facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Picture Attachment problem (09 Jul 2022)

Due to the extraordinary growth of the membership and resources, we are once again bumping up against hosting limits. I am working on a fix. In the meantime, the forum should function, but you won’t be able to attach images. Working as fast s we can to fix. Thanks for your patience. - Makotosun

New In Washington.

• Jgriggs
  • Jgriggs's Avatar Topic Author

New In Washington. was created by Jgriggs

New here in eastern Washington state. Been riding motorcycles since I was a kid, I don't suppose that song is any much different than most here. My first bike was an 83ish XT 250, then we added a small mid 70's Yamaha 60, JT It must have been. Anyway after that a parade of street bikes over the years until a friend offered a TTR 230. I took it, explored some dirt roads etc. and got all misty eyed with those water colored memories of my youth. Sold the TTR because I needed cash for another project. Well, I stumbled on a LT2 100 on the old marketplace for 200 bucks, not running, possibly seized up. So I did what a guy does and bought it just RIGHT NOW. Turns out it isn't seized up, can turn it over from the flywheel, but the kick starter is missing. so that needs to be replaced. Anyway, can't wait to get it going. plan on just riding and smiling.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Sneezles61, Crazy Horse 124
Last edit: 23 Jan 2023 15:08 by Jgriggs.
23 Jan 2023 14:29 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic New In Washington.

Welcome from the Space Coast of Florida.
1976 DT400C
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
23 Jan 2023 16:46 #2

• Ht1kid
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Ht1kid on topic New In Washington.

Greetings from Tennessee. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

23 Jan 2023 16:50 #3

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic New In Washington.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

from near Salisbury, UK.
23 Jan 2023 23:41 #4

Replied by yamahahaha on topic New In Washington.

With my limited experience I say yes you should be able to start it at the flywheel using a drill. Hope someone else will confirm
24 Jan 2023 04:04 #5

• Jgriggs

Replied by Jgriggs on topic New In Washington.

I don't have the key either. I assume the key acts as a kill switch. Im not really trying to start it yet, it has been out in the snow and rain since last summer from what I'm told with no oil cap on the crankcase. Frankly I'm surprised it does turn over.
24 Jan 2023 05:05 #6

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic New In Washington.

Sitting out in the snow and rain with no oil cap on I'd pull the side cover to see how bad it is in there, might want to pull your clutch apart and inspect the disks while you're at it. Hopefully it's not all rusted up in there!

As for starting it with a drill on the flywheel a member here, RT325, has done it with no issues, I've turned over my DT175 using that method checking for spark too.
1976 DT400C
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
24 Jan 2023 06:59 #7

• Jgriggs

Replied by Jgriggs on topic New In Washington.

It's got to be pretty bad in there. The kick start shaft is frozen up I think. I don't have the lever for it, but I can't get a hint of movement out of it with vice grips on the shaft. Of course I didn't try too hard, don't want to chew up the splines. But with the little effort I did put in, she be stuck. No idea about the clutch, I don't have a clutch lever. Yeah, It's pretty close to a basket case. But it's complete and the engine turns over freely. And, the License plate expired in 75. Cool thing about that is that with a manufacture date of 8/71 per ID tag, that tells me that I will likely be the 2nd legal owner. Washington state would have issued a new plate with the title transfer.No body in 48 years has transfered the title. 6500 miles showing on it. Most of those could easily have been done in those 3 or 4 years from new purchase to last plate renewal. Obviously it could have been run on private land, it could have changed hands 100 times. Only the bike knows it's history. But I think theres enough there to justify the time and effort, and of course the hoops the state will throw in front of me to get title. wonder what the date code on the tires is.

Guess I'm a sucker for a back story, real or imagined. The day Mt St Helens blew up, she was already off the road for 5 years. Probably in a barn someplace. The state was being buried in ash, and this little bike somehow avoided being destroyed by trhat fine talcum powder ash. other cars and trucks were not saved, went to the crusher. This little bike was protected and saved.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid, YamahaForumUsername
24 Jan 2023 12:58 #8

• YamahaForumUsername
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by YamahaForumUsername on topic New In Washington.

Use the "vermont loop hole" if washington state is having problems registering it.
24 Jan 2023 14:28 #9

• Crazy Horse 124
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Crazy Horse 124 on topic New In Washington.

Welcome to the group from western Oregon. Still working on my current project (my right elbow) Had the 2nd surgery on it on the 23rd of January' It will be awhile before i am riding again.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jgriggs
28 Jan 2023 13:43 #10

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart