total waste of my time to make it look pretty.

Question authority, think for yourself!

Case clearcoat or not? 29 Oct 2014 10:24 #7

• 4eyes
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
  • 75% has been 25% wanabe
Yes the cloudiness is the result of spraying in high humidity. If you are wanting to preserve that just-polished look, the product "Sharkhide" is what you want.
I don't mind polishing once, but HATE the constant maintanence. This stuff works and is simple and long lasting.
SHARKHIDE

Case clearcoat or not? 29 Oct 2014 14:04 #8

• AT3
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Yes I would clear coat or your polish job won't last, Yamaha did clear coat the engine originally, as already said above you need to degrease the engine from what ever polishing compound or wax you used, that could be one thing causing your cloudiness, also applying to heavy will cause cloudiness, use lacquer thinner or some rubbing alcohol first to degrease the engine.

You should be using a high heat engine clear coat since engines warm up, a good automotive grade clear coat will give best results, but for a rattle can I recommend VHT brand engine clear coat it's the closet I know of you can get to automotive quality paint, it's also the only brand rattle can my local auto body supply will sell, spray light coats make sure you follow recoating directions on the can, recoat till you reach desired shine

Attachment not found

(picture shows red can but is available in clear)

I used VHT gloss black on my frame and clear coated it as well, the clear really made it shine, I also used VHT silver/gray wheel paint on my fenders, it wasn't a perfect match but really close, the wheel paint required a clear coat as part of the paint system or it won't shine.

Last Edit: by AT3.

Case clearcoat or not? 29 May 2018 07:44 #9

• sprints
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I found that if I spray too heavy at first the paint makes the aluminum wet and that dulls it to grey and seals it at that color. I have to use very light coats at first sprayed from a distance so the paint was dryer before it hit the metal until it sealed the surface then I could spray heavier without it darkening

Case clearcoat or not? 29 May 2018 08:32 #10

• asco
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
It is extremely difficult to get all of the polishing residue off of the cases. I used to do my aluminum wheels and then I would try something like Windex to remove the dark residue.

With that being said I think it's a mistake to try and clearcoat engine side cases.

When I was 15 years old I worked at a brass bed factory and what we used after polishing the brass, was a baked enamel finish. The brass balls were probably cleaned with toluline or lacquer thinner. Then they were dipped and put in an oven at 400° for 30 minutes approximately. It did have a yellow hue but you couldn't see it because it was brass. Again my suggestion polish and then repolish when necessary.

YAMA-LAND RESTORATIONS
818-521-2109
MINIBIKESERVICE@AOL.COM CUSTOM MINIBIKE (RALPH) 2002 110cc XR PAX RACING 1971 125cc AT1-C (DOROTHEA) 1971 175cc CT1-C (BRANDY) 1970 250cc DT1-C (MONICA) 1973 100cc Hodaka Combat Rat (ABBY NORMAL) 1969 125cc AT1-M MX (DELILAH)
Last Edit: by asco.
  • Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart