facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: AT1 charging system

AT1 charging system 14 May 2019 16:37 #1

• Scottddove
  • Scottddove's Avatar Topic Author
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
I really could use some help on this. I am trying to get this bike to charge. I have done all the testing procedures. I took my armature and stator to a shop that rebuilds starters and generators. He said my armature was no good. I purchased a whole new/different assembly off eBay that the seller said he would warranty if it didn’t work. Got it installed but it doesn’t appear to be any good either. I am just doubting I have 2 bad ones. I have new brushes, cleaned the armature real good, cleaned out all the little grooves, but it will only put out like 1.5 volts at 2000 rpm’s. I have the green wire off and grounded to the black wire the white wire taken loose and am testing for voltage on the terminal where the white wire would go. Am I missing something or do I just have two bad charging systems?
I have a limited time I can get a refund on the eBay purchase so I need some help quickly.
Thanks in advance. Captain Dave I need some of your wisdom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

AT1 charging system 14 May 2019 16:56 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Too far away to be much help but they're a very reliable system unless some obvious damage has been done. Have see all sorts of strange things happen over the years like battery fitted in reverse. But if the brushes are contacting & the correct wires are going to each terminal & following through to the regulator then i'd be suspecting the regulator. In saying that the reg is usually very reliable. So we know there's nothing wrong with it--umm, why doesn't it go. Take the lid off the regulator & see if the cut out closes. Guessing it won't close though. Does the starter work as that might indicate something--not sure what, but all related in a long roundabout way. If charging, the dash/tacho charge light should go out above idle & charge up to around 14.5 volts thinking back to umm, 1970 lol. Sorry i'm no help. Good Earth? from battery to frame & motor bolted tight so as to earth. Electrics are always a bit of a gamble off ebay but the seller sounds confident it was good & probably is. Hope you get some joy or better ideas than i can think of at the moment. There's no doubt a Red into or out of the Reg, & is it live. I'd guess without looking there could be a brown too but live after the ignition is turned on--but that all a guess.

AT1 charging system 14 May 2019 17:06 #3

• Scottddove
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Starter works as it should. There is no charging light. This is a 1975 dt125 with a 1970 stator and armature installed. I have top off regulator all looks clean in there. Nothing is going on when bike is running with the regulator. I am understanding the regulator should be buzzing it’s not. The cut out side is not closing either. It just appears there is no voltage being made. But like you have said and many posts I have read says these are reliable systems. Just at a loss. Maybe I just have bad enough luck to have two bad ones. I need advise.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325

AT1 charging system 14 May 2019 21:29 #4

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Bugger, i hit like instead of post. Guts was--googled AT1 Wiring & found this that no doubt you've seen but anyway--heavy wire i'd guess is starter wire. Not sure if it helps.
yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forum/1968-...namo-terminal-wiring

AT1 charging system 14 May 2019 21:38 #5

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector

AT1 charging system 15 May 2019 03:19 #6

• Scottddove
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
I have seen and read many times those links you sent. I know it is wired correctly. As far as cutting back the mica I’m not sure that is correct. If someone in the know could respond to this that would really help me and maybe the next guy with the same issues. Thanks for trying Rt325.

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart