facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

New Guy from Muscle Shoals Alabama

• tennbamaman
  • tennbamaman's Avatar Topic Author

New Guy from Muscle Shoals Alabama was created by tennbamaman

Good Day, im 57 years old and i live in Muscle Shoals Alabama.  Because i owned a 175 and 250 enduro as i was growing up, i wanted to find something similar.  I have recently acquired a pretty neat little Yamaha 1971 AT1C.  It appears to be very stock.  Obviously needs lots of work as it is a non-runner.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, t-bone, mdscott
21 Apr 2021 11:17 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic New Guy from Muscle Shoals Alabama

This image is hidden for guests.

from Salisbury, UK.

Nice little find. 

21 Apr 2021 12:35 #2

• tennbamaman

Replied by tennbamaman on topic New Guy from Muscle Shoals Alabama

Thanks, just have to figure out how to get it running right.
21 Apr 2021 12:51 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic New Guy from Muscle Shoals Alabama

Welcome. There lies the question. In what way is it not running right. Keen to help.
21 Apr 2021 13:34 #4

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic New Guy from Muscle Shoals Alabama

Another

from the UK
Great find, looks very complete.
Yamaha RT-1
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Honda XR250
21 Apr 2021 14:21 #5

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic New Guy from Muscle Shoals Alabama

Welcome from Titusville Florida, there's lot's of very smart people on here that can/will help you get your bike going.  First is does it have spark, compression and is it getting fuel? 
21 Apr 2021 14:25 #6

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic New Guy from Muscle Shoals Alabama

Clean the carb a few times, making sure all the passageways are blown clear with compressed air, put in a new spark plug and battery (Must have a fully charged battery to start & run), fresh gas (clean the tank if need be), and try to start it.. If it starts, don't run it long, as the oil [ump might not be working. In that case, run premix (32:1) until you get the pump working.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2021 14:54 by Mothersbaugh.
21 Apr 2021 14:52 #7

And change out at the very least, the front brake shoes. They can delaminate and lock the front wheel if they are the 40+-year-old originals.
21 Apr 2021 14:53 #8

• tennbamaman

Replied by tennbamaman on topic New Guy from Muscle Shoals Alabama

Thanks to all and yes i need help, lol.  I love a good project but trying not to worry folks with things until i have done my home work.  i can tell you were im at the my prognosis. Currently the bike will run at about 2000 rpms with WOT and only with WOT.  Air, idle, and or choke does not appear to have an affect.  Smokes like crazy out exhaust port and end of pipe.  will not idle at all.

The tank had several leaks and full of rust.  It has not been back on the bike and everything i have tried as it relates to starting and running has been just using a large in line fuel filter and hose with premixed oil.  
The guy i got it from said it needed top end as it was filling up with oil.  I did hear it run but barely and it was by putting gas directly in carb.  I tested compression and it was 125 but i went ahead and put new piston and rings in it.  Compression came up to 135.
I have cleaned carb twice but i have not put kit in it.  i bought a ebay carb and it never even fired up with it.  I went back to original carb as i would like to use it anyway.
Current proccess is trying to rebuid air filter.  Tank is cleaned and sealed with POR-15.  It is in curing process.
I have new plugs ordered but i tried both that were in there.  I am trying to figure out how to build and do leak down test,  I think i may be pulling oil up from transmission.  It does throw lots of oil out exhause port while running.
Starts right up when i hold throttle wide open.  sputters and its not crisp and only about 2500 rpms.  As stated ealier, will not idle and no adjustments have any affect.  smokes like crazy but it is a 2 stroke
21 Apr 2021 18:12 #9

Have you burned out the exhaust pipe? Could be loaded with oil that over the years got past the oil pump check ball...

If the tank was rusty and a mess, you could have gotten some of that in the carb again. Is the petcock cleaned out? That could be blocked either with rust or varnish from old gas.

Have you cleaned the points? (Which bike are we talking about again?) Definitely put in a new plug. If there is oil in the cylinder, it'll be fouling plugs, I bet.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2021 20:29 by Mothersbaugh.
21 Apr 2021 20:24 #10

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart