facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Question New Member: Wanting to restore an old GT80

Replied by adguy2112 on topic New Member: Wanting to restore an old GT80

Those inset fasteners can be a challenge when they strip out. A good impact driver, when used before they're too far gone is often the best way to go, in my opinion. Then get replacements from motodad on ebay if he has them for that model. I've had to resort to vice grips but you need to get a bite on the screw head. Maybe needle nose vice grips would get enough of a bite in those cover indents. All that said I agree with Schu. Get it in neutral first as I said in my earlier post and check for spark. I'm not as familiar with the GT80 but, in other enduro models, there is a shift arm behind the clutch basket that can come out of adjustment and the arm can slip under the shift pins essentially locking the shifter in place. Other causes could be the metal ball that helps find and hold in Neutral could be missing, damaged or lost by the previous owner. I haven't experienced that but others have said that's something to look out for. The rock back and forth method (with chain on) is the best first step before you go to these measures. There are some mini experts on this site that know far more about these models. I'm sure one of them will chime in sooner or later.
13 Jan 2022 15:10 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by adguy2112 on topic New Member: Wanting to restore an old GT80

Incidentally, there is a 73 GT80 service manual in the tech library.
13 Jan 2022 15:23 #12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart