facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Picture Attachment problem (09 Jul 2022)

Due to the extraordinary growth of the membership and resources, we are once again bumping up against hosting limits. I am working on a fix. In the meantime, the forum should function, but you won’t be able to attach images. Working as fast s we can to fix. Thanks for your patience. - Makotosun

Time to get the IT175E back on the trails

• OneOwnerIT
  • OneOwnerIT's Avatar Topic Author

Time to get the IT175E back on the trails was created by OneOwnerIT

Hi folks,

I recently discovered the forum and appreciate the wealth of information here.

Santa Claus was feeling very generous in 1978 when I was in high school and he brought me a brand new IT175E for Christmas (I had been a good boy). I enjoyed lots of desert and mountain riding on that bike and competed in a few enduros in California's Mojave Desert. It wasn't long before I yearned for more power and suspension travel, so I found a good deal on a used Husqvarna WR360 and parked the IT. During college it was harder to get away and ride, and then later I got involved in various forms of car racing, while the IT languished in my parents' garage, save for a very occasional ride up and down the street.

A couple weeks ago (forty-some years later) my father showed up at my house with my IT175 on his trailer. He said it was time to clean up the garage and there were too many motorcycles in it, so this one had to come live with me now.

Well, I feel like I have been reunited with an old friend. In the last week I've gone shopping for a helmet and boots, bought new tires and tubes, devarnished the carb, and scoured the internet learning all about vintage motorcycle restoration. It starts on the first kick every time now, and my quest is to restore it to showroom condition. I can't wait to get it out on some trails again.

Here it is, straight out of hibernation:

Thank you all in advance for entertaining the questions I will inevitably be pestering you with.

-Jeff in Sparks, Nevada

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Steve F, bluntz465, Swoop56, AirborneSilva, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
Last edit: 27 Jun 2022 17:23 by OneOwnerIT.
27 Jun 2022 17:21 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Time to get the IT175E back on the trails

Welcome from Germantown Tennessee 
27 Jun 2022 17:32 #2

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic Time to get the IT175E back on the trails

Welcome from the Space Coast of Florida.
1976 DT400C
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
28 Jun 2022 02:48 #3

Replied by Steve F on topic Time to get the IT175E back on the trails

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

from the great lakes state of Mi. Don't forget to check out the tech section on this site. You'll need the manual on the DT series of your 78IT175E for ref. I use it often....
1974 DT250A
1974 DT250A
1977 IT175D "Alex'
1978 IT175E "Paul"
"And there ya have it"
Last edit: 28 Jun 2022 03:34 by Steve F.
28 Jun 2022 03:33 #4

Replied by msavitt on topic Time to get the IT175E back on the trails

welcome from OC CA
cool bike and cook story, you had nice parents!
you have come to the right place, I have learned so much from the experts on this site, no snottiness when I am confused either!
one thing you might want to do is to replace the front brake shoes as the lining sometimes de-glues from the shoes.  I didn't really believe this until I bought a '71 DT1E and the linings fell out when I removed the brake.  You might be okay since it was in pops' garage, but not worth a fractured skull in middle age.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
28 Jun 2022 14:23 #5

Replied by darinm on topic Time to get the IT175E back on the trails

Welcome! For what it's worth the DC plastics kits aren't restoration quality, they own that on their page but just wanted to reiterate. Their kits certainly do look good from a distance and are perfect for a rider condition bike. I ride down in your area from time to time, well more up 80 but not too far away if you ever want to join.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
1986 Yamaha IT200
2013 Yamaha XT250
28 Jun 2022 16:12 #6

Replied by RT325 on topic Time to get the IT175E back on the trails

Welcome from down under in NZ. I remember those great models very well. Worked for local Yamaha dealer. Picked up a burnt out one once & made it uasable for local motocrossing in the ebduro class. Was a lot of fun & not slow either.
28 Jun 2022 17:21 #7

• OneOwnerIT
  • OneOwnerIT's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by OneOwnerIT on topic Time to get the IT175E back on the trails

Thanks, DARINM. Tell me about the places you ride in this area. I'll definitely be looking for places and riding partners.

There is a lot of BLM desert land open for riding very near me, but I've always liked mountain forest trail riding the best. I went for a hike with my wife a couple months ago near Stampede Reservoir north of Truckee and stumbled on some trails open for riding. This was before I got my IT back and I said to her how much I would just love to explore all those trails on a motorcycle. Through an unexpected series of events it looks like I just might have that opportunity.
29 Jun 2022 17:57 #8

Replied by darinm on topic Time to get the IT175E back on the trails

Mostly ride around Soda Springs as a good friend and riding partner lives there, mostly dual sport riding so far but also have done the Burlington OHV area which is off Hwy 20 and fun single track in the trees. Sounds like we have similar taste, desert riding isn't my thing. From what I remember hearing the stuff off Stampede is pretty tough riding but no first hand experience.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
1986 Yamaha IT200
2013 Yamaha XT250
29 Jun 2022 18:30 #9

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart