facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hello from SoCal

Hello from SoCal 23 Sep 2014 15:38 #1

• ahaquin88
  • ahaquin88's Avatar Topic Author
Hi All........

Just picked up a 71 AT1 (correction 1972 AT2) and hoping to get some insight and connect with some part sources here. It ran when it went into storage 20 years ago and, according to odometer, it has 1240 miles in it.
I found out the Yokohamas are no longer available............any suggestions on a set a tires? Will see about 50/50 street/dirt.

Thanks, I look forward to getting this thing back to life.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by ahaquin88.

Hello from SoCal 23 Sep 2014 16:17 #2

• Scootern29
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Welcome ahaquin88, that bike looks cool and real complete. I think you have a later bike than 71. I believe the badge tanks are 71 without directional's. Some one will chime in on the exact year. I have a CT3 but the vin is stamped CT1 which could be throwing you off.

I'm in the Socal desert. Where are you?

Carry on. likey

Question authority, think for yourself!
Last Edit: by Scootern29.

Hello from SoCal 23 Sep 2014 17:13 #3

• Devin
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Cell 805-914-8299
looks to be a 1972 AT 125. If you are going off the date on the vin sticker, The bikes were made a year prior to release. The date on the vin sticker is not the actual year of the bike. Under the workshop section is the vin code chart. That is the best way to determine what you have. Looks like a survivor in great shape. likey

Last Edit: by Devin.

Hello from SoCal 23 Sep 2014 20:09 #4

• pntrbl
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Welcome! SoCal is a hotbed of Enduro action.

On the tires Kenda's are popular dollar wise. I like Pirelli MT43's but they cost more ...

You should probably plan on brakes shoes because old ones can de-laminate and cause abrupt unplanned stopping. Not good when it happens on the front wheel.

Crankseals are another age related issue but you could fire it up 1st and see how it runs.

Carb might need cleaning.

Last Edit: by pntrbl.

Hello from SoCal 24 Sep 2014 05:05 #5

• ahaquin88
Thanks for the info. I live in Woodcrest just south of Riverside city limits. Already getting some much needed help from this site.

First problem I encounter was a massive leak at the fuel valve. Probably an easy fix, but I ordered a new one as well as a carb kit. Thanks for the tip on the brake shoes. My plan is to get it running and ride it some then tear it down and "cherry" it out.

I'll check the VIN code chart for actual date / model.

I was pretty pumped to find this as I wanted one when I was a kid; well the MX version that is.

Last Edit: by ahaquin88.

Hello from SoCal 24 Sep 2014 05:41 #6

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
Welcome to the site! Hopefully you read the thread on inexpensive peacocks on here! My guess would be the rubber inside yours is bad. Also a good idea to replace the 30 year old fuel line.

Yours is a 72 and a very nice one. The At's MUST have a good, charged battery to run! Their electrics are more complex than the other bikes. Download a manual from the download section. All of the electric start bikes are essentially the same mec, except I believe yours started with reeds.

That is a neat bike and the 115's in that year seem to be somewhat scarce.

Always start with a good carb cleaning. I always start by replacing main & pilot jets (cheap) so I eliminate a common issue. The manual will have your correct OEM sizes.

Sent via Tapatalk

You can tell a professional by the lack of wrinkles in his duct tape.
Last Edit: by Makotosun.

Hello from SoCal 24 Sep 2014 05:41 #7

• ahaquin88
Yep, just confirmed it's a 72 AT2...........love it.

And, thanks for the help!

Hello from SoCal 24 Sep 2014 18:34 #8

• pntrbl
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

ahaquin88 wrote: I was pretty pumped to find this as I wanted one when I was a kid; well the MX version that is.

Yeah, we all wanted the MX. But there's a lot to be said for having a license plate and oil injection. Opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Hello from SoCal 24 Sep 2014 19:01 #9

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

pntrbl wrote: Yeah, we all wanted the MX. But there's a lot to be said for having a license plate and oil injection. Opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Yup- especially these days where more and more remote off road trails and areas are being closed unless you are "street legal"...

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

Hello from SoCal 25 Sep 2014 19:20 #10

• Ron
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Be sure to compare your stock carb parts to what comes in the kits. The new parts are not always the same and you'd be wise to stick with the stock jetting, until you have a little time on the bike.

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart