facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
13 Jul 2018
I have re-enabled Tapatalk and will try to keep it functional assuming they keep the plug in updated. You can get the mobile app at: www.tapatalk.com/tapatalk_mobile
  • Page:

TOPIC: AT1 CT1 Spoke Thread Pitch

AT1 CT1 Spoke Thread Pitch 09 Jan 2018 15:06 #1

• apex
  • apex's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Good Afternoon fellow Enduro holics.

Looking to see if someone has insight on the thread pitch of the spokes for the AT and CT series? They appear to be 4mm, but I have tried thread pitch 0.7 and 0.75 and neither are correct. When I measure thread pitch using my thread "hairbrush" nothing seems right, 0.6 is too narrow, 0.8 to wide, and the 0.7 and 0.75 are clearly not correct, neither will spin on but for a slight few turns on a perfectly threaded spoke. Could use some insight, thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Allrighty Then

AT1 CT1 Spoke Thread Pitch 09 Jan 2018 22:45 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Had a rolled thread spoke threader at work which never got used in later years but wish i had it at home sometimes. If you have a problem with one spoke only i think i'd just run the nearest die & tap over them & carry on, but perhaps mark it in someway so you know the odd one out for next time.

AT1 CT1 Spoke Thread Pitch 10 Jan 2018 05:45 #3

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

RT325 wrote: Had a rolled thread spoke threader at work which never got used in later years but wish i had it at home sometimes. If you have a problem with one spoke only i think i'd just run the nearest die & tap over them & carry on, but perhaps mark it in someway so you know the odd one out for next time.

Yes, I'm pretty sure spokes have rolled threads because cut threads have sharp edges which will promote breakage... way back in the 70's a friends dad bought a special spoke die set to thread spokes... he was installing a smaller front wheel on a Kawasaki and shortened the stock spokes... after several spokes broke while riding he got a new set of spokes of the correct length... probably from Buchanan's.

I think the thread was odd.... Whitworth (British) or American and not metric as expected. If my math is right 40 TPI is between a 0.6 and 0.7 metric pitch. Maybe if you call Buchanan's they would tell you the size/pitch? If cleaning up a thread, maybe a thread file would work if you can find one of the correct pitch...

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

AT1 CT1 Spoke Thread Pitch 10 Jan 2018 10:09 #4

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Thanks guys, I did a search on the forum first and saw the comments about rolled threads about a year ago or more, but thought I'd toss the question out again. I have a thread "clean up issue," not looking to add threads. Looks like I'll have to spend some quality time with a thread file.

Allrighty Then

AT1 CT1 Spoke Thread Pitch 10 Jan 2018 11:43 #5

• Enduronut
  • Founder Moderator
  • Founder Moderator

Which spoke do you need . . . I can throw a good new or used replacement in with your up-coming bore job . . . just send the bad spoke with you cylinder.

Control your thoughts . . . or your thoughts will control you!.
You can't accomplish . . . what you haven't dreamed!
Don't aim . . . and you'll hit your target every time!
A wise man knows . . . he isn't!
Failure squared . . . equals success!

AT1 CT1 Spoke Thread Pitch 11 Jan 2018 12:37 #6

• Scootern29
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
I bought a dismantled KTM MC5 today for my birthday and this was in one of the parts boxes. I remember our local bike shop had one.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun

Question authority, think for yourself!

AT1 CT1 Spoke Thread Pitch 03 Feb 2018 22:03 #7

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Darn it Scott I missed this. Need to look for this tool!!!

Allrighty Then

AT1 CT1 Spoke Thread Pitch 21 Feb 2018 23:16 #8

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
There are "spoke thread roller" tools on eBay. Didn't get one, but getting one is on my list of "things I need to get." I spent time cleaning up the "dirty" spoke threads for the few that didn't totally clean up during the re-zinc'ing process. Anyway...had the hubs vapor blasted, re-zinc'ed the spokes clear & nipples gold, new wheel bearings, and new seals. The complete wheels themselves were from a different bike, an AT2 I'm building. So the CT2 wheels just came off and were donated as is to the AT2, and the re-done wheels slipped right onto the CT2. Dressed up this 'ol ratty dirt bike a little bit!
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Scootern29, Rick C.

Allrighty Then
Last Edit: by apex.
  • Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart