facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Yamaha Trailmaster

Yamaha Trailmaster 06 Nov 2018 12:32 #1

• Studegary
  • Studegary's Avatar Topic Author
Hello, I'm Gary in Marysville, WA. I just picked up a Yamaha Trailmaster to have as a vintage trail bike. I have 7+ other motorcycles, this is my first Yamaha. I think it's a '67 but I'm not sure and haven't found a good reference for frame numbers this early, frame number is L2 507210. I think that makes it a model YL2C, but I'm not sure. I need to know first if I have a 6V or 12V bike because it doesn't have a battery in it and I want to get it started soon. Any recommendations on parts sources for the Trailmaster? Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yamaha Trailmaster 06 Nov 2018 14:45 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Hi & welcome. I'm down under in NZ & if your model is what i think then it'll be 12volt electric start 100cc. Check any bulb left in any light should tell you. But if electric it'll have a start button under the throttle. Had one myself as a rough old tradein back in the day & assembled them new. Ignore all this if i'm off the planet lol. The yellow ones were a tall bike with "18 wheel then later we got the LT5A which was a deep red with "17 wheels & frame seemed smaller like the G5T 80cc frame but not quite. Anyway, YL2CA will have high & low ratio via a knob thingy down on the left case that simply pushes a rod in the gearbox. Biggish 12volt battery required, well, modern advanced smaller would do i'm sure. Sorry if i'm wrong on all this, long term memory is pretty good though, but short term is stuffed, forgotten the question lol. Pics of yours would sort the answers if you can post one. Cheers.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr

Yamaha Trailmaster 06 Nov 2018 16:26 #3

• Studegary
I couldn't find anything that looked like a hi/lo shift. It only has the headlight, no taillight. The headlight bulb doesn't have a readable marking. There is a button on the twist throttle housing that could be the starter button

Yamaha Trailmaster 07 Nov 2018 05:26 #4

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Ok, but battery compartment will be quite large if 12 volt. look in the let side motor cover & if its got brushes it'll be 12 volt & will need a battery to run. Any old battery with a bit of life if you only want to kick start it & then hopefully the generator will keep battery going. If its got a flywheel magneto--then ignore the above & will run minus battery. Mind you if there's a starter button & a brush type starter/generator then 12 it is!!.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, FrankC

Yamaha Trailmaster 07 Nov 2018 20:40 #5

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Snip from an old Yamaha doc:

YL2C Trailmaster. 12 volt generator.

Ebay or Yamaha for parts... Partzilla, RMATV, local dealer.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1967/yl2c-67-tr
Attachments:

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

Yamaha Trailmaster 07 Nov 2018 22:07 #6

• rodss67
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Pretty sure the YL2 will be a 4 speed. The hi/low came out in 69 on the L5T and 70 on the L5TA which were 3 speed.

Yamaha Trailmaster 07 Nov 2018 23:41 #7

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector

rodss67 wrote: Pretty sure the YL2 will be a 4 speed. The hi/low came out in 69 on the L5T and 70 on the L5TA which were 3 speed.

Different markets might get different things but down here the L2CA was first & had high low with the turning knob on the left cover. Then the L5TA was next still with the same motor, high low 4 speed etc, neutral at the top & electric start. Was the same bike but in miniature, smaller wheels etc. Both were great models, well, great 50 years ago, & now we want them even more lol.

Yamaha Trailmaster 08 Nov 2018 03:53 #8

• Studegary
It doesn't have the Hi/Lo shift. It is the model that used the 2nd big sprocket on the rear wheel for slow speed trail riding. I only paid $140 for it, mostly complete, missing front fender, taillight, luggage rack, fuel petcock, all of which I've bought off E-bay, also missing the big sprocket.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pillsbury

Yamaha Trailmaster 08 Nov 2018 08:22 #9

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
My neighbor buddy had a Yamaha YL2C Trailmaster. The first bike I rode with a clutch was Yamaha YG-T Trailmaster 80, its little brother, post some photos.
I had a 65 Honda S90, couldn't keep up with those 2 strokes.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger
Last Edit: by mdscott.

Yamaha Trailmaster 08 Nov 2018 09:29 #10

• rodss67
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
You are correct on the model differences between countries. Wish I could find a 4 speed hi/lo over here. Really odd just having 3 gears.

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart