facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New guy from NE Iowa

New guy from NE Iowa 24 May 2019 08:24 #1

• CigarEd
  • CigarEd's Avatar Topic Author
Hello everyone! My name is Ed, and I just joined up to get a little information on the 70's Enduro 400 that my dad has had for 30+ years that I'm trying to get back into running shape after being mostly dormant for most of my life lol. He bought it from a guy who'd put 2 different bikes together, but I think it's an earlier model DT400. Anyone know where I'd find the Serial tag on it? I've looked everywhere but under the front pan and can't find it.

I'm fairly mechanically adept, and worked for almost a year at a Yamaha/Polaris/Indian/BRP dealer in the area behind the parts counter, so I'm familiar with the parts and stuff, I just need to find them!!!

I'll post some pictures maybe this weekend.

Thanks! Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New guy from NE Iowa 24 May 2019 08:34 #2

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Welcome!

Frame VIN is stamped into the steering head... There should also be an FMVSS certification label on the steering head that has the VIN number. I believe that's a US law for all motorcycles after about 1970.

Engine number is stamped on top of the center cases on right or left side depending on year.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: CigarEd

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

New guy from NE Iowa 24 May 2019 09:11 #3

• CigarEd
Of course, i never looked at the steering head lol. I was looking on the downtubes, where it is on newer bikes. I'll take a peek over the weekend! Thanks!

New guy from NE Iowa 24 May 2019 21:03 #4

• Mothersbaugh
  • Collector
  • Collector
NE Iowa...anywhere near The Field of Dreams? Wyoming? Viola?

New guy from NE Iowa 29 May 2019 20:01 #5

• CigarEd
No, that's by Dyersville, a couple of hours south of me. I'm north of Waterloo, near Charles City.

Frame VIN is 501-024819, so looks like the frame is a 1975 DT400B in competition yellow.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT

New guy from NE Iowa 29 May 2019 20:49 #6

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!

CigarEd wrote: No, that's by Dyersville, a couple of hours south of me. I'm north of Waterloo, near Charles City.

Frame VIN is 501-024819, so looks like the frame is a 1975 DT400B in competition yellow.

Welcome! To the site! Very popular bike there (I have 4!)

We have a service manual in the tech library as well as numerous vintage articles on that bike. Plus a lot of technical posts on the site.

You can tell a professional by the lack of wrinkles in his duct tape.
  • Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart