facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Restore, RestoMod or Retromod a DT175

Restore, RestoMod or Retromod a DT175 04 May 2019 00:16 #1

• JayMo
  • JayMo's Avatar Topic Author
Hi All

As a young bloke, I loved cars... big time! Built my first car at school as my major Industrial Arts project for my HSC (in Australia) an RX5, then various other cars including Commodores and early WRX's).

Anyhow, family and cars getting more digital interrupted all of that... nowdays my B7 Passat (300hp, Euro 4motion wagon) is all about can-bus and modules and meh, I started looking for a project and kind of landed/inherited this...

Its a 1980 DT175. The original owner never registered it, it was taken straight to a farm on the Monaro Plains where it was ridden rarely for maybe five years or ten years, (service notes go through to three an a half thousand KM). Then it was chucked in a shed up until a month ago when I got it.

Dinged up tank and smashed speedo/bracket, but apart from that looks mint and un-used.

Finally, a bit of a project, no computers, nothing electrofancy.... just six volts, two strokes and drum brakes... I am excited.

My first question is if I go down a tracker/scrambler style Resto-mod or Retro-mod (which is the one I like, making it look a bit more classic than it is) is that offensive to the cause? Do most people expect these things restored exactly? (are they significantly more valuable that way?)

On the trailer

dinged up tank

Have to source bracket and new speedo...

Anyhoo, Happy to take some counsel?

First efforts (once I finish working on the house) is to get it legal, then go get my licence (Yup... I rode trail-bikes through Spain 25 years ago , but I need to sit my licence here in OZ)...

Looking forward to it!
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Von

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by JayMo.

Restore, RestoMod or Retromod a DT175 04 May 2019 15:13 #2

• clives
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
What a find! Rad wee project. I hear you loud and clear: it’s so close to original do you sully it? Or do you use such a clean platform to easily make it a 1965esque trials cutie with polished alloy BSA tank?

I reckon get it going and ride. Have fun. Post lists of photos.

Restore, RestoMod or Retromod a DT175 04 May 2019 17:32 #3

• MarkT
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
It really depends on what you want to do? You're starting with a nearly complete original bike so going back original might be the cheapest route?

You seemed concerned about "value"... My experience on that specific model is that resale is much easier and the value is higher if it looks pretty much like it rolled off the showroom floor when you're done. (At least in the US, your country might be different)

Restomod or retromod? If that's what you'd enjoy most then by all means do it! Just know that if you ever want to sell you might have more trouble finding someone that shares your vision and is willing to pay for it than someone who would love one that simply looks original.

A note on "restored"... there's no need in my opinion to go crazy with powdercoat and alloy polishing... it's common to see "over-restored" examples that are WAY nicer than anything Yamaha ever produced. But again, if that's your thing, do it!

If starting with a fairly clean bike there's also nothing wrong with a "soap and water" restoration... a good disassemble and cleaning... lube cables, service bearings, and replace brake shoes... re-paint where needed to prevent rust... replace parts as needed... patina left where possible... costs a lot less and they are only "original" once! And a good clean "original" model that has been gone through completely often brings top dollar in my experience...

If you do decide to go one of the "mod" routes... please offer the original parts for sale at a reasonable price to someone that can use them... parts like the OEM plastic side covers can be hard to find for someone that needs them for their restoration. And while your vision might end up not looking "original", the donation of your unneeded stock parts to someone else's restoration kind of balances the scales if you know what I mean.

The 175 might be the best bike Yamaha ever built... great fun and lots can be done to them. Have fun with whatever path you choose!

:Buds
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Giancarlo124, Dfeustel

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

Restore, RestoMod or Retromod a DT175 04 May 2019 18:31 #4

• Giancarlo124
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Very cool bike. Do whatever makes you happy with it, Just make sure you take your time and do it right. We like pictures so be sure to share whatever you do!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Dfeustel

The Oil burners: 1973 DT-250, 1966 YM-1 305, 1966 YSD3, YZ-105

Restore, RestoMod or Retromod a DT175 05 May 2019 05:07 #5

• JayMo
Thanks All! thanks for your wishes, and also those that PM'ed!

I will look forward to writing up what gets achieved... it will be a slow process as we are teetering on moving interstate, much means fixing the house "just in case".

My problem is that I like the look of the metal fender-ed dual-shock... ( like Clive's) as much as I love the look of Giancarlo's bike I think that would be a step too far....

I have been searching for a Speedo (in Metric) and that makes it hard, I have found a 78 (white needles, numbers on the inside) in Metric, but nothing later... I think it will be easier to replace my 80 tach (yellow needles, numbers on the outside) with a 78 tach because that can be off any bike...

I would like to check if the 78 instruments are backlit like the 80s ones?

Lucky for me I like the look of the 78 instruments more than the 80s, but that means it is already not original.

Stage one is legal (replace blinkers, sort out instruments, get running), I figure if I am likely to drop it, it would be in my first few months).

The left side side cover is different from the right side (correct) cover, and the tank needs a respray anyway.... so my plan is to fix the tank. Then possibly go a metal flake red the covers, the tank and some metal fenders (i would like to go a low fender). The plastic fenders need to be chucked out and replaced anyway.

Colour match the back of the headlight and headlight brackets to the tank, black out the rest including the swing arm. Old school plain Yamaha decals (not sure if off-white or black yet) Tan seat cover and grips, wrap the pipe, and that is it...

Effectively it is all paint, returning it to stock being plastics, putting solid paint over the metal flake, blacking out what should be black, painting the swing arm silver again and then sourcing decals...

Or I will chicken out and just go restore it,,,

It would be cheaper to go out and buy a 5 year old dualsport, but I don't like the look of them, and it certainly would not be a journey...

Thanks for your comments!

Regards

John

Restore, RestoMod or Retromod a DT175 02 Jun 2019 06:48 #6

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
I have a 1980 125G (US model) which was originally for my son. It has reverted to me, and I’ve mostly been leaning towards a restomod look. It has a 175 jug, so it is really a nice tractable coke. These suffer a bit in the rear suspension (lightweight) but ride out really nice with a great, tractable transmission.

My current inspiration is a pic from the net:

I know nothing about the bike details, but something similar is my goal. Yours would a great start on such a look, as it s very complete and oils mostly need tic and some elbow grease!

Welcome! to the site!

Mako

PS - is that Leisure Suit Larry as your Avatar? ?
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT

You can tell a professional by the lack of wrinkles in his duct tape.
Last Edit: by Makotosun.

Restore, RestoMod or Retromod a DT175 03 Jun 2019 12:44 #7

• 2fishkev
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
I can see why you like that. It’s well thought out and looks like it came that way, or should’ve. Not as easy as it sounds.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun

Restore, RestoMod or Retromod a DT175 03 Jun 2019 16:22 #8

• KJB
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Keeping mine "as it came" - DT175 ,1986 , 3500 km., Australian delivered , unused for 30 years, stored in a house.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, KennyV

KB ( Australia)
'69 Yamaha DT1 S
'71 Yamaha DT1 .................................. '70 Suzuki T350
'72 Yamaha AT3 . ................................... '73 Suzuki T500
'86 Yamaha DT175 ..................................'68 Fuji Rabbit Hi Super 90
'06 Yamaha PW50

Restore, RestoMod or Retromod a DT175 03 Jun 2019 16:46 #9

• MarkT
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

2fishkev wrote: I can see why you like that. It’s well thought out and looks like it came that way, or should’ve. Not as easy as it sounds.

The bike in Mako's "wish book" pic is almost certainly a factory-built Yamaha and probably did come that way. Sadly not available in the USA.

P.S. The last USA DT125 (80-81) did have a "light weight" (and lowered) suspension compared to the 80-81 DT175.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

Restore, RestoMod or Retromod a DT175 04 Jun 2019 19:38 #10

• JayMo
When I first jumped on this forum, I had just inherited this bike, without any historical appreciation for it. With the passing of time, having spent weeks trawling through most posts around bikes of this era on this forum... I have seen the respect these bikes deserve and I have pretty much decided to stay true to the bike and keep it relevant to its era...

Having said that I do like this

But I probably keep my bike red with white fenders (albeit possibly a slightly darker red)

Unfortunately, I have other things to repair/fix/maintain first...
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart