facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What's up from Detroit!

What's up from Detroit! 10 Aug 2017 16:30 #1

• gnarshark23
  • gnarshark23's Avatar Topic Author
What's up guys,

I'm new to the forum and I am just getting on the site for the first time. I've heard great things and I will start reading through the page tonight and while I have a super busy schedule I'll try top read as much as I can and respond when I can get back on. Like every first post, I am looking for some help on a 1970 DT1.

I am in the process of taking apart my dads DT1 (It was one of hist first bikes when he was younger) I have worked on a quite a few bikes over the years but just basic maintenance, never really broke into the engine or fabrication side until now. I took the jug off and got into the cylinder and piston to see what it was looking like. I thought it seemed pretty good but I took it to a local bike mechanic for his opinion and he said the cylinder was pretty bad. It is measuring at multiple mm up and down it, ranging from 70.1-70.5 in some spots for which this is a 70mm piston stock. So the goal is to bore it one over, however; I am struggling to find a 71mm piston for this year/model. Does anyone know of a place to locate this size or know off hand a potential yz or other model 71 might retro fit to this? If not, what suggestions might any of you have?

I appreciate the help and stoked to join and get involved.

AJ

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Makotosun.

What's up from Detroit! 10 Aug 2017 17:46 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sentHere's a 1mm over kit--[well clips missing ]

A DT1MX single ring kit would be ok too, slightly shorter on the inlet side to perk it up a bit.
probably more in this link if you look for 4th over or 1mm over. Hi from NZ by the way.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: gnarshark23

What's up from Detroit! 10 Aug 2017 18:01 #3

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
The second link wouldn't post but was just ebay & put in DT1 4th over piston or piston kit & also DT1MX kit would be good. Sometimes just piston gets you further than kits & then if you find a piston then go looking for rings. Look for 1mm over also but think you've been doing that!!. Yams go in 10thou steps [0.25mm] where think Suzy go in 20thou steps.

What's up from Detroit! 10 Aug 2017 18:09 #4

• gnarshark23
RT325 Stellar thank you so much, I'll definitely look take a look and use that phrase to search for better results.

Thanks and high five from the high five state haha.

AJ

What's up from Detroit! 10 Aug 2017 18:27 #5

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
just a thought, be careful because occasionally i've seen DT1 pistons up there that are DT2 with reed valve inlet holes which started in "72 but 214 numbers should be right--or whatever the DT1MX version is [think 285 by memory].

What's up from Detroit! 12 Aug 2017 08:31 #6

• gnarshark23
Thanks again, did some searching for a while and came across a 4th over with rings (214 model) and bought it. It should be here next week. I have a slew of other small parts and gaskets I need to get to put it back together, I'll put that list up here as well shortly and see what everyone thinks. I've found a couple online but seems pretty scarce, so I'll check at a local Yamaha dealer as well.

Cheers
AJ

What's up from Detroit! 12 Aug 2017 17:49 #7

• Rick Rommel
  • Novice
  • Novice
I am also riding my dad's DT1-C and have had good luck using www.speedandsportinc.com/ for parts. Good luck with your project.

288501A

What's up from Detroit! 14 Aug 2017 06:45 #8

• gnarshark23
Hey Rick,

Awesome thank you for the heads up man I had not come across that site yet. I'll check it out today.

Cheers
AJ

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart