facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How I killed my beloved DT175 by dragging it under a trailer

How I killed my beloved DT175 by dragging it under a trailer 15 Aug 2019 13:48 #1

• Kosmo
  • Kosmo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
I've been putting off posting this because it's quite embarrassing and well just upsetting in general. For some context, this bike means a LOT to me. It was my introduction into trail riding and I have zero intentions of ever selling it. I love all DT175s after this one but this one specifically is sentimental at this point.

The two videos below depict everything that happened, hey even some trail riding on it before it got wrecked.

In a nutshell, I had finally bought my first trailer and was going on my first solo trail ride after work. I had never strapped something down before and instead of getting loop straps I got s-hook straps. I was perfecting my strap down job all day as it was sketching me out a bit. I even made a fork stop at work on my lunch so I could crank down the front end without worrying about blowing my seals. All in all the strap job did fine up until about 500 meters from my home....500 meters guys....was driving at about 70kph when I went over a bump, one of the s-hooks popped out and I watched my baby topple over the side. It was hooked up with a cable lock to the trailer as well, the lock got ripped off but I think it stopped the bike from experiencing a heavier impact. Bike got dragged under the trailer for as long as I was braking. I swear like a month and a half since it happened it still almost brings tears to my eyes remembering that moment aha. Thankful I did not wipe anyone else out on the road or hit a pedestrian or any of the messed up things that could have happened from that.

by the pool of liquid I was CERTAIN the gas tank was smashed up and ground up, the engine was holed, or something along those lines that would have just absolutely broken my heart. Turns out I had left the petcock on so it was just overflow. The gas tank was saved by handlebars turning in the right direction during the fall, and the handguards, I am certain of it. The handguards spaced the bike further up from the ground and the fact they were turned left not right meant they took the brunt of the hit and not the gas tank. Phew.

Most of the damage seemed to be in the handlebars. I have no clue of the frame is straight and I have no clue if my forks are bent or not (should have figured that out before I rebuilt them, will have to check). The only part of the bike that got ground down was the rear frame hoop, just slightly. Seat got scuffed up. Unless the frame and front end are effed, I think I came out alright...as alright as it gets in this situation I guess.

Here's the dreaded photo that still makes me want to cry:

A few weeks later tried to be more light hearted about it haha:

and here are the videos if you guys are interested in seeing it for yourself in depth and hearing the explanation

Came down to lack of skill strapping things down, and bad equipment which just leads back to bad decision making on my part. You bet you butt I won't strap a bike down wrong ever again!

Red DT is out of commission awaiting full rebuild, and I am currently building my other DT175 to be my temp trail bike.

Thanks for reading/watching!

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Badger52

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How I killed my beloved DT175 by dragging it under a trailer 15 Aug 2019 14:17 #2

• Super90
  • Novice
  • Novice
I sure hope the damage can be repaired....you have been working hard on your bike and this is terrible news. I had a friend back in the 70's who rode Harleys and he loaded his and another one on a trailer to tow behind his caddy for a trip out west. When they left that first morning it was still dark and his buddy had just laid the trailer tongue onto the hitch ball and hadn't closed the catch or attached the chains. they made it all the way from Daytona to west of Jacksonville when they hit a dip on I10 and off came the trailer at 70 mph....he felt it and looked up in the mirror as it followed the car for just a bit then took a RH turn into the swale along the shoulder where it flipped several times and destroyed the bikes.....sorry about your bike.

How I killed my beloved DT175 by dragging it under a trailer 15 Aug 2019 14:40 #3

• liferbiker
  • Collector
  • Collector
that front bar is too low to stop a bike tire. weld some channel iron at an angle, better yet, a tire chalk. Harbor Freight has a tire chalk w/clamp I still used tie downs. as for tie downs some D rings on deck, weld some hooks or something to keep tie downs in place, & keep 'em short but don't angle them too much, maybe 12" wider than where they locate on bars. For real long trailering so suspension not compressed a foot, fit a 4x4 between tire and fender pull down to that. Your deck is wood so you can drill a couple holes & simply run a rope thru to secure the bottom of rear tire thru wheel.I've towed from Bay Area Ca. to Baja set up like this on bad roads no problem. I'd think it lucky as bike fixable, you wern't doin 70 on freeway w/stereo blasting!

How I killed my beloved DT175 by dragging it under a trailer 15 Aug 2019 15:52 #4

• KJB
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Terrible feeling when these things happen but you will recover and get back to square one again. I speak from experience as I lost my newly restored and much modified 1971 Honda CT70 (Dax) from the back of our Fifth Wheeler - arrived home from the beach and the bike was not with us just broken bike rack fittings ! Went back 150 kms over our tracks in 40 C heat but no sign of the bike. Resigned myself to building another one and then a week later a call from the Police to say the bike had been handed in by the person (a young girl ) who saw it come adrift. Virtually no damage except gravel rash and broken indicators. I have left the gravel rash on the bike as a trophy/reminder.Bike now retained by new improved Bike Rack Mark 2
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Wheel mad, KennyV, Super90

KB ( Australia)
'69 Yamaha DT1 S
'71 Yamaha DT1 .................................. '70 Suzuki T350
'72 Yamaha AT3 . ................................... '73 Suzuki T500
'86 Yamaha DT175 ..................................'68 Fuji Rabbit Hi Super 90
'06 Yamaha PW50

Last Edit: by KJB.

How I killed my beloved DT175 by dragging it under a trailer 15 Aug 2019 16:50 #5

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Kosmo thats a bummer, sorry to here about your demise. Look at the bright side, you got a new project. Also its nice to see a real face to a members name. Maybe we should start a thread, "show us your face".
:Buds

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

How I killed my beloved DT175 by dragging it under a trailer 15 Aug 2019 18:28 #6

• nutt
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
You didn't kill it, you just put it in the icu for a bit. Honestly, I was expecting a lot worse. Thankful it was "just" the bike.
A little back story on my YZ490 that I bought new in '88......rode for years on that bike, 3 sets of plastic, many handlebars, levers and a few tires,....but just one replacement o-ring chain.
In 2005, we went riding with a large group of maybe 12 and a couple folks I didn't even know. One was 16 and had a girlfriend along also. This guy was a challenge, he constantly rode in the left side of logging roads around blind corners. We preached to him and all but sent him back to camp. Later, he was riding in the rear of the pack, so I waited at a "T" and motioned him ahead. I waited a minute or so because I hate to ride as slow as he was. About a mile ahead there was a 90* switchback and I hit it maybe 25mph or so, blind corner, ascending a hill. Here comes this dumpass ripping the opposite direction in the left lane...no chance to even blink...we hit head on and it put me in the trauma center for 3 days. My 490 was mangled, the forks pushed back so far the wheel couldn't steer past the exhaust. I thought it was done but after gaining some will to tear into it, it seemed pretty doable. I just cut the steering head off at the bottom runner, straightened with a jig back to factory specs, and welded it back together, adding a nicely formed gusset. Believe it or not, the forks weren't bent, tough little bastads. That, the fender and new front rim and tire, and I was riding that widowmaker again.
Yours sounds like much less of an impact, but probably more cosmetic damage. I say, get the parts in line, and spend a quality weekend building it back to it's former glory.
Good Luck!!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Von

How I killed my beloved DT175 by dragging it under a trailer 16 Aug 2019 00:26 #7

• rodent
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Sorry for your loss enduro brother :(

Nice Dart at 1:02 in the vid though B)

How I killed my beloved DT175 by dragging it under a trailer 16 Aug 2019 01:28 #8

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Gosh, sorry to read & see that Kosmo.
& 'nut', that's a hell of a story albeit not a nice one, blimey.

How I killed my beloved DT175 by dragging it under a trailer 16 Aug 2019 07:24 #9

• KennyV
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
I hated reading this, that was awful. I've had nightmares about losing a bike off my trailer so I over do tying them down. I've had friends give me a hard time about the way I tie mine and I always respond, I've trailered bikes all over this country, east, west, north and south and have never lost one so I'll continue doing it my way. And, based on my experience, I don't think you have to worry about blowing out fork seals when you strap it down. When I'm traveling long distance and stop for the night I do release the front straps while parked for the night and strap back down in the morning and inspect all strapping. I worked with friends who had (before tariffs) a business of buying and selling used Harleys. They would buy used Harleys here in the US and ship them to Germany for resale. Every six weeks we load and strap down 30 - 35 Harleys in a shipping container. I think it took six to eight weeks for the container to get its destination in Germany to be unloaded. After being strapped down for that long of a period time, never had a fork seal issue.

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar

How I killed my beloved DT175 by dragging it under a trailer 16 Aug 2019 14:23 #10

• Yamawammer
  • Novice
  • Novice
Sorry to hear. Bright side? More Youtube vids for you. Hang in there you'll get her back to new.

I never apologize.........I'm sorry. That's just the way I am.
  • Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart