facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: cylinder temps

cylinder temps 11 Jun 2018 16:45 #1

• FrankC
  • FrankC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Solution Contributor
  • Solution Contributor
I was wondering what temp a dt400 cylinder gets. Not looking for head temps. I have just got around to using a port filler on the ported cylinder and it is rated for 350 continuous i believe. When i file the stuff smooth i will try to upload a picture from photobucked if possible. I am going to let it cure for 2 or 3 weeks.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cylinder temps 11 Jun 2018 17:10 #2

• Enduronut
  • Founder Moderator
  • Founder Moderator
I can't answer your specific question, but perhaps someone with a 400 and temp gun will chime in.

I can tell you that filler rated at 350 F will be more then adequate for all but the exhaust port
The intake and transfers will run considerably cooler then the rest of the cylinder, because of the constant exposure to the incoming fuel mixture.
A bigger concern might be how fuel resistant the filler is.
For example, I know that Ethanol laced fuel will soften and break down "JB Weld" over time . . . even when cured.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Blackhat250, FrankC

Control your thoughts . . . or your thoughts will control you!.
You can't accomplish . . . what you haven't dreamed!
Don't aim . . . and you'll hit your target every time!
A wise man knows . . . he isn't!
Failure squared . . . equals success!
Last Edit: by Enduronut.

cylinder temps 11 Jun 2018 17:18 #3

• FrankC
  • Solution Contributor
  • Solution Contributor
Good to hear thank you Enduronut. This is what i used- thickened por-15 gas tank liner.

www.por15.com/POR-15-POR-Patch_p_53.html
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut

cylinder temps 04 Aug 2018 13:54 #4

• FrankC
  • Solution Contributor
  • Solution Contributor
Finished with the port filler. Just a few things left and hope to send to enduronut for a bore/hone if he'll take it.

Opened the boost port by removing the bridge and widening 2 mm overall. Raised 3 mm over stock, re-angled to shoot the charge reward of the spark plug or on intake side of it.

You can see how much it took to angle the boost that way which is why i needed to remove the sleeve bridge.

Installed 2 boyesen ports and dropped the intake floor by 3 mm

Here both the auxillary and main ports widened overall by 1.5 mm and raised 1.6mm. Edit. Accept the rear transfer was also reangled from it's upward direction of about 45 % to that of just following the piston crown. The mains stsyed the same as stock- Almost coming in flat, maybe 5 % or so by my guess. That white filler i used por-15 por patch to create a larger radius on the short side of the upward turn to the sleeve on the auxillary transfer.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, Pillsbury

Last Edit: by FrankC.

cylinder temps 04 Aug 2018 14:03 #5

• FrankC
  • Solution Contributor
  • Solution Contributor
Here in the tunnel i tried to feather the compound flush. The port divider has jb weld in it. I had previously tried to reangle the horizontal path of the auxillary port but to no avail, so i went over it with the por-patch to keep the jb from falling apart.

Here is the piston kit that i have for the bike. It is 3rd over so i will be sending it along for the bore. Not sure if it is over kill or not enough to do the job.

Polished piston top- I plan on also adding a third hole in the intake side angled upward toward the crown to help evacuate the hot gases from under the crown. On 500's racing in the dessert this cooling effect and other effects, which i am ignorant about, has an effect of adding 2 horsepower so i have read.

cylinder temps 04 Aug 2018 14:23 #6

• FrankC
  • Solution Contributor
  • Solution Contributor
I have one more thing to address on the cylinder, maybe you guys have a solution. I had earlier found that the screw threads were stripped on my clutch cable perch and silly me tried to run a stainless screw through there to cut new threads. I ended up widening the hole and cracking the surrounding metal. I was thinking to try the new 350 degree melt rods. Seems low enough in temp that it might work-dunno.

cylinder temps 04 Aug 2018 14:45 #7

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Glad to see your progress Frank! On the broken clutch mount, I've seen some impressive aluminum repairs done by EN so I'd try that route or a local welder before boring.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

cylinder temps 04 Aug 2018 15:20 #8

• FrankC
  • Solution Contributor
  • Solution Contributor
Thank you Mark. Very wise to weld it first before boring. I will ask him. I have to oval bore my carb to 35.5 mm or get a 36mm carb and add a convergent cone to the stock pipe after cleaning out all that insulation and perforared steel mesh.

cylinder temps 05 Aug 2018 12:41 #9

• DaveHunter
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman

Here’s a 360 after running for an hour on a 80 degree day, peak temperature anywhere was 390 degrees about 5” out on exhaust.
Attachments:

cylinder temps 05 Aug 2018 14:19 #10

• FrankC
  • Solution Contributor
  • Solution Contributor
Thank you very kindly. 390 should work. I believe in the technical directions on their site the por-15 can withstand 500 for 10 hours. However, when i did my own test on a wrecked cylinder on broil in the wifes oven (when she was gone to her friends house) the por patch started turning a little rubbery after 30 minutes) but still held and became rock hard again after it cooled. Broil may be a little higher.

Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart