facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

1974 Yamaha DT175 Headlight not working

09 Nov 2019 16:10 10 Nov 2019 12:53 by JohnPaul.
JohnPaul
More
Topic Author
1974 Yamaha DT175 Headlight not working #1
After having some issues with my battery, I went out for a ride with the new battery and all the lights worked well.

...except the headlight.

The headlight no longer comes on at all, even with the engine running. The high beam and neutral lights on my dash don't seem to work either. Tore open the headlight casing and everything looked OK except for a ground connector that looked like the rubber was a bit torn. Bulb doesn't seem to be blown either.

Sorry for any mistakes, this is my first post here.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Nov 2019 23:21
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
1974 Yamaha DT175 Headlight not working #2
Welcome! From the UK JohnPaul.

Would you have another go at uploading your photos - they didn't work first time.

Thanks.

10 Nov 2019 00:56 10 Nov 2019 00:58 by RT325.
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
1974 Yamaha DT175 Headlight not working #3
does sound like all those are blown. depending where you are in the world the lights are all magneto powered AC except for the stop light & neutral light if fitted. Some countries have the tail light battery powered though. but if the battery is stuffed or disconnected the magneto ac will blow all the bulbs, even the dc powered bulbs. Better fit a single wire bulb saving ac regulator just for stopping the same thing happening again. Also check the wires to the rectifier under the tank as they corrode off & break off sometimes. It's a little black thing with probably a red & a white wire going to it, The red ends up at the battery for charging purposes. Make sure you're battery is a good one & earthed well & that the fuse is ok from the red into the main loom. Welcome from NZ down under. Any further down under & we'd fall off!!.

10 Nov 2019 12:54
JohnPaul
More
Topic Author
1974 Yamaha DT175 Headlight not working #4
I just tried to re upload, please let me know if it doesn't work

10 Nov 2019 13:11
Makotosun
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
More
1974 Yamaha DT175 Headlight not working #5

JohnPaul wrote: I just tried to re upload, please let me know if it doesn't work

Having some issues with picture uploads for the site today. I am working on sorting it out.

Mako

IF it isn't one thing, it's another.

10 Nov 2019 14:23
JohnPaul
More
Topic Author
1974 Yamaha DT175 Headlight not working #6
Cool thank you sorry for the inconvenience

10 Nov 2019 14:57
JohnPaul
More
Topic Author
1974 Yamaha DT175 Headlight not working #7
NEW INFO: my turn signals no longer blink. They just stay on when activated.

10 Nov 2019 15:48 10 Nov 2019 15:49 by RT325.
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
1974 Yamaha DT175 Headlight not working #8
That usualy means one of three thing, well two things. Bulbs don't have enough draw to activate the relay fully, or battery is too low to complete the job although motor running with a few revs should help a low battery to do the job.So if ya running say 8watt bulbs then go to 10watt all around. The flasher light on the dash/tacho wherever helps too, so if it's a 1.5 watt then go to a 3 watt although shouldn't be necessary. The 3rd thing of course is it could simply be a faulty relay. I'm talking models we had in NZ but you guys might run high wattage flashers in the US like 17 watt but i doubt it--maybe on the electric start 125 12 volters.
Just one more thought--you are running 6 volt bulbs not 12?.

10 Nov 2019 16:04
JohnPaul
More
Topic Author
1974 Yamaha DT175 Headlight not working #9
Yes, bike has a 6v battery (newly replaced recently) and therefore I believe the bulbs are 6v. Is it possible that I'm having issues because the new battery isn't well charged? Took it out for 20min ride today and nothing seemed to change, but then again i couldn't get any lights working on the new battery until i took it for a ride

Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart