facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 76 DT400 batteries

76 DT400 batteries 13 Sep 2018 12:39 #1

• run103
  • run103's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
I have been trying to find a different battery system for My DT400. It keeps vibrating or cooking the acid out of the small OEM type lead acid batteries. The bike has a 6 to 36 volt LED headlight bulb and a tail light and brake light. None of the gauge bulbs work and it has no signal light system. If I install a 5 cell NiCad the tail light and brake light work fine but I have no headlight. With a lead acid battery all works fine. I'm have a problem with what in the ni-cad battery is different in the lead acid that is changing how the headlight works.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

76 DT400 batteries 13 Sep 2018 16:38 #2

• 1971DT250
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
This seller lists this battery fitting your bike. Double check the dimensions.

I use them in my '73 DT and RT Enduros. They hold a charge for long periods and last for years.

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.

76 DT400 batteries 13 Sep 2018 22:58 #3

• run103
  • run103's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
they fit the dt3 but not the dt360 and dt250-400 from 74 to 76 but I am sure that is the type I would like
thx doug

76 DT400 batteries 14 Sep 2018 02:57 #4

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
I have been using NP4-6 batteries in my DT400B/C bikes.

These need to lay on their side and you need to adapt connections, but they work well and seem to last fine. They are a gel sealed battery so no leakage. You can get them online for under $15. I also saw a compatible one the other day at my local Lowe’s Hardware in the lighting department. (These are designed for use in emergency lighting setups).

All lighting should work fine. There is a version of this that comes with pigtails, but I don’t know the exact code for it.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: KennyV

No Good Story ever started with a Salad . . .

76 DT400 batteries 14 Sep 2018 05:15 #5

• KennyV
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

Makotosun wrote: I have been using NP4-6 batteries in my DT400B/C bikes.

These need to lay on their side and you need to adapt connections, but they work well and seem to last fine. They are a gel sealed battery so no leakage. You can get them online for under $15. I also saw a compatible one the other day at my local Lowe’s Hardware in the lighting department. (These are designed for use in emergency lighting setups).

All lighting should work fine. There is a version of this that comes with pigtails, but I don’t know the exact code for it.

I've been using these sealed batteries in my 250A, 400C and XT500. I pretty much ignore them, they work great and last for years. I have the Genesis brand which I think are made by Yuasa. The last one I bought from ebay was around $9. The one Makotosun mentioned with the pig tails, I think is the Universal brand. The pig tails made for a neat and easy installation but they were very unreliable, failed after a short time.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart