facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
02 Sep 2019
Your admin has not been on the site much as of late as my main computer apparently seized up :( I have had limited access, but will be back soon. Thanks. Mako
  • Page:

TOPIC: cleaning autolube pump

cleaning autolube pump 10 Sep 2019 00:12 #1

• liferbiker
  • liferbiker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Collector
  • Collector
Just got a 75dt125b saturday & PO has line off tank ?? how long, I'd feel better if I removed pump & cleaned it out. I was thinking of running diesel or a 50/50 oil fuel through it using wheel to get it through. Then straight oil same way & pump it dry. This sound ok?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cleaning autolube pump 10 Sep 2019 01:14 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
I'd guess if he had it capped off from the time he disconnected it then it should be ok to just hook up again & run to verify the pump is pumping & pull the cable at the pump for full stroke. I don't think a mix through it would do any harm--well it wouldn't but not sure its necessary. Mind you i've never had a pump give trouble back in the day, but now they're 40+ years older so the fun begins. Bleed it of course--just let it flow from the screw on the side.

cleaning autolube pump 10 Sep 2019 05:30 #3

• liferbiker
  • Collector
  • Collector
No, it wasn't capped is why I'd like to flush it out. Or, maybe clean tank, install fresh oil, bleed & pull pressure line off barrel until fresh oil pumped through. I also wanted to check for proper amounts of oil discharged but find no amounts givin in manual here. They list idle & full throttle stroke specs but nothing on amounts in cc's as I've seen in other specs.

cleaning autolube pump 10 Sep 2019 05:40 #4

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Flow spec answered in your other post.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: liferbiker

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

cleaning autolube pump 10 Sep 2019 06:54 #5

• Kayto
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I'm not going to say that this is the absolutely best way to clean the pump, but when I cleaned the one for my '74 DT250, I removed it from the case, but did not disassemble it. I then immersed it in WD40 and turned the wheel on the pump. This circulated the fluid through it, and I could see that it was pumping out the outlet port. I finished it by immediately adding some 2-stroke oil into the pump and working it through, again by spinning the priming wheel. Having the pump off made it easer to check the end clearance for the stroke shaft also.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: liferbiker

cleaning autolube pump 10 Sep 2019 08:53 #6

• Mauser
  • Open Class
  • Open Class

Kayto wrote: I'm not going to say that this is the absolutely best way to clean the pump, but when I cleaned the one for my '74 DT250, I removed it from the case, but did not disassemble it. I then immersed it in WD40 and turned the wheel on the pump. This circulated the fluid through it, and I could see that it was pumping out the outlet port. I finished it by immediately adding some 2-stroke oil into the pump and working it through, again by spinning the priming wheel. Having the pump off made it easer to check the end clearance for the stroke shaft also.

Good idea I have 1 to clean out for my friends DT175MX shortly.

RT2 ~ XR650R ~ DT175MX ~ ZX12R ~ XJR1300 ~ DT125LC ~ XR250R ~ XL125R ~ RD350LC ~ MT50 ~ GPZ1100

cleaning autolube pump 10 Sep 2019 08:56 #7

• liferbiker
  • Collector
  • Collector
This was my 1st thought (removing it) didn't think of wd40, that seems like a good fluid to use! thanks!

cleaning autolube pump 10 Sep 2019 13:47 #8

• Swoop56
  • Collector
  • Collector
Having been inside a couple of oil pumps ,
usually there are sludge deposits inside the main pump body .
I'm not sure you'd really clean those with just soaking .
They are pretty fiddly to work on . After I got frustrated with mine ,
I sent it off to DEET who successfully overhauled it , for a very
reasonable cost .
The following user(s) Liked this Post: DEET, MarkT, swm, DVM

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart