facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

EXTREMELY stiff front suspension

20 Aug 2019 09:57
liferbiker
Collector
Collector
More
EXTREMELY stiff front suspension #11
I think he's saying if forks are compressed twards each other when tightning axle nut thats bad. When wheel off, rotate upper tubes in triple clamps, you'll see bends. If not extreme, try matching bends, facing fore or aft. if in unison, they might work ok. I have a Honda trail 90 w/one (I was afraid)to over-extend to straighten in press, so I twisted it in triple clamps until axle slid through both & it works fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Aug 2019 10:40
Scootern29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
EXTREMELY stiff front suspension #12
Yep, that's what I am saying. Don't pull the lower fork legs together as it can make them bind. They would be out of parallel if you do.

Question authority, think for yourself!

20 Aug 2019 11:25
Kosmo
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
EXTREMELY stiff front suspension #13
Gotcha! Makes sense. I do have everything loose right now and it did not help...

Is there a possibility I put in too much oil to the point that it's maybe blocking a valve of some sort? I am not well versed in suspension design so I am just guessing.

20 Aug 2019 13:54
blazeone
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
EXTREMELY stiff front suspension #14

Kosmo wrote: Gotcha! Makes sense. I do have everything loose right now and it did not help...

Is there a possibility I put in too much oil to the point that it's maybe blocking a valve of some sort? I am not well versed in suspension design so I am just guessing.

Yes, too much oil will cause stiff action. Increasing oil quantity also know properly as oil height stiffens the suspension action by basically taken up more of the air space in each tube. Drain and then carefully measure. Also, use a suspension spec oil 20 wt.

20 Aug 2019 15:08
Kosmo
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
EXTREMELY stiff front suspension #15
I am using Motul 10W as that is what the service manual calls for. It actually called for 10W OR 20W. Thanks, I am hoping it's just the oil.

21 Aug 2019 03:32
Swoop56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
EXTREMELY stiff front suspension #16
If you have a workshop manual for the bike , they usually give an oil level measurement .
The measurement is taken with springs out and forks fully compressed .
You measure air gap from the top of the fork , down to the oil .
If you have overfilled it , which is what it sounds like , it will be obvious .
If , that is the case , just syringe out the excess oil .
The following user(s) Liked this Post Kosmo

21 Aug 2019 06:53
Kosmo
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
EXTREMELY stiff front suspension #17
That's the plan! To syringe out the excess. The service manual that I have specified only a quantity. Knowing what level to fill it to as well would have been much easier!

21 Aug 2019 07:25 22 Aug 2019 06:00 by blazeone.
blazeone
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
EXTREMELY stiff front suspension #18

Kosmo wrote: That's the plan! To syringe out the excess. The service manual that I have specified only a quantity. Knowing what level to fill it to as well would have been much easier!

Unfortunately, back in those days the oil level "height" measurement was not used like it is today. If you are sure you put in an even amount oil oil in each leg in the first place try removing 10cc .

21 Aug 2019 22:01 21 Aug 2019 22:01 by Kosmo.
Kosmo
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
EXTREMELY stiff front suspension #19
weird, my service manual spec calls for 146cc +/- 2cc

I made this little tool to equal out the oil levels in the forks. I will try removing some and see what's up.

tool at @24:40

22 Aug 2019 05:59
blazeone
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
EXTREMELY stiff front suspension #20
Opp’s I’m following another post for a ‘73. Yours is a later model. Spec I gave was for earlier twin shock models.

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart