facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

DT250A Project Bike

• Toxic Crow
  • Toxic Crow's Avatar Topic Author

DT250A Project Bike was created by Toxic Crow

Hi All,
I have just bought myself a DT250A project bike, imported into the UK from the US. I have had a numbers of RD’s in the past, but not a trail bike, so a new departure for me and I’m looking forward to the journey of discovery for the replacement parts and also advice from those more knowledgeable than myself!
lHi All,
I have just bought myself a DT250A project bike, imported into the UK from the US. I have had a numbers of RD’s in the past, but not a trail bike, so a new departure for me and I’m looking forward to the journey of discovery for the replacement parts and also advice from those more knowledgeable than myself!
lt has obviously seen better days, but it will be restored and ridden again! Hi All,
lHi All,
lt has obviously seen better days, but it will be restored and ridden again! t has obviously seen better days, but it will be restored and ridden again!  t has obviously seen better days, but it will be restored and ridden again!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Schu
24 Nov 2021 12:45 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by adguy2112 on topic DT250A Project Bike

I can see the diamond in the rough. Looks pretty complete. New rear fender, seat pan, foam and cover. Desert orange candy paint, new chain, new trials tires, handlebars, turn signals, battery. I have this exact model and looking forward to restoring in when I can get finished with two other projects. If the engine checks out with minimal work you'll be riding before you know it. Congrats.
24 Nov 2021 15:59 #2

Replied by msavitt on topic DT250A Project Bike

really nice find!
wheels look great, how many miles on the speedo?
Importing this into UK must have taken patience, your probably a clever bloke and will have this running in no time. 
Are you planning to ride on the road?  I got all mine road legal, its quite fun showing the eBike crowd here in S CA what a real machine looks, sounds and smells like!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Schu
24 Nov 2021 18:47 #3

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic DT250A Project Bike

This image is hidden for guests.

from Dorset.

Now that is some faded paintwork!

I've got six RDs myself and am also on the aircooledrd forum.

My number one tip for buying parts is to research exactly what they look like (CMSNL is good for this) and then do generic searches - ie not just for a DT250A. Loads of parts are incorrectly described on places like fleabay, usually accidentally.
24 Nov 2021 23:48 #4

Replied by Schu on topic DT250A Project Bike

"Now that is some faded paintwork!"

Wait...What? I thought that was a repaint until your comment got me to look again.
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
25 Nov 2021 07:24 #5

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic DT250A Project Bike

"Wait...What? I thought that was a repaint until your comment got me to look again."

Yes, I thought it was painted silver at first glance, but then saw the original gold/orange where the back of the tank was covered by the seat.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Schu
25 Nov 2021 07:40 #6

Replied by run103 on topic DT250A Project Bike

I always wonder why every bike rusts differently.  How can the fender be so rusted and the shocks look totally clean. Im thinking a 100 hours labour and a bunch more time on Inet looking for parts. I believe these bikes could easily do another 40 years the second time around. Yamaha knows how to build stuff.  Did then and still does.  If these bikes would have had plastic or aluminum seat pans they would have been perfect.  Those seat pans are a pain but everything else seems to hang on pretty good.  I have done over 20 bikes and that is the worst rear fender I have seen.  Remove the mag cover and the flywheel and see how bad the point rub bar has rusted into the flywheel. If your lucky some grease may have saved it.  Its only time and money    
Doug 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61, adguy2112
25 Nov 2021 08:04 #7

This message has attachments images.

Replied by MarkT on topic DT250A Project Bike

Yamaha did go to plastic seat pans on the later models...  have to remember "unbreakable" plastic was a relatively new way to make a motorcycle fender in the early 1970's...  and on an enduro, still needed a metal brace to support large heavy taillight and license plate as required by law.

Plastic seat pans aren't the best either...  when weathered, they crumble to dust at the slightest touch.  No way to fix..  At least many of the steel pans have a chance at being repaired. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
25 Nov 2021 08:53 #8

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart