facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1972 Yamaha DT2 enduro 250 ... FINALLY!!

1972 Yamaha DT2 enduro 250 ... FINALLY!! 08 Jun 2018 09:23 #1

• mspang
  • mspang's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice
  • Novice
During my early years of riding Suzuki's, I always wanted a DT1 or DT2 bike. I loved the looks then and love it now. Yesterday, I took possession of a really nice DT2 and ready to rebuild those dirt riding skills from decades ago. Fortunately, this bike is ready to ride. The only thing I'd like to take care of early on, is a little work on the gauges. I can't see anything else worth touching. Here's some early picks. I'm sure over time, I'll get some beauty shots. I'm looking forward to finding resource and help on this site to get my baby in fully functional shape.

A few details on condition of the bike now.
  • Motor rebuilt with cylinder bored over once, with new piston (engine oil is Castrol Actevo Part Synthetic, 10w-30 ... 2 cycle oil is Lucas Semi-Synthetic ... NGK B8ES plugs / gap .020 - .023)
  • Front forks rebuilt with emulators, and Maxima 10 wt oil* (5.9 oz)
  • New points, plugs, battery
  • Oil injection tuned
  • New O-ring chain (sealed, no need to lube)
  • New tires
  • New tubes
  • Brakes cleaned

* fork oil - considering different oil to reduce front end bounce.
---

Items to fix:
  • Speedo faceplate is loose - screws came loose, one is missing, presumably fell behind faceplate ... need to remove lens
  • Speedo lens has cloudy spots above two screws ... resurface or replace
  • Tach faceplate is black
  • Tach neutral light doesn't work
  • Tach needle bounces all over ... probably just need to buy a new 'used' tach
  • Headlight bucket red light, I think doesn't work. I haven't ridden the bike with headlight on to see if it works. If not, probably just need new bulb
  • Upgrade cables and brake lines at some point
  • Possibly add turn signals, but only if I can get oem ... I love the look of those.

So as you can see, I'm in a good place on this bike. I also have the Yamaha Combined Service Manual and service notes from seller.

Now for early pics. I'll post better ones later.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: X53flier

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1972 Yamaha DT2 enduro ... yes, my bike has RT2 silver paint scheme ... will go back to pearl yellow at some point.
Last Edit: by mspang.

1972 Yamaha DT2 enduro 250 ... FINALLY!! 08 Jun 2018 09:25 #2

• mspang
  • Novice
  • Novice
A few more. I find it interesting that the VIN on this bike is "DT1F" when it's a DT2 ... I wonder what the back story is on that.

1972 Yamaha DT2 enduro ... yes, my bike has RT2 silver paint scheme ... will go back to pearl yellow at some point.

1972 Yamaha DT2 enduro 250 ... FINALLY!! 08 Jun 2018 10:01 #3

• DaveR
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro

1972 Yamaha DT2 enduro 250 ... FINALLY!! 08 Jun 2018 10:13 #4

• mspang
  • Novice
  • Novice
I had checked that page out, which is what got me wondering why Yamaha chose to keep the DT1F into the DT2 era.

1972 Yamaha DT2 enduro 250 ... FINALLY!! 08 Jun 2018 14:20 #5

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Even more curious is why "F"for the serial number prefix when DT1 models were designated "B", "S", "C" and "E" but never "F".

Most other early Yamaha Enduros had the same serial number prefix for the entire run of the model during the years 1969-73... Like the AT1 and CT1. In 1974, Yamaha started changing prefixes with new models... sometimes...

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

1972 Yamaha DT2 enduro 250 ... FINALLY!! 08 Jun 2018 22:58 #6

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
I had a CT1 tach that had the same appearance behind the glass as yours. The mechanism inside kinda started sawing itself to pieces and the black dust is the remnants of the metal. FYI there's member on this forum named DEET that overhauls the gauges and does excellent work.

Allrighty Then

1972 Yamaha DT2 enduro 250 ... FINALLY!! 10 Jun 2018 17:22 #7

• mspang
  • Novice
  • Novice
MarkT, go figure. Companies do goofy things sometimes.

apex, I have been in touch with DEET and just need to plan the right time to get it done, and save up. :)

Last Edit: by mspang. Reason: update status

1972 Yamaha DT2 enduro 250 ... FINALLY!! 11 Jun 2018 17:25 #8

• mspang
  • Novice
  • Novice
Quick questions.

1) best online source for oem parts
2) are there certain parts I should start "collecting", like bulbs, washers, seals, things that WILL need replacing if I own this bike for at least a few years.
3) anyone know what tools should be in the tool kit? I have most tools, but know I'm missing some. If there is a pic somewhere showing what should be in there, I'd love to see.

I want to add oem turn signals. My hand control has the switch lever (outside). Does this mean the control just needs wiring and flasher? I am curious if most people who add turn signals can find a complete setup, or if it's "easier" to buy what is still available on Partzilla, and "collect" other pieces.

1972 Yamaha DT2 enduro 250 ... FINALLY!! 11 Jun 2018 18:25 #9

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
For service, I like RMATVMC... link is down the right side of most pages here.

Partzilla has good prices... service can be hit and miss... often very good and then it goes bad... I've been burned a few times by them so it's been a while since I bought there. RMATVMC has price matching and better free shipping so last few years I use RMATVMC.

Also DEET and Enduronut are great resources for many hard to find parts and parts rebuilding.... and of course ebay.

Can't say what parts you "need" to collect.... these bikes are pretty reliable... if you are putting on a lot of miles might be worth collecting spares when you see them. Also depends where you live... in some areas you might need to stock up on two stroke oil because no store has any for 50 miles.

On the tools, Enduronut knows a lot... so does DEET... most of the time the owner's manual has a picture. I didn't see a 72 owners manual in the tech library but here are the tool listing from the 1971 and 1973 manuals:

1971:

1973:

1972 was probably about the same.

Attachments:

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

1972 Yamaha DT2 enduro 250 ... FINALLY!! 11 Jun 2018 18:58 #10

• mspang
  • Novice
  • Novice
Thanks Mark, it looks like I'm only missing pliers. I saw another kit on ebay that had a shock adjust tool, but my understanding is we don't need on these shocks. We hand adjust, right?

Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart