facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

New Accounts require admin approval

Due to a recent unauthorized access to the site, New accounts will need admin activation. We are sorry for this inconvenience. Register for an account, and an admin will review and approve your account in short order. our user security is our prime concern so this extra hurdle is necessary for a short while. Thanks for your patience. Mako

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Need a Title for your Enduro?

Need a Title for your Enduro? 25 Jul 2014 00:17 #1

• Devin
  • Devin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Cell 805-914-8299
Very useful information, some states its near impossible to get a title, some states its simple. Here is a great way to get a title. Thanks MarkT for sharing! Yay2 :OnFire Yay2

MarkT writes: So a few months ago I bought a late model monoshock DT175 "parts bike". The seller had lost the title many years ago... it was out of the system... and here in Nevada that basically means "parts bike"... for a couple hundred bucks I thought it was still a very good deal.

Then Nevada member Letsjet posted his tales of getting an HT1B without a title and using a "title service" that went through the Vermont DMV. I had heard about Vermont Registration before, but thought it was way too expensive to use a "service" and maybe somewhat of a gamble to do it yourself as I've heard mixed reports of how well it works.

Well, it works for an old bike**. And you don't need a "service" to do it for you!

I mailed off my paperwork and a check for fees and sales tax (I think it was less than $100 total) to the Vermont DMV on a Friday and exactly one week later I received a brand new Vermont license plate and temporary registration. A few days later, the "official" registration was in the mail to me!

No hassles, no inspections, no notarized documents...

Some states don't care if their residents have out of state registration. In those states you can continue to renew the Vermont registration as long as you'd like.

Nevada does care. Nevada residents must have Nevada registration within 30 days of operating the vehicle here. But when I'm ready to put the bike on the road... which I could do now if I wanted to... all I need to do is go to the Nevada DMV and they will use the Vermont registration to issue me a Nevada title and registration.

**Obviously I don't need to say how stupid it would be to try this with a bike that might be stolen or is still on the books in a state but has back fees due. Don't buy bikes with suspicious stories or from shady sellers... Check the VIN with the police or NICB and the state of last registration. Do your homework!

All of the information needed can be found on the Vermont DMV website along with the forms. Also, don't hesitate to pick up the phone and call the Vermont DMV. They are very helpful. And no, they don't care if you live in another state.

The following is from my research and what worked for me. Rules and laws may change so use this only as a guide and do your own research. Also, it would be a good idea to check with your home state DMV to see what they say about operating with Vermont registration and/or transferring the registration to your home state...

If your home state has a process to register "off the books" vehicles with lost titles (like California), I'd use that process rather than going through Vermont.

Tips

For an older bike, at a minimum, you need a bill of sale. (Even for this there is a possible loophole if you have the seller sign the Vermont DMV registration form ) Notarizing not required.

On bikes 15 years or older, under 500cc no VIN inspection is required. Even if your enduro is over 500cc's, you can have the VIN inspection done in your home state.

Vermont doesn't care if you have a low purchase price on the Bill of Sale. They use a NADA guide to determine the value. And I believe the minimum allowable price for determining sales tax is $500. In any case, resist the urge to "fudge" the purchase price... it could come back to haunt you! (see below)

NADA considers a "poor" or "fair" vehicle to have questionable roadworthiness. Resist the urge to derate the condition of the bike... or report that you bought it super cheap... to save a couple of bucks of sales tax! If you do rate the condition low, you may be required to have a certified shop complete a safety inspection before registration is issued...

Call the Vermont DMV with the vehicle information and they will give you the NADA value... again... rate the bike as "good" or better! (If it's not at least in good condition should you really be registering it anyway?)

I highly recommend using the free NICB website and one of the vendors that use NMVTIS information ( www.vehiclehistory.gov ) to see if there are any records found of a VIN for any bike you are considering buying where the buyer says the title is lost. (Tip: some of the NMVTIS vendors will do a "free" search. What you are looking for is "no records found". If records are found, it would be worth it to buy the report.) A trip to the local police department with the VIN is also a good idea especially if you have any concerns... keeping in mind that in some jurisdictions the police are not allowed to check VIN info for a private citizen without the bike present.

NADA Values here: www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1968/Yamaha

Vermont Application here: media.wix.com/ugd/f5d852_19746233e0c847d2b222cf95f8d8dbcd.pdf

Vermont Application instructions here: dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/pdf/DMV-...App_Instructions.pdf
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, rt31973, Wheels, Bigdog302

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Devin.

Need a Title for your Enduro? 03 Feb 2015 17:14 #2

• Devin
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Cell 805-914-8299
Followed the directions and it worked like a charm.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Winterwoods, Wheels, Bigdog302

Need a Title for your Enduro? 03 Feb 2015 17:39 #3

• Bigdog302
  • Collector
  • Collector
wow!! I need titles for a few bikes! :OnFire

2 1968 DT1s,1970 RT1M,1970 DT1C,1971 RT1B,1971 Honda Z50K2,1974 DT100A,1974 Honda MT250,2 1975 DT400Bs,1975 Honda CR250M1,1978 DT175E,1979 Honda CR250R.
Dave
Jesus is Lord!

Need a Title for your Enduro? 03 Feb 2015 18:01 #4

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Technically, you are only receiving Vermont registration... It's not a title.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

Need a Title for your Enduro? 03 Feb 2015 18:30 #5

• Devin
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Cell 805-914-8299
Yes, when you receive the registration you will still have to take it in to your local DMV, so they can transfer it and apply for a state title.
If you just want to ride, you can use the Vermont registration (if your state allows). If you sell the bike you can transfer the Vermont registration. Most of us want the title though.

Like MartT mentioned: verify the laws, as they are always changing

Need a Title for your Enduro? 03 Feb 2015 20:05 #6

• AT6 DRIVER
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
  • 1975 DT400B
What about getting a plate for my IT465H? Has a head light and tail light.

1975 DT 400B

If it moves and shouldn't , use duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use liquid wrench.

Need a Title for your Enduro? 03 Feb 2015 20:12 #7

• Devin
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Cell 805-914-8299
Here is the state by state laws:

www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/kunena-...ding-requiements#579

I know Gfrench rides his IT490 on the road, he would know more then I .

Need a Title for your Enduro? 03 Feb 2015 20:15 #8

• AT6 DRIVER
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
  • 1975 DT400B
Form has a space for vermont DL#?? How do you answer that?

1975 DT 400B

If it moves and shouldn't , use duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use liquid wrench.

Need a Title for your Enduro? 03 Feb 2015 20:20 #9

• Devin
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Cell 805-914-8299
I left that space blank. "they don't care if you are out of state". I scanned a copy of my current drivers license.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AT6 DRIVER

Need a Title for your Enduro? 04 Feb 2015 03:17 #10

• rt31973
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
I have recently registered a "Bill of Sale" 1971 Honda SL350 in Vermont. Here is a direct quote from the Vermont DMV website (as of 2/4/05):
"Vermont titles only vehicles that are 15 years old or newer based on calendar year. From 1/1/2014 – 12/31/2014 Vermont will title all vehicles with model year 2000 or newer."
So if your bike is over 15 years old Vermont will not issue a title. Vermont does not require a VIN verification if you are not applying for a title. The cc's do not matter. They will issue a registration which is sufficient legal ownership to use for a title in your state. Requirements will vary by state. I just leave the Vermont driver's license space blank. It is true that you should not lowball the purchase price. I called the Vermont DMV to check if my Bill of Sale value was okay. They are very helpful and do not care if you are out of state. Once I get the Vermont registration, I go to my local DMV and get a state title. Take the Vermont DMZ sales tax receipt so you do not have to pay sales tax again. My state title cost $10.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin, Winterwoods

1973 RT3 360 x 2
“Happiness is an RT3 ride on a sunny day.”
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart