facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
02 Sep 2019
Your admin has not been on the site much as of late as my main computer apparently seized up :( I have had limited access, but will be back soon. Thanks. Mako
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help Identifying Yamaha AT?

Help Identifying Yamaha AT? 13 Sep 2019 19:40 #1

• Carsnz123
  • Carsnz123's Avatar Topic Author
Hi,
I've just purchased what I thought was a Yamaha AT1 of 1972 vintage. Only slight issue is the numbers don't line up with any info I can find. I pulled the head off and measured the bore and stroke which is 66x50 (171cc) making me think the engine is a CT2 or CT3 engine as its a 7 port engine.

Frame number: AT1-443048
Engine number: 482-004335

Anyone have a book of words which has these numbers in it?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help Identifying Yamaha AT? 13 Sep 2019 20:12 #2

• Rick C.
  • Collector
  • Collector
Welcome to the forum!
If you look up above there is a black line that says,' Tech Library" and it has VIN ID section. But, yours sounds like it has Japanese Domestic numbers or something. a 73 CT3 fuel tank on an AT frame?

Edit : AH....Kiwi-land eh?
Somebody will be around here to help you soon.
Cheers !

Last Edit: by Rick C..

Help Identifying Yamaha AT? 13 Sep 2019 20:19 #3

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Welcome!

Pictures of the actual numbers would help the experts identify.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong... looks like a 73 CT3 gas tank.... at least it would be if you were in the USA... the rest of the info tells me you are probably on the other side of the world?

The best VIN number and model code lists are available in the Tech Library here... unfortunately most literature like VIN number lists is based on the US models.

The engine prefix says its a 1974 AG175 engine... so my best guess is you and/or the bike is from Australia, New Zealand, or maybe South Africa?

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

Help Identifying Yamaha AT? 13 Sep 2019 20:48 #4

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Welcome. with a title like CarsNZ i'd guess ya in NZ as i am [P/Nth]. So two options. My first thought is it's an AT2 or 3 as still used AT1 numbers & someone's swapped the top end for a CT2/3. But MarkT says AG175 numbers so quite possible it's had an Agy motor fitted in which case it'll have neutral at the bottom. Of course someone might've fitted the 125 box & selector drum if he's had the motor right apart so gears could be normal configuration. Agy will have a fair gap between 3rd & 4th ratios--annoying. & Ag porting will make it as flat as a T$%d as has restricted porting compared with genuine CT3 porting. Anyway--you've saved it so great stuff. Had one identical, colour & all, 125 that was, & wish i'd kept it now. Do have an AT1 1970 "rough as guts bike" piston port first model but have a TY125 top end on it these days. Cheers.

Last Edit: by RT325.

Help Identifying Yamaha AT? 14 Sep 2019 17:33 #5

• Carsnz123
Pretty confident that’s its an AG175 engine. Yes neutral is at the bottom. Or at least a AG gearbox. But yes being in NZ we’re pretty good at keeping things running.

Help Identifying Yamaha AT? 15 Sep 2019 02:33 #6

• Carsnz123
Also I suspect is has the forks off a DT125 or of the like as the high rise guard looks like factory fitment. it appears I have a bitsa.

Help Identifying Yamaha AT? 15 Sep 2019 04:44 #7

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
They just look like original AT2 & 3 forks, which look like Ag forks anyway. Still has the "18 original front wheel by the looks & think the Ag had a "19 front. probably just bolted on an Ag high front guard possibly. If the guard 'is' the original Ag then it'll have 6mm holes on the bottom edge of the guard for the mudflap. Pretty much everything is interchangeable between all those models which can be 'good' or 'annoying' depending on where ya caught!!. The original engine number would have been the same as the frame number you show, as they run matching numbers. The Ag pic below is just a random "79 model which was the last of that model before radical changes, but not a lot changed from the first to the last except for cdi ignition late in this model. Sorry, changed one pic & it jumped into my wording.

Attachments:

Last Edit: by RT325.
  • Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart