facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

New Accounts require admin approval

Due to a recent unauthorized access to the site, New accounts will need admin activation. We are sorry for this inconvenience. Register for an account, and an admin will review and approve your account in short order. our user security is our prime concern so this extra hurdle is necessary for a short while. Thanks for your patience. Mako

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ignition system

Ignition system 09 Oct 2018 21:50 #1

• TravellerMing
  • TravellerMing's Avatar Topic Author
CDI or contact point?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ignition system 10 Oct 2018 03:47 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
CDI is best, but most of mine have old school points mags. I'm talking very early "70's points systems on mine which have been totaly reliable i must say, but cdi set ups from very late "70's & into the "80's on yamaha generaly give very little trouble & 9 times out of 10 the reason for 'no go' will be the source coil in the flywheel as the windings are very fine wired compared to an old points mag source coil. For-instance a mag source coil will have a resistance of around 2 ohms where a cdi source of about the same diameter will have 350 ohms & to take that to the extreme--a source coil for my old yz125 will have 1437 ohms [by memory] for a coil of approximately the same diameter as the others. I cut one of those yz ones apart once & the wire strands were finer than my hair--when i had hair!! lol. Sorry if i mis-interpreted your question. Think what i was getting at was cdi coils being finer wired can fail through heat & vibration more often than points coils.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart