facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

New Accounts require admin approval

Due to a recent unauthorized access to the site, New accounts will need admin activation. We are sorry for this inconvenience. Register for an account, and an admin will review and approve your account in short order. our user security is our prime concern so this extra hurdle is necessary for a short while. Thanks for your patience. Mako

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1978 dt250 carb tuning

1978 dt250 carb tuning 10 Oct 2018 19:07 #1

• kakon864
  • kakon864's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Been trying to get my bike tuned and was just wondering if this sounds right (I haven't heard many 2 stoke bikes).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1978 dt250 carb tuning 10 Oct 2018 22:00 #2

• RacerClam
  • Collector
  • Collector
Idle dont sound out of line , but its isnt known if its warmed up and cleaned out at this point , How does it perform under load.?

Rich

racerclam

1978 dt250 carb tuning 10 Oct 2018 23:20 #3

• kakon864
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
It performs well under load, I was mainly concerned with this whirling noise(kinda hard to hear) and the popping noises (which I'm pretty sure is normal for a two-stroke bike, as I said I've never really heard one). Also all of the sudden the engine keeps revving into the redline all of the sudden while idling and I have to kill it.

1978 dt250 carb tuning 11 Oct 2018 06:00 #4

• SlowPoke
  • Collector
  • Collector
There are many great mechanical gurus on this site and I am certainly not one of them BUT..... The reving sounds like a crank seal leaking. I know this from direct experience. When they do that they allow air into the crank case creating a lean condition which revs the motor. The parts are cheap and it’s a good afternoon’s work to replace both but not un-doable for a beginner.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Badger52

"Creativity without control is merely chaos"
1977 DT250
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2018 WR250R
Hammond Organ
Fender Bass

1978 dt250 carb tuning 11 Oct 2018 08:43 #5

• run103
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Its either starving for fuel or has an air leak. Is the tank clean and is the petcock been cleaned out and flowing freely. I just did a 400 of the same year and the base gasket at the front under the pipe exit was leaking and causing overrev. These bikes run pretty smoothly when you get everything right
Doug
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Badger52, kakon864

1978 dt250 carb tuning 11 Oct 2018 08:56 #6

• kakon864
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I cleaned the tank prior to starting the first time and fuel flows good. I think i'm gonna buy a full gasket/seal kit. It comes with the base gasket, so mine as well replace it if i have it. Also gonna replace the crank seals, since it's cheap.

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart