facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: RT-2 first startup

RT-2 first startup 12 Mar 2018 15:40 #1

• preyammies
  • preyammies's Avatar Topic Author
Hello, new to the site but not Yammies, all MX models. My spring project is to pull out an RT-2 that I have been sitting on for some 20 yr's.
I will do all the basic cleanings before attempting startup, clean and flush the tank and go through the carb, what I am unfamiliar with is if the autolube system will need repair beyond a tank flush and refill. How reliable are they after sitting? Please advise if further early attention may be needed. Also will this model require a battery for ignition? .......Thanks Guy's ....PS, she's rock stock right down to the original turn signals and factory tool kit ......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RT-2 first startup 13 Mar 2018 03:50 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
No battery required so if she sparks then ya in with a chance. Not sure how bad 'old fuel' is where you are but in NZ here it's terrible crap. wasn't that bad in the old days but now it just makes a crusty blocking up mess. Oil pump--i'd just remove the bleed screw in the side & let it flow for a bit. Lean bike well to the right to avoid it making a mess in the cover under the pump, or deflect it somehow. Then i'd probably remove the banjo bolt at the cylinder & revolve the plastic pump wheel while holding the throttle open or slide the cable roller back to let it pump full stroke & see if oil pulses out the union. Won't get a pig pulse but visible. In reality & me being lazy i'd probably bleed it then start it & crack the union bolt then watch for oil & slide the pulley back to get a good stroke. If you run it like that with banjo bolt out just screw a 6mm screw in a few turns to stop the air which will muck up the slow running. Run premix in the petrol tank if ya going to going to start it like that. In saying 'that' & if it's been sitting for years [how many--20 years wow] the oil tank has likely gravity fed into the motor so she 'could' smoke out the village. If it does then the oil will be right through the exhaust & smoke worse than what's actually going on in the motor once it's cleared out & given [a damn good thrashing lol]. If the plug looks nice & tan/brown then she'll be safe. Unless the pipe can be burnt out there's not a hell of a lot you can do except go for a long ride. Carburetor is possibly a mess but with the side mounted main jet i'd take it out & see what flows, but if the jet looks bad then so will the rest of the carb. If it looks good then give her a kick & see what happens. I could 'go on'--jeez i've gone on, so i'll leave it at that & others will add or rubbish my ideas but that's ok. Maybe drain & refill the oil tank but oil doesn't go off . That reminds me, if playing with that banjo bolt be careful with the tiny oil line as on my 'Rat Bike' HT1 90cc it sat outside for 'who knows' years & the pipe had gone brittle so of course it broke when i removed the banjo bolt & pulled it out a bit. Good luck. Have a few RT2 mostly rat bikes--nothing good here!!, but go like hell. Good wheelie machines.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT

RT-2 first startup 13 Mar 2018 16:24 #3

• preyammies
  • preyammies's Avatar Topic Author
Thank You RT, still figuring how to navigate around here. I see there are very good detailed posts about the auto lube system, pretty sure I can muddle through it .....Thanks again !!!

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart