facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

These things keep multiplying in my storage. New Wombat!

14 Apr 2018 11:28
Makotosun
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
More
Admin is in the House!
Topic Author
These things keep multiplying in my storage. New Wombat! #1
So last year my son purchased a Combat Wombat at Hodaka Days - a bike he has always wanted. It was missing a few key parts, especially a seat and pipe, which we soon located in a parts stash in Tacoma, WA. The pipe is especially challenging, as this particular VIN was in the first month of production so there are some unique parts compared to other Combat Wombats. The parts stash actually included two of the pipes, one correct and one later version. The kicker - it was take the whole stash (Three roller frames w/o titles, 6-7 big plastic bins of parts, a pile of pipes and tanks, and a bunch of other related stuff. A good price was negotiated, and my truck and trailer were filled to the brim with parts.

What happened with his bike is in a different thread on here. The big surprise was the mostly complete 1973 Wombat which looked like someone had removed the tank, seat and motor and rolled it into a corner.,

All wiring intact, lights, fenders, even usable tires. But since the Combat was the order of the day, it got rolled into the storage along with the bins of extra parts. (I should say that the seat from it was pristine and ended up on the Combat, and the tank is probably one in the pile.) Digging through one of the bins revealed what appeared to the untrained eye most of the parts for a 125 Wombat motor. We took the bin to my mechanical wizard who was able to discern we needed about $50 worth of misc internal bits including one gear, plus a new top end bore and he could build a motor out of the rest.

The other kicker was NO TITLES on any of the rollers. What to do? Called my buddy in Law Enforcement who ran all of my untitled Hodaka frames to assure they were not listed anywhere (NCIC) as stolen which they weren't. The Wombat, however, had been titled in Washington (my state) and he got me the contact info of the last registered owner. A search on Google and Facebook yielded the fellow who is now retired in Idaho, and he was more than happy to sign off on a lost title transfer! Woo Hoo!

But it gets better! When he sold the bike it had a holed piston. It also was licensed as a collector bike here. So at the DMV, all I had was a small excise tax, transfer fees and a new plate fee and I will have a collector plate probably next week! Amazing. Because it was already in collector status, I didn't have to pay the usual first year registration before converting to collector! I don't often leave the DMV smiling and still have money in the checking account!

The motor has already been done with all new bearings and seals, new fresh bore, new piston, renewed ignition, and I should have that back in hand in the next week. I'll post up build documentation when I get moving forward on it.

No Good Story ever started with a Salad . . .
The following user(s) Liked this Post relic, Swoop56, Rick Rommel, KJB, Tom S., Pillsbury

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Apr 2018 22:37
Justind511
Open Class
Open Class
More
These things keep multiplying in my storage. New Wombat! #2
Man that looks like a lot of fun. Those bike and parts looks great

15 Apr 2018 03:06 15 Apr 2018 03:09 by RT325.
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
These things keep multiplying in my storage. New Wombat! #3
Great story. Love stories like that!!. Looks like you have the market cornered Mako!!.
The following user(s) Liked this Post Makotosun

15 Apr 2018 07:31
Makotosun
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
More
Admin is in the House!
Topic Author
These things keep multiplying in my storage. New Wombat! #4
When I get them all done, we will have 6 of the damn things!

15 Apr 2018 08:13
MarkT
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
More
These things keep multiplying in my storage. New Wombat! #5
Great story! I remember hearing about the brand new but already legendary Combat Wombat when I was a kid with a mini bike. That and the Super Rat.

I know this is "blasphemy" to say here... but I've always thought Hodaka built the first real "enduros"... several years before the DT1. :Ban?

Looks like a bunch of great parts there. Should make some great bikes!

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

15 Apr 2018 09:12 15 Apr 2018 09:12 by Makotosun.
Makotosun
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
More
Admin is in the House!
Topic Author
These things keep multiplying in my storage. New Wombat! #6
Mark - you are correct. Hodaka built “Enduros” several years before the 68 DT1. All small bore, and quite good. Very simple transmissions and very light weight. The Story of Hodaka and their ultimate demise is quite interesting.

As of now, we have a 68 Ace 100 that is the custom my son built last year(which is getting a titled frame so we can build him a little street bike out of it), my near stock 71 Ace 100B+, his 73 Combat Wombat, this 73 Wombat, a 72 100cc Super Rat project and a 73 100cc Dirt Squirt project. All because I took my Yamaha DT400 to the Bad Rock at Hodaka Days!

Once you go Hodak’, you never go Back!

(Of course the Yamaha are still the first addiction!)

The following user(s) Liked this Post Steve F

15 Apr 2018 13:12
asco
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
More
These things keep multiplying in my storage. New Wombat! #7
YAMA-DAKA LAND

In the 100cc class purr-fect..

Ring-ding-ding-pop!

a

YAMA-LAND RESTORATIONS
CASTAIC MOTORCYCLE SALVAGE
MINIBIKESERVICE@AOL.COM CUSTOM MINIBIKE (RALPH) 2002 110cc XR PAX RACING 1971 125cc AT1-C (DOROTHEA) 1971 175cc CT1-C (ELSA) 1971 175cc CT1-C (BRANDY) 1970 250cc DT1-C (MONICA) 1974 DT 360cc (CROSSEYED MARY)

15 Apr 2018 14:17
B.C.
Novice
Novice
More
These things keep multiplying in my storage. New Wombat! #8
Even Jay Leno likes Hodaka
The following user(s) Liked this Post Makotosun

15 Apr 2018 17:52
Makotosun
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
More
Admin is in the House!
Topic Author
These things keep multiplying in my storage. New Wombat! #9
So we were bored today, so we visited the storage to pull the carcass out for further assessment.

Headlight area is in decent shape and seemingly complete, the blinkers are gone, but wiring, switch and indicator light present and accounted for!

More to come!

Attachments:

15 Apr 2018 17:57
Makotosun
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
More
Admin is in the House!
Topic Author
These things keep multiplying in my storage. New Wombat! #10
Wiring is unmolested and appears intact.

And the taillight will polish up nicely! No cracks.

And in an amazing bit of good fortune, there is a quite pristine Pro Tek chain tensioner included at no extra charge!

All in all, this is an amazing bit of luck in my parts stash purchase. We replaced all internal bearings, seals, etc, and one broken gear on the Kickstarter. And a few missing shims. The fellow who titled it last sold it with a holed piston, I’m thinking possibly due to running an aftermarket chamber he described. Gonna go back to ground zero with the new bore until I get things sorted. I have several usable Wombat pipes in the mix, plus the chamber that he described for the full build!

And yes - eventually the torque engineering street chamber which was in the pile of pipes!

Moderators: Makotosun