facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Question New Member: Wanting to restore an old GT80

• HornyPlatypus
  • HornyPlatypus's Avatar Topic Author

New Member: Wanting to restore an old GT80 was created by HornyPlatypus

Hi! 

My name is Eric and I am a 22 year old senior in college studying cyber security. I've been riding motorcycles since April 2021. I bought a 2018 Honda CB300F and learned to ride on that and did about 4000 miles on it. I also fell in love with motorcycles on it. I just recently traded it in for a 2021 Honda CBR500R. 

So why am I here? Well I have been wanting to improve my mechanical abilities and today while browsing craigslist I found just the oppurtunity. I stumbled across a pretty beat up GT80 with an asking price of $150. Seller claims they bought it from someone who said they got it running but it was stuck in gear, that they never touched it, don't know anything about it, and are wanting to get rid of some things. From what I can tell this is about as mechanically simple of a bike as one can find so I went ahead and bought it. 

I figured it would be a great chance for me to try to restore it with the main goal being for me to learn more about mechanical work in general. If I can't fix it but I learn more about how to work on my cars and my other bike I would consider that a win. So far my mechanical experience is pretty limited. I did some basic stuff to my CB300F like a gear shift indicator, aftermarket lights, phone charger, etc.. The most advanced job I've done to date was putting a aftermarket downpipe on my 2017 VW GTI. 

What I'd really like to know is this: 
With a lot of time and determination (and less than $1000 in parts), what do you guys think my odds are at getting this thing rideable? 
Even if I fail to get it rideable, is there a good chance I will come out of this with enough knowledge to make me glad I gave it a shot?
Was $150 a fair price to pay for this?

Thanks Everyone! I will likely come back here to get help if (when) I run into problems with this project!
11 Jan 2022 10:32 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic New Member: Wanting to restore an old GT80

This image is hidden for guests.

from near Salisbury, UK Eric.

You've certainly come to the right place for help and reference documents. In this regard, have a browse through the Tech Library for any documents relating to your bike.

Have a look at my post #14 on the attached thread regarding sourcing parts.

We have members here who have in depth knowledge of the GT80 and they will be along soon to offer their advice.

$150 is a great price and $1000 is a generous budget.

Good luck!

Brian's RT1 restoration - Page 2 - Vintage Enduro Discussions (yamaha-enduros.com)

The following user(s) Liked this Post: HornyPlatypus
11 Jan 2022 10:47 #2

Replied by MarkT on topic New Member: Wanting to restore an old GT80

These Yamahas are hard to kill. If you don’t care about cosmetics and just want to ride it, you might get away with a near zero budget. 

welcome! And have fun with it… don’t be afraid to ask questions. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
11 Jan 2022 12:16 #3

I would have jumped on that deal. Looks to be quite complete. You are guaranteed to learn a lot during this process. Bikes are easy to take apart for beginners, but not as easy to put back together for beginners. So take on one task at a time and you are less likely to get overwhelmed and give up. Great people on this forum, and lots of answers are already here for you to search as needed. I have an earlier version of that same bike and will help when I can. Good luck and have fun.
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
11 Jan 2022 14:19 #4

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic New Member: Wanting to restore an old GT80

Welcome. Good to see another young guy in this arena.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
11 Jan 2022 14:28 #5

Replied by adguy2112 on topic New Member: Wanting to restore an old GT80

Welcome! a few practical steps
If its still stuck in gear see if you can get it in neutral. Sometimes it's easier to pull up on the gearshift lever with your hand rather than your foot when stuck between gears. Once you get it in neutral pull the spark plug and give it a few light kicks while touching the threads of the spark plug on the cylinder head with the plug wire attached. If you have spark pat yourself on the back and go watch Jeopardy. The next step will be the carburetor. Lets pace ourselves!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Mkdxxx, HornyPlatypus
11 Jan 2022 15:15 #6

Replied by msavitt on topic New Member: Wanting to restore an old GT80

Great bargain - I would have bought on the spot. Also cool to see a lad interested in a gasoline powered machine that doesn’t require a lithium ion battery from China to run!  Take your time and take advantage of all the experts and content on this site and you will have a cool little bike!

good luck, lots of pics please too!
12 Jan 2022 01:12 #7

• HornyPlatypus
  • HornyPlatypus's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by HornyPlatypus on topic New Member: Wanting to restore an old GT80

Thanks for all the support and suggestions! 

So I hosed it down and done a basic clean but I'm coming across a lot of really tough and built up grime that i'll have to more carefully clean later. 

I have taken some parts off (tank, oil tank thing, exhaust, seat) to be able to get better access to things but i'm making sure to track what goes where. 

The real challenge I am currently facing is twofold.
1. The transmission is certainly stuck in gear and the clutch lever doesn't seem to really be doing anything. I think its stuck in 4th because the shift lever goes up a lot but won't go down really at all. 
2. This bike seems to be held together almost exclusively by screws. Screws which are all stripped, seized, or both. Many of the worst of these screws are holding the clutch cover in place so I need to tackle those before I can really get anywhere. 

To deal with the screws I have been spraying them with penetrating lube daily to prepare them for the next step which I will be attempting sometime soon. 
Try to get them off with T-Handle Japanese Philips.
If that doesn't work for a given screw, cut a line in the screw head with a dremel and try to manual impact driver them out with a flat head.
Next is electric impact. 
Next is just drilling the damn things. 

I have bought a set of hex screws to replace the current screws. 

Now for the dumb questions: 
1. The key was lost long ago. How do I bypass the ignition?
2. It doesn't have a battery yet (I have one on order). Do I need a battery to get spark from the plug? 
3. Should I make a separate post for ongoing updates / requesting help or should I just leave it in this post? 

Thanks again everyone!

Last edit: 13 Jan 2022 10:08 by HornyPlatypus.
13 Jan 2022 10:01 #8

This message has attachments images.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic New Member: Wanting to restore an old GT80

The ignition switch can be bypassed - I don't know how, but others will be along shortly to let you know. However, if you can see a number on the face of the ignition barrel, then you can get a key cut from this. You can go via your local dealer, search ebay or online.

I don't think that you need a battery for spark.

I would be tempted to start a new thread for each specific query.
13 Jan 2022 10:07 #9

Hey HP,
You are starting to take the bike apart without a plan of attack. For example, you have removed the chain and the shift lever, and they need to be installed in order to get the bike into neutral. With the chain wrapped around both sprockets, you need to rock the bike back and forth while trying to click the shifter downward into neutral. Don't worry about how the clutch feels. Rocking the bike with the chain installed will force the transmission to move the gears ever so slightly and help it downshift into neutral even without using the clutch. The shifter doesn't move incrementally as you advance thru the gears. It ratchets back to its same position after each shift.

I would focus on getting the bike into neutral as a good first task.
(EDIT) the GT80 has a unique shift pattern. You click up to "upshift" thru all four gears, and you click down to "downshift" back to neutral. Your previous bikes were different I'm sure.

Then I would bypass the ignition switch and check for spark.

Otherwise you will soon have a pile of parts, which is often referred to as "A Basket Case".

Just my opinion.
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: adguy2112
Last edit: 13 Jan 2022 15:09 by Schu.
13 Jan 2022 14:41 #10

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart