facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: He's in-DEET-fatigable

He's in-DEET-fatigable 15 Mar 2019 19:52 #1

• Mothersbaugh
  • Mothersbaugh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Collector
  • Collector
This story will take a bit, but trust me...the ending is worth the trouble.
Someone gave ma a 1974 DT175A, just dumped it off on my back porch for my use as a parts bike. No seat, and somewhat stripped for the dirt, but the more I looked at it, the more I thought, this could be a rider. No title, but I could use it to test the Vermont system of road riding, too. I have cleaned the oil and fuel tanks, rebuilt the carb, and found a front fender and coil cheap. It has good compression. With any of my bikes, the pump gets sent to DEET for a rebuild. It really needed a rebuild.

Anyone see the storm clouds brewing here in the above pic? The rust color may fool you, as it did me.

But I did get to use the ole left hand drill trick on the left hand mounting screw:

And we do get to point out once again that you never know what a PO has been up to, this time with a mounting screw for the oil pump case cover:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

He's in-DEET-fatigable 15 Mar 2019 19:57 #2

• Mothersbaugh
  • Collector
  • Collector
So since it was in awful shape, and I didn't want to send it to the master looking like that, I took an hour and cleaned it all up before sending it off. Even took a proud father picture, where I should have seen the first drops of rain beginning to fall, were I not so proud. See it yet?

DEET did:
Attachments:

Last Edit: by Mothersbaugh.

He's in-DEET-fatigable 15 Mar 2019 20:07 #3

• Mothersbaugh
  • Collector
  • Collector
So I went to eBay and found two selling there. He said one looked better than another, so here's the one we thought looked better that I bought and had sent to DEET:

He's in-DEET-fatigable 15 Mar 2019 20:10 #4

• Mothersbaugh
  • Collector
  • Collector
It arrived and eventually made its way onto the desk of the Master. I got these pictures from DEET.

Attachments:

He's in-DEET-fatigable 15 Mar 2019 20:23 #5

• Mothersbaugh
  • Collector
  • Collector
I wrote the seller and said I wanted to return it, as despite the fact that he said as is no returns, I thought he did not disclose in his pictures, the description of the merchandise, an adequate and accurate description of the merchandise. I said I would pay the original shipping and the shipping to return it to him. Here is our surprising (to me) exchange of emails.
My first:
Yes, I am aware that you stated no warranties implied; no guarantees. But the Yamaha expert to whom I sent this oil pump said nothing is usable; not...one...piece...of what's inside the pump. Not the housing either. None of this was apparent from your photos. From the good photos that the Yamaha technician sent to me just now, it is quite apparent that nothing is usable. I would like to return this item.
His reply:
I am a little confused, if you say you are aware that is is sold as is for parts with no guarantees then what are you messaging for? This is a 40+ year old group of parts in unknown condition. Like stated they were sold as is/as shown. The gears, shafts and other parts shown in my photos are usable at least. With cleaning and maybe some work you may be able to get other parts usable. Please advice if I am misunderstanding your message. Thanks
My second go at the problem:
I would agree that what's viseable may be usable. But the photos you posted were insufficient to show the true condition of the unit. I want to return the item based on that fact, that you posted insufficient photos or insufficiently clear photos, to allow a true assessment of the part by a buyer. I'll pay the postage to me, and I'll pay to return it to you.
His second reply:
I am not trying to argue but I do not agree or understand your statements. I posted pictures of all angles of the part, it is clearly in rough used shape. I feel like this is buying a parts motorcycle sold as is, taking it home and complaining that internal parts were not in good usable condition... that is part of the risk of buying something used and as is. If you would like to return it, you can put in for a return. Please put the reason as you changed your mind and I will accept.
My third go:
I did not change my mind, and I will not lie. You have clearly deceived the buyer by not posting pictures adequately showing that the part was broken and completely unusable. The Yamaha technician took pictures which clearly show that the part is unusable in any way. I run a small business; I do everything in my power to insure that the customer is satisfied. You, clearly, could care less about the customer's satisfaction. I'll keep the part and leave you negative feedback with the real reason for my dissatisfaction. People need to know what sort of seller you really are.
His final volley:
I am not asking you to lie, you bought a part and decided you do not want it. I sold it AS IS for parts with no guarantees. You took it apart and are finding issues that I could not see and are asking me to change my sale that was stated as UNTESTED. I did not know the condition of the part internally nor did I claim all parts were usable. Like I said it is a 40+ year old part off a dirt bike. Also like I stated it would be like buying an as is dirt bike being sold for parts and being mad that the seller didn't take it apart and disclose everything possible about the bike.. Please explain that logic?

I'd be interested in some honest opinions, guys: am I out of line here? Is he out of line? Do you want his eBay name so you never have to deal with him?

As of yet, I have not left feedback for him. But the story's not over yet. The North Carolina Regiment of The Yamaha Cavalry is just sounding the horn, I do believe.

He's in-DEET-fatigable 15 Mar 2019 20:34 #6

• Mothersbaugh
  • Collector
  • Collector
An hour ago I opened my email, and there's one from DEET. It reads as follows, and it was accompanied by three pics:
E Pluribis Unum
Out of many, one.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: is this man not a scholar and a gentleman of the highest order? Is he not in-DEET-fatigable?
Thanks, DEET; you made my day, my week, maybe even my year!
Attachments:

He's in-DEET-fatigable 15 Mar 2019 20:41 #7

• Mothersbaugh
  • Collector
  • Collector
Just one question remains. What do I leave this guy for feedback? No, no; not DEET. He gets positive feedback of the highest order. I mean the guy who had the chance to keep a customer satisfied, and he chose to argue and argue, and argue instead. What do I leave him? Neutral? Positive?
I used his merchandise for parts, and I'm not returning them; do I give him positive feedback? But I just can't get over the way he does business. Help me out, here.
I run a small business, though most of mine involves labor and not resale of merchandise. I would never treat a customer like he is treating me.
What do you all think?

He's in-DEET-fatigable 15 Mar 2019 21:10 #8

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Mothersbaugh,
1st, Ive bought and sold on eBay (1200+ feedbacks) and I read the original listing.
2nd, I don't thing he was deceiving you, the pump wasn't disassembled. It was stated as-is.
3rd, and this is how I do business, I would take it back and give you your money back, especially cause you are paying for shipping. Not a big loss.

I sold my SC500 as-is few years back and it holed a piston the same day he bought it, I bought it back no questions asked. What I found was a under sized petcock, no enough fuel and full throttle. I hadn't tested it since putting on the new petcock. So my fault.

revise , Opps I missed statement this under the title-
“Our parts are listed as used and should be in working order but may take preparation or work to be ”
Key word is should, with that said it sounds like false advertising, gray area.
A lawyer would have a field day

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger
Last Edit: by mdscott.

He's in-DEET-fatigable 15 Mar 2019 21:57 #9

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
while it sucks I also read the description and looked at all the photos and I also don't think the seller intended to deceive at all.

What I have done is reach out to the seller and tell them that the part turned out to be junk with a description of why and that I'm sure they didn't realize this or they wouldn't have tried to sell it. I simply ask for a full refund.

Most of the time they just send a refund and say "keep it". If they push back, and I feel strongly that they really should have known better (pictures don't show everything), I don't argue. I open a case with ebay.

Ebay has always taken care of the issue including sending me a prepaid return label in one case when it was obvious fraud and the seller was a real jerk. I got a full refund from ebay the day I dropped the box off at the post office. No hassle. Ebay "money back guarantee" seems focused on making the buyer happy?

I don't know what I'd do in this case... I'm not sure the seller could have known more about the pump than I could see in the pictures? I'd be on the fence with this one as to whether I'd chalk it up to "lesson learned" or filing a case with ebay?

Like once I bought a Mikuni that looked really good. When I got it and removed the float bowl one of the posts that hold the float pin was broken off. It had what looked like an old attempt at repair. I was sure the seller had no idea of the damage. And the rest of the carb was in really good shape as described. It looked almost new. Hard to blame the seller. I learned not to buy a used carb unless the seller is willing to send me a picture with the float bowl removed or agree to pay for a return and give a full refund if something major is wrong inside the float bowl .

As far as feedback in this case I wouldn't leave any feedback.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

He's in-DEET-fatigable 16 Mar 2019 00:00 #10

• HouseofEnduro
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I think the seller should have taken it back, ESPECIALLY since you offered to pay shipping both ways. Filing a case with eBay would get you a prepaid return label and a full refund, including your original shipping, seller undoubtedly knows that since he has had some previous "negative" experiences during the last year. I think negative feedback is warranted here to warn others of the seller's refusal to be reasonable in backing up his sale.

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart