facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lack of smoke using Yamalube in an Autolube system

Lack of smoke using Yamalube in an Autolube system 30 Jun 2018 17:08 #1

• JayB
  • JayB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
I could see I needed to add Yamalube to my stock 75 DT100B. I opened a new bottle of Yamalube and filled up the oil tank. I started it up and initially it smoked like "normal". After riding around for 10 minutes or so, I noticed there was no smoke!

Does new Yamalube not smoke? If my pump is working properly, should I not worry about no smoke? I haven't checked the oil pump output recently.

The bike runs fine and wasn't overheating. It was in the mid 90's today and I am in the mid 200's, a heavy load for a 100!

Thanks in advance for your responses. Jay B. in Maryland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lack of smoke using Yamalube in an Autolube system 01 Jul 2018 01:35 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
I wonder if Yamalube is a better quality than what it had in the tank & if near empty then when it got through then & with ideal running it could look pretty clean. In an 'ideal' two stroke world it will barely smoke on good oil with continual out of town running at highway speeds & would stay clean if the pipe was clean inside & not oil soaked to start with. My Yamy 100 & Yamy 90 trail both came up clean as a whistle after a days flogging around a short roadrace circuit. At the start of the day i couldn't see anyone behind me for the smoke, [actually wasn't anyone behind till they lapped me lol], took about 10 laps & 55mph flat out to come clean. Bottom line, if you're worried, is check the cable is still in one piece & working at the pump. Then maybe unhook the small oil line at the cylinder but put a little mixed fuel in the fuel tank first, blank off where the oil line went into the inlet & run the motor with a few revs on, like a say a fast idle or slightly faster, then pull the oil pump cable so you get full stroke & there'll be a definite pulse of oil. Then let the cable back & see what minimum pulse will be--& will be very little at minimum as only stroking about 20 thou compared to 120 on full cable pull [that's a wild guess on full stroke but you get the idea]. Backing up a bit i'd bleed the pump first purely to make sure there's oil getting there. So--on the side of the pump is a small screw with a large head with a sealing washer behind it, remove that & lean the bike over a bit or makes a mess then let it bleed into a tray for a minute. If a regular small flow then it'll be fine so carry on with the rest of it. Sorry about the essay--but there it is!!. Nearly lost it all as went to post & had timed out so must remember to copy so i paste again.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB

Last Edit: by RT325.

Lack of smoke using Yamalube in an Autolube system 01 Jul 2018 12:19 #3

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
Yamalube does put out less smoke than many other lesser brands in my experience. If you are sure your pump is working (apparently it was before the new oil) the only concern might be a plugged oil line or the small filter screen that exists in many of the factory tanks. I had one plug up with oil that had gotten some moisture in it.

There is no great way to inspect it unless you empty the oil and have one of those small borescopes you can look inside with. If the tank is off the bike you can reverse flush it and assure cleanliness.

Verify your pump is working correctly and you are probably good.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB, asco

No Good Story ever started with a Salad . . .

Lack of smoke using Yamalube in an Autolube system 01 Jul 2018 12:37 #4

• JayB
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Thanks for the replies.

I checked the oil pump stroke, and it was correct at idle and full throttle. I didn't see an easy way to catch the oil for the 200 turn test. There is no slack in the oil line connected to the banjo bolt/cylinder.

Went to the Yamaha website just now and they say about Yamalube 2S "A technologically advanced semi-synthetic base stock and additive system provides all-season performance and greatly reduced visible smoke." I guess that I am observing the greatly reduced visible smoke.

Jay
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC

Lack of smoke using Yamalube in an Autolube system 01 Jul 2018 12:48 #5

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
One thing I've noticed recently with my CRM250AR is that even the "smokeless" oils will smoke some when first started cold. As the engine warms up and is run hard, the smoke goes away...

So a quick test would be to start the engine cold and see it's "smoking normal" again? If so, the lack of smoke was probably just due to the engine being run hard and fully warmed up.

I've never found Yamalube to be *completely* smokeless and it can never hurt to check the pump... as mentioned, bleeding the line is easy and should be done if tank might have run out.

I think in 75 Yamaha used the "bent washer" to keep the pulley pin from coming out... but that's something to look for too. If pin falls out, oil output will not increase as throttle is opened.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun, LETSJET, JayB

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

Lack of smoke using Yamalube in an Autolube system 01 Jul 2018 15:47 #6

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
That's a point--if the roll pin falls out be very careful not to push it in too far air it'll lock the shaft from going in & out or might go out under force but not go back in. If it 'has' come out then put it in 'back to front' & should be tight. Later pumps had a stepped threaded screw with a hex head so couldn't put it in too far although must come close to the limit.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB

Lack of smoke using Yamalube in an Autolube system 01 Jul 2018 17:44 #7

• JayB
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
It has the bent washer and the pin is in place.

I have a DT175B with the new yamalube in it. The last time I had them both out I noticed the 175 was not smoking but the 100 was. I guess it doesn't hurt to check the oil pump output every decade or so! The 175 is due for a lot of work, so I will check the pump then.

Thanks for all the replies and insight!

Lack of smoke using Yamalube in an Autolube system 02 Jul 2018 16:06 #8

• Prinzy
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I noticed my dt1 doesn’t smoke very much at all and I only run yamalube. I’ve been wondering the same thing. I run it in my sleds and they smoke like a chimney. Idk I’ve been riding my bike all over that way and it hasn’t seized yet so I guess it’s normal lol

Lack of smoke using Yamalube in an Autolube system 02 Jul 2018 17:30 #9

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
A quick check you can do (other than the tell tale smell of the exhaust, and pulling the bleed screw to visibly see you have flow to the pump from the oil tank), is pull the pump cover off, and with the engine warmed up & running at idle manually pull the oil pump cable to operate the pump at full stroke. If the pump is working, it will start smoking out the pipe.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, 1971DT250, FrankC, JayB, asco, Snglsmkr, Prinzy

Allrighty Then

Lack of smoke using Yamalube in an Autolube system 10 Jul 2018 19:49 #10

• JayB
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
So, I rode behind the DT100B on another bike for 3 laps at Mid Ohio at speeds up to 50 mph. It smoked normally. At low speed in the lower 3 gears there is little to no smoke. But WOT uphill in 5th gear there is plenty of smoke.

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart