facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How To Build A 190 Pound DT1.

How To Build A 190 Pound DT1. 10 Dec 2018 21:29 #11

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
Having ridden Meis’s bike, I can verify the handling is significantly improved !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

You can tell a professional by the lack of wrinkles in his duct tape.

How To Build A 190 Pound DT1. 10 Dec 2018 21:31 #12

• Steve71
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I remember that Cycle Guide article well from back in the day. It was a 2 or 3 part project that extended over 2 or 3 issues. I still have one of the original magazines somewhere. I followed the project closely and drooled over the results!!

I also remember the the frame lowering modification. It was one of two supposedly trick modifications for better handling that were popular at the time. It was primarily intended to lower the center of gravity of the bike to improve handling. The other side benefit was to lower the swingarm pivot so that the swingarm was closer to being parallel with the ground as it was thought that this would improve the suspension action. I'm not convinced on that one.

The other popular mod was a Z shaped extension welded into the swingarm between the lower shock mount and the axle. This extended the wheelbase an inch or 2 and was supposed to reduce the dreaded "YamaHop". I'm not sure either mod was particularly effective but both were talked up in the pages of Dirt Bike Magazine so we all thought they were trick!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Calkins, B.C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart