facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Autolube oil flow.

• Aubs
  • Aubs's Avatar Topic Author

Autolube oil flow. was created by Aubs

Hi , Recently acquired 1973 DT250. Have tried to adjust autolube oil flow without success. Pump has no shims and delivers far too much oil on full throttle and no oil on idle. i cant afford a new pump so am thinking of petrol oil mixture and not using autolube. I wish to keep oil delivery pipe as is to keep it cosmetically the same . What alterations do I need to do and what ratio of two stroke oil per litre do I use. Looking forward to your replies. Aubs from Wales.
23 Jan 2021 02:30 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Autolube oil flow.

DEET restores them. However, he is in the US, so postage would add to the cost.

I know of someone in the UK who carries out the same work for members of the aircooledrd club. It might be worth an exchange of ideas with him first, before going the pre-mix route. Let me know if you want his details.
23 Jan 2021 03:44 #2

Replied by nhsteve on topic Autolube oil flow.

Not sure how you are determining the oil output, but there is sort of a spec for pump output.

With the motor off, the drill is to have the pump wound up to maximum, and then measure the output after 200 turns of the white plastic wheel. I turned the throttle wide open then held it there with duct tape. so I could use both hands. Rigged a small medicine (Nyquil!) cup to catch the output. If memory serves it is around 9ml for the 250/360 and around 5ml for the 125/175, but do check with a manual before holding me to those numbers.

I did the check for my 360A and it was right around the 9ml mark. I was concerned in the opposite direction (that it was too lean) and was relieved that it was within spec.

The pic is of my setup on the 360A. And even though the pump has been rebuilt and it is to spec for output, I still run some pre-mix at 50:1 in the tank along with straight gas, so yes, I am hedging my bet. Pistons ain't cheap any more.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Quartermaster35
23 Jan 2021 07:41 #3

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Aubs

Replied by Aubs on topic Autolube oil flow.

Thanks Steve My plastic gear is underneath pump so i could not get drill onto it and had to do it manually which was a real pain.
24 Jan 2021 00:30 #4

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic Autolube oil flow.

if you are going to premix it, i'd pull the roll pin out that guides the cable reel to increase the oil with throttle. Without the pin the return spring will push the reel up so when it reaches full stroke height it'll stop it coming back down. That way you can leave the cable connected & still have the advantage of the spring return. Otherwise the throttle spring on its own is too light--'i think'.
On second thoughts if you do nothing except blank off the line into the pump i don't think it'll run dry but just end up with enough oil to keep it lubed internally but not pump up to the cylinder as not enough oil in pump to do that--so just revolve. Maybe i'll just shut up.
Only tricks i've got away with. At work in the early AG100 farm bike days we had the odd roll pin fall out, i suppose not tights enough from new. Pin was still in the cover so put it back in from the unused end & seemed tight enough. Just don't tap it in too far or stops the pump movement, or it forces its way to full stroke but won't return. which is possibly why in later years they had a small 4mm? stepped bolt so it couldn't be put in too far. Anyway--everything you didn't really want to know lol.

Or--you could remove the plastic pump drive gear in the primary case. Pumps sometime gravity feed into the motor if the very small ball & spring get some fluff under it. It's on the feed line at the pump union up to the cylinder--very fine spring & miniature ball bearing.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2021 02:46 by RT325.
24 Jan 2021 02:20 #5

• Aubs

Replied by Aubs on topic Autolube oil flow.

Thanks for your response, all very usefull
25 Jan 2021 00:31 #6

Replied by msavitt on topic Autolube oil flow.

This post is very helpful, I am going to check my pump output before firing my 360 rebuild up and check output.
Thanks
Martin
25 Jan 2021 01:43 #7

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart